cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 vs. Suburban?

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. First post here. We just bought a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 3150BH travel trailer. It's dry weight is approx. 7500lbs. We bought it to pull with my wife's company 2012 Chevy Suburban (rated for gross of 9400lbs). We have pulled it twice and the Suburban definitely knows it is back there. It causes a little white knuckling some. We have the Blue Ox sway system installed, brake controller, etc.

I have thought about trading in my Audi sedan for a 2015 F150 (or similar 1/2 ton 4 door pickup). Would the F150 do a better job at pulling the camper or would it be worse? I know it has a longer wheel base but have also heard the 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 talk. I am hoping to get a good answer before taking those steps.

P.S. - Someone may say "get the F250 to be safe." But, I am an attorney and have to find parking in tiny little lots all of the time and I don't really want something that much larger to be my daily driver. And, I don't have the space, or the funds to have another vehicle altogether. Thanks in advance!
44 REPLIES 44

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
For sure the 3/4 ton is the way to go. I just got an f-250 to pull our trailer and love it. I just got the gas engine, and the contractor series (pretty basic truck) with the crew cab it was cheaper than any f-150 that was even close to comprable as far as towing. Once you get use to the height its a nice daily driver.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
IdaD wrote:
... I've yet to find a parking garage that won't work although it is tight in them.
That may be true in Idaho but I can tell you it absolutely is not true in Detroit, Chicago, Dayton, Indianapolis, and a whole bunch more places that I have been with my Daily Driver.

I won't argue that I'm very fortunate to live where I do!
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
... I've yet to find a parking garage that won't work although it is tight in them.
That may be true in Idaho but I can tell you it absolutely is not true in Detroit, Chicago, Dayton, Indianapolis, and a whole bunch more places that I have been with my Daily Driver.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
I would agree that a 3/4 ton would be the way to go for such a big trailer.

For those that are misleading OP by saying that a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 are the same size and drive the same (and fit into parking garages the same) are full of it. Shame on ya.

Research turning radius for your favorite brand .5 ton vs .75 ton and report back.

My HD Ram turns tighter than an equivalent F150. As I said on the first page of this thread I've yet to find a parking garage that won't work although it is tight in them. Lastly I never said it drives the same but it is just as comfortable as far as I'm concerned and I prefer it to half tons, which tend to drive like a sloppy crossover (just my opinion). Why the shame?

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The lighter F150 will be quicker and maybe stop in a bit less distance,
but both are 'half ton' TV's...best to use their GVWR's as there are
over a dozen F150's varying from +6K GVWR to about 7.6K GVWR

Half ton Sub's range from around 7K GVWR to about 7.4K GVWR. They no longer
make a 3/4 ton Sub (8.6K GVWR) because the vast majority of buyers will
only purchase a half for 'ride quality', not towing capacity

Then there are further attribute changes to their ratings with suffix
and prefix to the marketing badging...a F150HD is a fake half ton
with an almost 3/4 ton GVWR and older had same/similar RGAWR

On that MTWR ((max tow weight rating)...it is based on the stripper model,
AKA curb, and only has one option...the tow option, and one 150 lb driver

So, if you order or the previous owner ordered options...those options
take away from the MTWR pound for pound.

Plus, if you weigh more thant 150lbs, the MTWR is pound for pound less...and
if you have more people/cargo/luggage/pets/ice-chest/etc...all take
away from the MTWR, pound for pound

Lugs vary from OEM to OEM and era to era. Some older era 3/4 ton had
6 lugs and today's half tons generally have 6 lugs...some fake half
ton's have 7 lugs, etc...and...that fake half ton has a GVWR of just
under 8K and some older fake half tons have 8.2K GVWR

Since most pickups and full sized SUV's all have very similar sq/ft
on pavement...they are all about the same in maneuvering. The big
difference is their height.

Some/most of today's TVs are way higher because folks 'think' they are
more capable and with higher GVWR's if taller. Not so, just for looks.

The real difference in class (half ton vs 3/4 ton) is that the frame
is that much bigger. Suspension is bigger...etc. Even the tires are
of higher class. Most half ton has 'P' class tires (passenger) and
needs to be de-rated a min of 9% when used on trucks (the OEM has
already done that). 3/4 ton (8K GWVR and higher) comes with "LT" class
tires (light truck)

So, decide if car stuff is more important vs towing performance (not
just go, but stopping and ability to manhandle the setup during an
emergency situation)

That ability to manhandle up to the OEM's ratings is during that moment
when Mr Murphy crosses your path.

Either you have the right sized stuff spot on or not. No time to go
back to the store for better/bigger/etc stuff.

Ditto the setup, either it is setup right or not and no time to redo

Since you are a lawyer, assume you understand that all of the OEM
ratings/system has fine print modifying/qualifying those ratings
numbers...that most folks take as absolute with little to no understanding
of how a contract's fine print/caps/bold/etc works...

Either get a higher class TV or smaller trailer for your existing TV

Good luck...you'll need it with your current setup.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
How about F150 with HD payload and tow package ?

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
That's because the people on here don't think a 1/2 ton is capable of towing up to it's maximum ratings. But then when you start talking about 3/4 ton; well then they have no problem exceeding the payload rating. The truth of the matter is, use a towing calculator, go to a scale, do your own math, and base your judgment on facts; Instead of relying on the experts who change their opinions depending on the badge on the side.
how much can I tow

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
atwowheelguy wrote:
smithlaw wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Our total weight doesn't increase that much (for the trailer itself). We aren't adding any fresh water to the tanks (yet) and travel pretty light. The heaviest things are two bicycles. I would say at the very most the trailer goes from 7500 to 8500.

ra·tion·al·ize
?raSH?nl??z,?raSHn??l?z/
verb
1. attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

It seems like the others here experienced in towing are not convinced. If there is a need to convince someone that this whopper of a trailer is OK for the smaller truck, you probably should search for a different audience.

That's exactly what I was thinking, expect you stated it more eloquently.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Our total weight doesn't increase that much (for the trailer itself). We aren't adding any fresh water to the tanks (yet) and travel pretty light. The heaviest things are two bicycles. I would say at the very most the trailer goes from 7500 to 8500.

ra·tion·al·ize
?raSH?nl??z,?raSHn??l?z/
verb
1. attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

It seems like the others here experienced in towing are not convinced. If there is a need to convince someone that this whopper of a trailer is OK for the smaller truck, you probably should search for a different audience.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
smithlaw wrote:
I would say at the very most the trailer goes from 7500 to 8500.
You can figure that out easy enough. Head to a scale. It's always a good idea to know what your weight is.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

For those that are misleading OP by saying that a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 are the same size and drive the same (and fit into parking garages the same) are full of it. Shame on ya.

Research turning radius for your favorite brand .5 ton vs .75 ton and report back.

Oh I know there is definitely a huge difference. Wow carbon footprint from above may appear very similar there is a large difference in the way it drives and everything else. I grew up on a farm hauling farm equipment and Kales using duallies (spelling)? And big rigs. I am more than comfortable driving any of these trucks. However, I have grown used to and enjoy being able to park my sedan in the garage at home in my spot at work by the door. Not to mention fitting in tight spaces at the courthouse. Sometimes you just want to jump in your little fast car and speed around and I would not be able to do that any longer with a 3/4 ton. I guess these are the sacrifices we have to make. It seems crazy that the purchase of a camper is going to alter so many other things!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:
Ok, how many lug nuts does the 1/2 have vs. the 3/4? Also, what would the loading sticker tell me to identify whether it was 1/2 or 3/4? I'm guessing it isn't going to tell me outright. If it does - then I apologize for the stupid question!

Most 150/1500's have 6 lugs, though there may be a few that still have 5. The F150 w/ the HD payload used to have 7, not sure if that's still the case. 2500/3500 vehicles have 8 lug nuts.

The payload sticker will tell oh how much that truck has for payload as it is equipped leaving the factory. Any accessories added afterward will decrease this amount as mentioned: fiberglass topper, tonneau cover, spray in bed liner, step bars, mud flaps, floor mats, etc.... all count toward the payload of a truck.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
smithlaw wrote:

It's still a 36' long trailer. You can equip an F150 with all of the heavy payload and towing packages and get by with it, or you can spend less on your preferred variety of heavy duty truck and get a lot better towing performance with very little to no compromise in your daily driving comfort. Personally I think diesels are worth the extra money up front but it certainly wouldn't be necessary with that size trailer. Go do some test driving!

smithlaw
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, how many lug nuts does the 1/2 have vs. the 3/4? Also, what would the loading sticker tell me to identify whether it was 1/2 or 3/4? I'm guessing it isn't going to tell me outright. If it does - then I apologize for the stupid question!