cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you wax your trailer?

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Another Newbie question. I know people hose down and even power wash their TT to remove the travel grime, but do you wax it like a car? It seems like a bit much.

When not I use, mine will be parked in the yard with some shade, also Indiana does not have the brutal sun of the southern states.

Likewise, would a trailer cover be wise in the summer months or would it trap too much heat?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
53 REPLIES 53

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
My TT is Gel coated I did a big ordeal on it last year with Collonite and a wax sealer.When not in use it sits in a garage.I used it for 65 days last year and so far it still shines like new.A few weeks ago I hit the stone guard with some cheap auto wax and it was hard to see any difference, so I feel I am good till fall.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well, a new TT and truck I guess I will be busy waxing once the snow leaves.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do! It takes awhile, but well worth it!
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I wax mine with Meguiers paste wax. Decals and all. Looks just like new.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing but positives for waxing your TT. Better looking, preserves the paint, Makes it easier to wash. AND You will also get better MPG. Aid slides off better
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Once a year. Spring time she gets atlest two coats of Mcguires California Gold. Thie year four coats. I was bored.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Heck I have even been know to wash and wax my fiver in the camp ground.

That would be my only resort since I store the RV at a storage lot and have no access to water. Problem with washing at the campground is that the CGs that I tend to visit (State Parks) don't allow it. 😞

Those of you who wash / wax in the campgrounds - which are these? Private campgrounds?

So now I have this larger trailer I can't put it in my driveway to wash / wax / maintain it. 😞

OP - yes it needs to be washed and waxed wax protects the surface and not so much from the sun but from dirt, bugs and other surface grime. Sun will have its way and the only real protection is to keep it out of the sun i.e. covered storage.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wax it every year including the vinyl graphics. It doesn't hurt them at all unless you rub very hard in one place (like trying to remove sap) and then it will lift the color some. Otherwise mine have suffered no ill effects of all the waxing (including peeling). The corners of the TT that get black streaks are waxed 4~5 times yearly (incl graphics) because it seems to make the black streaks easier to remove.
I think keeping the UV off the trailer keeps it looking good and this is especially true for the stickers.
Just my experience with my 10 y/o TT!

EDIT: Maybe sun+wax on graphics makes them crack? Just a wild guess but wax alone sure didn't hurt the cheapo stuff on my TT.

Mvander
Explorer
Explorer
X 11teen. You will thank your self if you ever trade it or sell it.
55 FEET OF FAMILY FUN!
2014 F150 HD
2015 Grey Wolf 29DSFB

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't wax over the vinyl graphics! The rigs you see that are only a few years old (and usually Thor products) with cracked, faded and peeling graphics are owned by people who waxed over them.

Never, never, never, never, never wax a vinyl graphic! Did I say NEVER?

Wax contains petroleum distillated products. Petroleum products removes and destroys the "plastisizers" that the vinyl manufacturers add during the manufacturing process. Plastisizers are what keep the vinyl from cracking and curling...and keeps the vinyl from drying out.

Wax causes the adhesive backing to fail, causing curling and peeling...as well as cracking and fade!

All the major vinyl graphic manufacturers such as 3M will tell you this, as will the major RV Graphic Companies such as Sharpline, ZombieKiller, Performance Graphics and the big one Valley Screen Process who furnish graphics to Jayco, Forest River, and more.

Wax the RV, not the Vinyl...and apply 303 Aerospace (or Protectall) to the vinyl. 303 was developed by aerospace chemists specifially for the expensive graphics and paint jobs on Commercial Airliners and Private Aircraft. No silicone, no petroleum products.

My Jayco is 8 years old and the graphics are unfaded and in supurb shape. 303 Aerospace every month or so.

So you decide, $22.00 32 OZ. worth of 303 or Protectall OR $700.00 and up for new graphics? I live in sunny Southern Californa and spray it on tires, vinyl tire covers, plastic rv trim, ABS plastics, etc. Out at Orange County Airport light aircraft owners slather it on their light aircrafts.

Repeat after me..WAX ON VINYL GRAPHICS IS BAD! 303 or Protectall is GOOD! Same with the vinyl trim around doors, windows and beltlines.
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
diazr2 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Of course I do. I use the best wax I can get my hands on a couple of times a year. Why in heck would you not want your rv to look good?
Ha there must be something wrong with us Oregonians

Heck I have even been know to wash and wax my fiver in the camp ground.
Yep me too 🙂

crickeydog
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Do you wax it (RV) like a car?

Yep! Twice a year.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!:)
USAF RETIRED 02/1992
DOD RETIRED 04/2014

D/W US GOV/DOJ/DEA RETIRED 10/2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRESIDENTIAL 30' SCD 5'ER

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I use to cover my TT's in the winter, but eventually quit doing that. Too much work. I never covered in the summer. We used the camper too much and to cover and uncover every week-end is too much work.

New camper bought September 2013. Haven't waxed it yet, but going to once weather makes that "Spring" turn from cold Winter. It takes work to was a camper, so I found it easier to wax one side, or even a part of a side in the evening after work. Then continue the next day for more. Keep doing this until you get the whole thing done. It keeps older joints from getting too exhausted all in one setting.

For a really quick shine... it won't last, but it looks fabulous, just use Lemon spray Pledge and wipe it off. Oh it's pretty ... but won't last. When I sold a car one time, I used Lemon Pledge for a quick shine. The car sparkled, and I got a really good trade in on it. There again, it's VERY easy, you can use Pledge and a cloth on a stick or soft sponge mop, but it does not last. If you have a good layer of traditional car wax on your camper, and then go over it occasionally with Pledge, you can restore a fabulous shine VERY fast.

Just an idea for you to turn over.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
To quote jfkmk, Yup! I wax mine twice a year, and the front cap gets it 4-6 times a year because of the bugs that meet their untimely demise on it. One thing about keeping it waxed is if you do it regularly, the buffing part is kept pretty easy. 3 years old and it still shines like the day I brought it home. I also wash the roof 2 times a year, and the black steaks are almost nonexistent.

4famfun
Explorer
Explorer
guess you already got your answer, and yes I also wax mine alot!! and I keep it covered, only wish mine was kept indoors, can't find any indoor storage here in mechanicsville VA