cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual AC option on 27 foot trailer?

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite travel trailer ever is a 27 foot Sunset Trail trailer from Crossroads RV (30 foot tongue-to-bumper, but 27 foot usable floor) and this unit come standard with a single 15,000 BTU. But as an option you can get a second 13,500 BTU A/C (I don't know why they are different sizes, but who cares...). BUT, when you choose the 2nd air conditioning option, it comes with a forced upgrade to a 50A service instead of the basic 30A service! Moreover, what we observed yet, is local dealers tend to order this options for stock's units, but not all of them as well.

A 50A service sound like a complete deal breaker for me because it drastically reduces the range of options on campsites especially for a pretty small trailer of 27 foot.

Just wanted to have your quick opinion, mostly regarding the need of two AC for that size of trailer versus the fact of having a 50A service, because we saw a lot of 33-35 foot trailer with a 30A service...
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
20 REPLIES 20

Mickey_D
Explorer
Explorer
One nice thing about having a dual AC system is that you have a spare if something goes wrong with one of them. We have two in our LaCrosse 329 and normally only run the one in the rear bunkroom. The "white noise" from the AC helps the kids go to sleep and does not bother us in the front. We only run the front one when trying to cool it off quickly on a toasty day.

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much guys for the great comments. Yes, weight is also a good point because a 13.5K roof unit weight at least 100 pounds with accessories...

My own conclusion is it doesn't worth the upgrade for a second A/C on a trailer that size.

Thanks again! 🙂

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
🙂 Hi, no-one seemed to mention the weight and bulkiness of the much larger cable of the 50 amp service. In really cold weather my 30 amp cord is difficult to roll up. I had to bring it inside of the trailer to thaw out so it wouldn't break.

That is a great point. Wrangling our 50 amp when its cold is a pain the arse. They just don't want to roll up into a nice roll and go quietly into the there compartment.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
Our unit is 30' and came with a 15k BTU unit and a 50amp cable. I can hook to 30amp anywhere with the 50a to 30a adapter. It came with a 50amp cable because the bedroom is pre-wired for me to add a 2nd AC unit. I'd rather be prepared to upgrade rather than not have the option to upgrade due to being wired for 30amp. We live in Florida and there are lots of spots with no shade coverage. the 15k unit will cool us down just fine, but it tends to run for a long time when its super hot out and no shade. I may eventually add the 2nd one just to keep the bedroom cooler, but I'm in no rush. In a pinch I had to plug into someone's house to run the AC while my dogs stayed in the trailer and I used the 50amp to 30amp adapter and then plugged that into the 15a adapter to be able to plug in to the house. I checked everything periodically and the cables never over heated and it worked like a charm. Don't fear the 50amp!
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, no-one seemed to mention the weight and bulkiness of the much larger cable of the 50 amp service. In really cold weather my 30 amp cord is difficult to roll up. I had to bring it inside of the trailer to thaw out so it wouldn't break.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
15K AC is fine for us in a 32 footer with 2 slides in direct Myrtle Beach sun every summer.
50 amp would be nice though.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
A lot will depend on the insulation of walls, floor and roof. Dual pane windows and mini awnings on each window and my single 13,500 can keep me at 65 degrees inside when it's 105 outside in full AZ sun.
Low humidity also helps in my case.

If you park in full shade that could be a huge advantage.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I had one the same size as yours. The only time I wished I had a second unit is from around 1 pm to about 5. It would get a little warmer than I liked, but a couple of small fans helped a lot. Same in my current trailer, 33' box. Not going in and out a lot also helps. Once the sun starts going down a little, the 15,000 does a nice job. Most parks charge a few extra dollars for 50amp.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting here at a 30 amp hookup using a 50-30 amp dog bone with both of my A/C's running to cool down our 42' fiver. I must run my water heater on propane and can't use the microwave when both units are on but no big deal.
Too answer your question a 50 amp service can plug into a 30 amp with no issues using a $20 adapter.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
schrederman wrote:
The 50 amp plug has one hot leg that's 30 amps like a normal trailer, and runs most of the stuff, including the first A/C. The second hot leg is usually breakered at 20 amps and is for the 2nd A/C and/or electric fireplace if equipped.

Good grief! :E Time to read up on 50 amp RV service.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

schrederman
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed in my trailer for 8 weeks in July/August about 3 years ago. It's close to the same size you're talking about. I will NEVER have another TT this size or bigger with just one A/C. I'm looking at a Winnebago Ultra Lite 28DDBHS and really want one, but it doesn't seem to have the option of a 2nd A/C... so I'm looking at other trailers.

The 50 amp plug has one hot leg that's 30 amps like a normal trailer, and runs most of the stuff, including the first A/C. The second hot leg is usually breakered at 20 amps and is for the 2nd A/C and/or electric fireplace if equipped.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
vlopddap wrote:
I now see that a 27 foot trailer absolutely need a second AC and moreover because the 15K is ducted front to back on this model!

I must be missing something ... why? :@

BTW, you realize of course that so-called 50 amp service really isn't, it's 50 amps across two legs for a total of 100 amp service or 12,000 watts vs 3600 watts for 30 amp service. BIG difference that requires significant upgrades to the trailer's electrical system ... but why a 27 footer would need this is a mystery to me. :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all this great comments!

I now see that a 27 foot trailer absolutely need a second AC and moreover because the 15K is ducted front to back on this model!

Thank you!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If the price is not much more, it isn't a bad option especially if is bunk house. Then you can control the temps in different areas of the trailer, dual zone for example. As mentioned, you can use a 50A to 30A adapter for the times when the park only offers 30A service. Just can't run both AC units at the same time.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)