cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge Ram transmission reliability

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
I have an 05 Cummins 5.9 with the 48RE automatic transmission. It has 107K miles and so far absolutely no transmission issues. However I have changed the fluid every 35K miles. How long will this thing last.

I would just be interested in how many miles you have on your 3rd Gen truck with the 48RE and if you had transmission problems at what mileage???
38 REPLIES 38

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
So far, not too impressed with the transmission in the diesels. I have a 2016, 2WD, 3500 pickup. It is currently in the shop with transmission problems, at 65,000 miles. The book says to change trans. oil and trans. filter at around 60,000, so being a by-the-rules kind of guy, I took it in for service. About 10 minutes after I picked it up at the dealership, a check engine light came on and the trans. did not downshift properly. Dealership says some valve in the trans. is bad, and they are dropping the trans. and repairing it under warranty.It is not the Asin trans., just the normal trans. they commonly use in those trucks.
So, I am not real happy about this. On the other hand, it could have gone out while pulling the 5er about 1000 miles from home. Oh Well, it is warranty.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The 47/48re transmissions are a fine unit save for a couple things.
There’s a reason that they are still the go to trans for pullin trucks and drag trucks. They can be built stouter thanlretty much any new unit.
Most notably, not enough gears to utilize a low revving diesel the most efficiently.
Also being based on a going on 50 year old design, they are clunky and don’t have the desired features that newer transmissions have.
For the first reason alone, I do it like them and it was the sole reason I never onwed a Dodge diesel until we bought the G56 trans truck.

Get the bands adjusted, install a good valve body, keep up with the fluid changes and stay at or near stock power and it has a good chance of lasting another 100k.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 05 ctd has over 200,000 miles with absolutely no transmission problems. I maintain the oil level and check for burning but that is it. I also don't abuse it with a heavy foot or excessive loads.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
With stock power, you'll have no problem in the forseeable future.

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
There is no one size fits all regarding how long any transmission will last. In your case it could last for another 100k or crash next week.

Some folks like yourself is easy on a transmission while others would gut the same tranny in 50k-60k miles under the same conditions. And as others have pointed out you had a good maintenance program.......others do not.

Keep doing what your doing and when the 48RE starts acting up......go buy a brand new 2020 truck with all the whiz bangz gizmos :B.

I think $60k will take me out of the hunt. Mine is not a daily driver and garage kept.......should last as long as I do!!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
There is no one size fits all regarding how long any transmission will last. In your case it could last for another 100k or crash next week.

Some folks like yourself is easy on a transmission while others would gut the same tranny in 50k-60k miles under the same conditions. And as others have pointed out you had a good maintenance program.......others do not.

Keep doing what your doing and when the 48RE starts acting up......go buy a brand new 2020 truck with all the whiz bangz gizmos :B.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 48re was about as strong as they come with stock motor. The problems, as with any transmission start when someone starts to hot rod the motor. The next weak link then start to fail. At 107K miles and as,long as your trana fluid has not shown any signs of burning and the pan gaskets have been clean should easily go another 50 to 100K more.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Add some Motorkote or Hot Shot Secret Trans additive and the tranny will be like the Energizer Bunny.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 3rd Gen. I think some of the Dodge/Ram transmission issues of years past can be attributed to:
- People not servicing them enough (which includes band adjustment)
- The ease at which you can add a huge amount of power to a 5.9L Cummins
- The fact that the 48RE is based on a 727 from the 60s
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV