Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those of you towing with a one ton crew cab 6.5' box

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the maxlengths you are towing?
We are making the jump from a 37' bumper to bumper TT to a 5th wheel. We towed the TT with a Ford Excursion and traveled all throughout the midwest and CO, AZ, and other western states with no problems.
I'm Finding used long box diesels has been next to impossible unless the have 250,000 miles.

We did come across a clean low mileage one ton crewcab duramax yesterday and have it on hold. door sticker said not to exceed 4,400 lbs of cargo and weight so we will be fine with weight. Just wondering was kind of total lenght you are pulling with these.
Would just hate to mkae the purchase and find out I am short on length. On the other hand, I would would also hate to miss out on this unit.

thanks in advance for your replies.
20 REPLIES 20

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pull a slightly above 14K, 40 ft 5er with my short bed crew cab Ram 3500 CTD.

No issues with the length whatsover.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your used low mileage Dmax sounds like a DRW, until 2020 GM only ran a GVWR of 13,025# on DRW almost 1,000# less than Ford and Ram. Your looking at a good size 5er, with a 2,700# DRY pin you are looking at about 3,200# pin loaded. Leaving about 1,200# for passengers, you over 150#, hitch, and anything added to the truck after it left the factory.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
mrad wrote:
Thanks Rob.
I'm am coming out of anesthesia and notices some mistakes in the original post.

Wow, you may just be the most dedicated RVer here. Most of us would be happy to lie around in a pain killer haze and you're thinking RVs.

I tow 36' with a 6.5' bed and wouldn't have a problem going longer. It's more about the weight as others have said. I suppose if I got up to one of the REALLY big ones in the 42'+ range the longer wheelbase would be a good idea. But at that point you get into DRW land and I believe those are all longbeds (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a 2006 F-350 CC Long Bed Lariet with 6.0. The trailer hitch can only hold a little over 12K LBS., but we tow a 40' Carriage Cameo that weighs close to 19K. We have a 21K hitch and and a 21K King Pin.. no problems. Be ware though, towing that much weight I strongly recommend your truck has a complete tow package. I also keep my tires at the manufacture recommended PSI printed on the tire and NOT the PSI on the truck door.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Rob.
I apologize for the spelling. I'm am coming out of anesthesia and notices some mistakes in the original post.

The 5th wheel my wife wants is a 37 front living. total length is 41'. unload weight is just over 12,000 and max weight is 15,000. I think I mentioned the dry pin weight is 2,700lbs

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a fifth wheel, it's not so much the length of the trailer as the gross weight and how much weight the trailer puts on the pin. We pulled a 14,000 lb., 36' fifth wheel with a CC 6'6" bed Sierra with the Duramax/Allison and it pulled and handled very well. Because it was a 3/4-ton truck we were at the upper limits for our payload (the truck had 3,100 lbs. payload per the scales fully loaded). We are full-timers, so when the chance came along to move to a very good DRW truck, we jumped on it. Having the extra payload with the 1-ton DRW also made it possible for us to upgrade to a heavier fifth wheel this year, too.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015