cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ever seen this before

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our TC stored in an unheated shed for the winter. We've done this without problems for the 5 yrs that we had it. We've just moved to a new house with a shed (another post to follow).

We found round circles of "bubbles along the bottom edge of the drivers side. They are all approximately 1-2 mm in size. Just here and there in small bunches. Very odd. DH is concerned with water intrusion. Took it to a body guy and he said for the time being, cover it with nail polish. It will cost about 1K to repair. Have you ever seen this before? It's no where else on the TC.

as you can see, it's under the sticker. Any ideas why this happened? How would you repair it?

If these are not the proper size, would you please assist.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
15 REPLIES 15

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Good part is that gellcote is not that hard to repair.

Looks like Filon, not gelcoat (which are two different products)
Bob

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Good part is that gellcote is not that hard to repair.
I've been working with epoxy resins starting at the age of 11 (what was some time ago) but it wasn't till this spring that I took canoe restoration project and resprayed new gellcote.
It went way better than I expected and having couple of repairs on the camper, I sprayed those over as well.
Camper did not get much of prep as canoe was the project, but now I see that once you solve the problem under the siding, it is pretty easy to make the repair invisible.
For small repairs you can mix gellcote and apply it with small brush, or even small wood stick.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like osmosis that happens to boat bottoms that sit in the water and are not protected with anti fouling paint...any boats made after 1985ish.Cheaply made gelcoat.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Check out this thread... looks like the same problem.

filon

Different problem on that camper, which appears to be aluminum siding, not Filon
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
I hate to be the one to say this...

I've seen this before...Had to do with the resins being mixed just slightly off...Nothing can be done except a complete reside.

I had this happen on a fiberglass boat. I filled the holes with epoxy resin and touched up the area with some paint that matched. Boaty is right, it will continue to happen. If your camper is still under warranty, take it to the manufacturer. If not, I would get some lessons in fiberglass repair.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Explorer
Explorer
From the arrow it appears that the load needs to be shifted to the right to level the rusted dot area. Hope this helps
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this thread... looks like the same problem.

filon
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow! Based on Boaty's reply that is a major bummer!

Might be worth a call to Adventurer and get their comments.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Seems there was a very similar post with identical issue a while back, I don't recall who or camper make...Ill look but maybe someone else remembers (or original OP)
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
now I'm sad.
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to be the one to say this...

I've seen this before on a ClassA MH someone I knew owned. Defective Filon. Once it has started showing up, it will continue popping up at random all over. Had to do with the resins being mixed just slightly off during the manufacturing of the filon, and in his case, the MH was about 6-ish years old when it started popping up everywhere.

Nothing can be done except a complete reside.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We thought it might be gravel from the road, but the truck has no damage. We'll contact the manufacturer to see what they think. They've been great but it's out of warranty.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking if it was a panel exposed to the ground, that it might have been damage from rocks while driving, and you did not notice it until now. But looking at the COG sticker, that is a wrong answer too!

Good luck figuring it out.

I would contact the manufacture and see if anyone else is having this problem. It might be a manufacture defect in the sidewall panel?

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
At first I thought someone had shot it with a pellet or BB gun. But the center of gravity sticker rules that out.

So now my guess would be frozen water popping out the skin.