cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EGR Deletes

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a first itme diesel owner as of July. My truck is a 2013 3500 duramax with 57,000 miles on it. Recently it pulled a NOx code. Teh diesel shop I am taking it too said new sensorts are $370 a piece. He said most choose to the delete vs. replacement when they hear the cost to fix.

What all is involved with a delete and what are the pros and cons? Does it require a "tune" and new exhaust system?

My truck is stock. I don't really need more power, but am hearing more and more stories of endless def issues.
27 REPLIES 27

I guess MD isnโ€™t in the North East. There is no emissions test for diesels and the Eastern shore and Western MD donโ€™t even check gassers. Hello!

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's a whole lot tougher to delete and tune, now, compared to just a year ago. The EPA is shutting tuners down so fast now, you can start with one and they might not be around long enough to finish the job for you. If you are sane now, you will lose a lot of that sanity by the time you get done deleting and tuning these days! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
โ€œLike the dickens...โ€
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like a rite of passage here in Central VA to buy a new diesel truck, then delete the emissions controls. How can one tell it has been done? Easy. The tailpipe is double in size, they are noisy as all heck, and stink like the dickens. But, few shops here will touch a truck to do this as EPA has been lowering the boom on them.

Since the central counties of VA are all in attainment for ozone NAAQS, no issues with getting the annual inspections (now being said that Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers will not pass any inspections on chopped trucks, only small mom and pops will look the other way). But, no way these would pass in NOVA or any other state in the Northeast Ozone Transport Region which is the entire eastern seaboard.

FWIW
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is once u delete and get rid off all the emissions.... thereโ€™s problems if you decide to trade the truck in..... dealers canโ€™t take that truck on trade unless the emission system is fully intact and operational. If you are like me and keep trucks forever then it may not be such an issue. Most states now are cracking down on rolling coal, deleting, ect.....so if it would be me.. just replace the sensor and keep the system cleaned. I personally donโ€™t worry about that crud anymore cause I run gas engines now. But for those who need or want diesels, requires a little more work now then โ€œback in the dayโ€ required... Good luck
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Me Again wrote:

And if the EPA finds them, they will shut them down.

Then hopefully everyone will STFU about places that make magic happen with diesel pickups.

Nother lost investment opportunity that I should have seen coming...
I would have bought all the "off road only" tuners I could (mostly Ford ones, lol) and delete kits I could afford a couple years ago.

If I did, I'd be paying for my drinks on the beach with delete money!!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickLight wrote:
Around here there's only one shop that will freely work on 'deleted' trucks. Dealers and "EPA compliant" shops will require that you take your vehicle away on a flatbed.

And if the EPA finds them, they will shut them down.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mine was a 6.0 F-350. Work was done because of the basic reliability problems with that motor. In all these years and 165k mi itโ€™s never been a problem.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here. Been registered in 3 different states.

So you removed the catalytic converter?
Unless it some how got plugged up on a brand new or relatively new truck at the time (Highly unlikely), it did nothing for mileage, reliability or performance (provided you weren't trying to push 500hp through a stock exhaust).

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
OP, you need to figure out what the actual issue is imo, before deleting.
And learn what components do what.
You say EGR delete but appear to be describing a a full exhaust emissions delete.

For the rest of the folks, egr delete does not mean exhaust delete although they are both typically done in conjunction. But you can delete the egr and not the exhaust emissions.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here there's only one shop that will freely work on 'deleted' trucks. Dealers and "EPA compliant" shops will require that you take your vehicle away on a flatbed.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about the Duramax, but mine did require a tune. It was actually turned off, but I went ahead and let the couple of extra pounds fall off the truck. It does run better and I probably get a little better mileage with it, but with the straight pipe, it's kinda hard to stay off the skinny pedal.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I deleted mine 15 years ago and have yet to see any of the negatives mentioned here.

Except that your truck has been emitting all those additional pollutants into the air.

It probably would not be much different than your old 8.1L. He might emit a little more more PM and NOx than stock, but your 8.1L emits way more carbon and carbon monoxide. PM and NOx only has negative effects in a local areas with high concentrations(major cities), and NOx turns into good ozone once it reaches the stratosphere. The effects from carbon are global. New direct injected engines emit more PM than diesels do, but you cannot see the emissions because they are so fine which is worse because it is small enough to get into your bloodstream.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
naturist wrote:
You should also be advised that it is illegal to have it done, and illegal for the shop to do a delete.

Depending in which state your truck is registered, it may not pass smog check. What I did was have a removable straight pipe built by a muffler shop. I just swapped it out for the day when getting a smog certificate. That was on my 2001 Dodge Cummins. Yeah....the power gains will make you put that straight pipe back on asap.

Exactly what did you replace the straight pipe with? My early 24 valve had no cat. That didn't start until the 325/600 engine in 2004.5. EGR was internal until the 6.7 in 2007.5.
CA may differ.
Puma 30RKSS