cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floor sleeping accomodations

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer officially sleeps 3 (I think actually 4 but no way on the table bed!). We have 2 twin air mattresses for the floor sleepers. We will have 5 people in May. We've only used 1 twin mattress in the past. My fear is no access to the bathroom with 2 aired up. It was tight with 1. So i measured the area and laid on the floor in different directions to see what made sense. Im thinking to buy the small therm a rest trail scout pad which measures 20 x 47 (their legs don't need padding). I can fit 2 better and step over the men easier.

I'm looking creative solutions for adult size young people. My Grandmother always had us sleep on pallets on the floor. We lived and liked it. Also in the past I make the beds (mattress cover, sheets and comforter. I'm going with sleeping bags for future ease - to stuff and go.) We've also thrown the boys when they were kids outside in a tent. I want them to enjoy the trailer so they will come again.

Any creative sleeping ideas?
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200
15 REPLIES 15

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tent and sleeping bags. Maybe throw in a pillow for each and a nice battery lantern.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice. I will the men where they prefer. We will be camping in mid-May in Texas so we can run an extension cord for the fan. If they decide to have the a/c, we'll put 2 on the table and one on the floor with mattress/cot. I like the idea of privacy, sleep flexibility - I may take the tent!

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice! I'll leave it up to the men to decide. You're right about the tent - it offers, privacy, flexible sleeping hours, and no interruption by the parents. We will be camping mid-May in Texas so the heat may be a factor in their decision. We'll have a fan to move air if needed. If trailer is decided, I'll have 2 on the table and one on the floor with us in the bed - hey I may choose the tent!

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If the tent has room and you're at a campsite with hookups, a portable electric heater inside the tent really adds to the overnight comfort.

Just be sure to check with the tenters before running the microwave or a hairdryer inside the TT, you can trip the breaker at the pedestal (I know from experience).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

john1928
Explorer
Explorer
I would vote for the tent as well. I had just shy of 20,000 miles and many weeks in a 19' trailer with 5-6 people when I was younger. We would all stay inside during single-night stops where we wanted to get moving quickly in the morning, but anything longer and we were fighting over who was going to be able to stay in the tent. That included times when the temps dropped well below freezing, high winds, thunder storms, hot weather, etc.

I know given a choice now as a not so young adult I'd still pick the tent over sleeping in an aisle-way as well for additional space, privacy, and sleeping hours flexibility. Have you asked the guests of honor what they would prefer by chance?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Use the table bed - just put an air mattress on top of it. Otherwise pitch a tent.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
my son prefers his tent over staying in the trailer. during Christmas, made a long trip to daughters, my son did both overnights en route in a tent. it was fairly cold and rainy, but he still preferred sleeping there. said he didn't hear my snoring and wasn't bothered by my getting up during the night. He used small tent, his thermorest and sleeping bag.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I think their own space will be what they prefer. It will be our tent. In the trailer we have a u shaped booth and our bed. I will be reinforcing the table with short polls so i will feel comfortable with 2 people sleeping on it. In the meantime if it is 5 people we use the tent. Thanks for the ideas and conversation. Our boys are all in college and they will still camp with us. We will take them any time we can get them!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Tents for older children is what lots of people do. Otherwise, white noise.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many need to sleep on the pull out sofa? Is it a Jack knife or actual pull out? For us, if only one is using the sofa, we don't pull it out. It's big enough on it's own to sleep one. That saves a few inches and makes all the difference

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
I'd give the tent outside a second thought, weather permitting. Most times the kids think it's just great fun to have their own space. Obviously, age and security are primary, but you could have them inside for dinner, maybe a movie or games and then head outside. Do you have a portable DVD player? Certainly could take that or something similar to their spot and watch another movie. Family time and then their own time...not an all bad idea.

If push comes to shove, the dinette will make a decent bed. I had the honor one night and it wasn't bad. With 2 larger size kids I'd make some sort of center support, just for the added stability.

Good luck and happy camping!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
The table bed will sleep two young adults...have used it many times for guests. Or if there is room add a piece of plywood large enough to overhang the table bed area but not block the walkway. This would provide additional width to the bed and allow folks to get to the bathroom.

What do you tow with ? My brother and I used to sleep in the bed of the pickup truck with or without a cap (campershell).

Young adults can sleep on the seat if it's a bench seat....

or Tent

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
With little kids I just use a 2 inch thick chunk of foam rubber on the floor and a sleeping bag. I'm not so sure it would work with bigger kids.

I've never done it yet but, I put new foam rubber in my cushions and I could use the old chunk of 5 inch foam on the floor if I wanted to. It would be harder to roll up and store though.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure this would take up any less space than an air mattress. We use a fold up camping cot. Our granddaughter actually prefers it over the pullout sofa. Cots come in various sizes and fold up nicely when not in use. A bonus is you don't have to blow them up and you don't worry about an air leak.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300