cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you unload you camper from truck when camping?

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on buying my first truck camper, but having never had one I'm not sure how easy they are to take on and off a truck.

However, I have a Ford F350 dually that I 'd like to take camping for 2-3 days at a time, and also tow my drift boat behind it (the boat and trailer are under 20' long and probably weigh in the neighborhood of 500# combined).

Some of the places I'd like to launch my boat are somewhat tight to get into, and would be easier to access if the camper was not on the truck.

So my question is, is it relatively easy, and practical, to take the camper off the truck for relatively short stays? (I understand it can also depend in part on where I will be camping.)

In addition, are their stabilizers to help stabilize a camper when it is off your truck?

Thanks, John
a_flyfisher
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
user113 wrote:
So...because there's more to it than just boat launching, if I may ask, for those of you who do not unload, how do you get the thing level? How do you cook your pancakes like that?

Huh?
You don't level up your camper on the truck?
It involves fine placement of shims and spacers in the truck bed under the camper.......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
If we stay more than 3 days at a campground we unload:C

This morning... first white carpet in Chatham PQ
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leveling blocks and/or jacks depending on the terrain.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
user113 wrote:
So...because there's more to it than just boat launching, if I may ask, for those of you who do not unload, how do you get the thing level? How do you cook your pancakes like that?

Leveling blocks under the front tires (because the back end still sits high, even with the camper on it.)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

user113
Explorer III
Explorer III
2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Haven't unloaded yet. Nice to have all our stuff during the day trips, and a charged battery when back at camp. Steep boat ramps are easily handled with 4 wheel low, and a bungee comes in handy to keep the back door open for visibility when backing down a ramp.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be big on unloading,now like to have the bathroom and frig along for the ride.

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two Stable Lift Systems. One on an Arctic Fox 990 the other a Lance 835. I LOVED that system in both campers.....

I will probably add it to my 1191, I just need it not to rust! (I live on the Oregon Coast)
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the reasons I have a truck camper is so I can tow boats. I take mine off most of the time depending on the situation and certaily would for what you are describing. I struggled at first when I got my Dodge until I figured out that the bed rails are not parallel. Now I just look for equal spacing at the back on each side by using the mirrors. Takes a little practice but piece of cake, rarely need to recenter, only takes a few minutes to load/unload with electric jacks and never use a spotter.
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
You could also put a front hitch on the truck. It might help for some places.
On a recent trip we saw a fellow with a front hitch on his truck. He unlaunched his boat in minutes. That would be my preference if I had a boat.

We do not remove our camper from the truck because there is only a fraction of an inch clearance between the camper and the jig that locates the camper in the truck bed. Putting the camper back on the truck takes so long that we don't even want to attempt it.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't but I also don't have one of those fancy campers with the electric jacks, or one that can be used off the truck. On mine the floor has to be supported if the camper is occupied. My rule, because I see how it's constructed. I just don't trust those fence post cross supports screwed into 1x2's to hold.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's almost not even fair for a guy with a Stable-Lift to chime in... 🙂
There are numerous pros/cons threads about regular jacks and Stable Lifts but in this particular situation, the Stable Lift just plain wins!
No tie downs, no wobbling around, no difficulty or inconvenience whatsoever.
Press the buttons and drive out. To reload, back under and press the buttons to retract the lift and automatically clamp the camper down.
Look into it, it'll completely change how you use your camper!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
We do on occasion, but actually quite infrequently, primarily because of the fits my Happy Jack 4600's give me every time I use them.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

run100
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling and camping, the camper is usually left on the truck so we can use its amenities when out and about. The only time we take it off, is if we are heading to the 4x4 roads.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S