cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 brake issues continue-AND THE WINNER IS...

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I posted but we continue to have brake issues with our 2012 F150. At low mileage the front rotors needed to be replaced. We've had continual problems with the brakes not pressurizing correctly on start-up of the vehicle-brake pedal goes right to the floor until it's pumped a few times. We had the vacuum pump recall done which alleviated the strange noise we were getting but the brakes continue to have the same issue. When the truck is not running the brake pedal doesn't budge at all. My experience on previously owned F150s is there's at least a little bit of play when you depress the pedal upon starting the engine. Thoughts? It's going back in the shop next week and any suggestions on what direction in which to guide Ford would be helpful as the service advisor seems a bit clueless. Thanks.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
23 REPLIES 23

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Is the part number listed?

DL3Z-2005-D Booster 674278
3M5Z-2L523-AA Bush 121090
6e5Z-14526-CA Fuse 125968

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is the part number listed? Good to hear it is back to normal.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it fixed!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
OOOPS! The pump had already been replaced under warranty (I misinterpreted what I was told). They replaced a booster, bushing and a fuse this time. Brakes are currently working the way they should be.

Mbopp, thanks for digging up the recall. That had already been done, which could explain why the dealer was puzzled.

Douglas Adams

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ford warranted the vacuum pumps on the '11's and '12's for 150,000 miles now, should cost you nothing:

http://ford.oemdtc.com/1760/15n05-electric-vacuum-pump-extended-coverage-2011-2012-ford-f-150

My '12 is getting a noisy vacuum pump, sounds like metal on metal screeching.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Vacuum pump. Covered under our extended warranty minus the $100 deductible. The extended warranty was given to us as part of the original sale (we'd never normally have one) and it's paid off a couple of times already. Ford has not yet done a recall but there have been numerous issues with these pumps so stay tuned.

Douglas Adams

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced more Ford ABS modules/pumps for low pedal problems than I have for them failing electrically. I haven't ran into any newer models yet, but the older ones have black plugs on the side of the unit. Once you pop the plugs off you will need to put something in the hole (I use a piece of 3" long wire) until it bottoms out. Have someone start the engine and press the brake pedal. If the wire moves, the unit is bad.

These are the pistons that move and allow pressure to drop when ABS is needed, but should stay still under normal braking.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
With power brakes, it is normal for the pedal to be hard when the engine isn't running. When the pedal is hard while driving, or any time the engine is running, the problem is usually a bad booster.
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me like the power brake vacuum booster is bad, or a vacuum line going to it.
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
How is the braking? Does it stop ok or is braking poor? If you pump up the pedal with the engine off and hold pressure on it for a minute, does it sink slowly?

Stops fine but as stated pedal is like a rock when truck not on.

Since the OP did not mention any loss of brake fluid I would rule out wheel cylinders, brake lines and hoses leaking..

Not mentioned because I really don't know. Hubby being the "let's go for the most difficult thing first" engineer type HASN'T LOOKED! :B If I can hobble out to the truck I'll check myself (nursing a bad foot). Usually that would be something I would think of. Hang tight. Now I'm curious.

Checked the fluid. Mind you I'm about 5'5" so I'm not "short", but seeing into the reservoir was a bit a challenge!

Fluid is dark yellow and up to the max line.

Douglas Adams

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
Pedal to the floor always said time for a new master cylinder to me.
Never said brake rotors. In this day of electronics the simple mechanical things are easily overlooked.

Not so fast on the MC.

OP stated in the first post..

"It's been a while since I posted but we continue to have brake issues with our 2012 F150. At low mileage the front rotors needed to be replaced.

We've had continual problems with the brakes not pressurizing correctly on start-up of the vehicle-brake pedal goes right to the floor until it's pumped a few times. We had the vacuum pump recall done which alleviated the strange noise we were getting but the brakes continue to have the same issue.

When the truck is not running the brake pedal doesn't budge at all.

My experience on previously owned F150s is there's at least a little bit of play when you depress the pedal upon starting the engine.

Thoughts?

It's going back in the shop next week and any suggestions on what direction in which to guide Ford would be helpful as the service advisor seems a bit clueless. Thanks."

Note, I broke the OPs post into paragraphs to help make it easier to read..

Notice the part I bolded?

That is an important key.

IF the MC was indeed bad (IE internal bypass from worn or defective internal parts) then one would not have a full solid pedal when the engine is NOT RUNNING. If MC is bypassing internally the pedal would hit the floor BEFORE the engine was started..

OPs pedal is hitting the floor AFTER the engine has been started.

OP has already had the vacuum pump replaced (I am assuming it is a "eco boost" since it would not develop enough vacuum for the vacuum booster).

One needs to look at the things PAST the MC..

Since the OP did not mention any loss of brake fluid I would rule out wheel cylinders, brake lines and hoses leaking..

So, that now leaves the ABS module, anti-sway module and possibly the traction assist module as possible culprits..

All of those modules have some sort of direct connection to the brake lines and brake fluid circuits..

As far as rotors goes, well they are "wear items" and sometimes you don't get the wear you should get..

BUT, I would highly recommend checking the brake pads fit in the calipers. I have run into issues with the pads fitting way to tight in the calipers. So tight that a light rust on the pad edges will freeze the pads and the caliper can not longer push the pads correctly. This can lead to the pads hanging up and dragging on one or both sides.

I file the tabs on the ends of the pads until the pads slide easily in and out by hand..

Lost a set of front rotors on a 2003 F250 because of this issue.

Check front AND rear pads for this issue, it is possible the rears are frozen and all the stopping has been on the front which would cause excessive wear on the front..

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Pedal to the floor always said time for a new master cylinder to me.
Never said brake rotors. In this day of electronics the simple mechanical things are easily overlooked.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
How is the braking? Does it stop ok or is braking poor? If you pump up the pedal with the engine off and hold pressure on it for a minute, does it sink slowly?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bypassing master cylinder to me. Should be easy to diagnose though...
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK