cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 6.0 liter

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I put a deposit yesterday on a Ford 2006 Super-Duty F-250 with the 6.0 liter/8 cylinder diesel engine. I plan on using this truck as a tow vehicle for a 6500 pound travel trailer. I know next to nothing about vehicles/trucks.

I have read that the Ford 6.0 has a bad reputation (read it online, so it has to be true). My question is does that engine historically have a problem and should I be concerned? The vehicle has 67000 miles on it.
82 REPLIES 82

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
This thread explains why there are so many "good deals" out there on 6.0 Fords.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mudfuel07 wrote:
I had one completely stock, did all the maintenance on time and used it to tow with. Everybody said the engine needed to work, how can it work when it doesn't want to run. I was a die hard Ford guy, but after the 6.0 disaster when I blew the head gaskets (completely stock), I unloaded that piece of junk and I won't own another one. Look for a Chevy or Ram if you want a diesel and don't want to sit on the side of the road.

This^^^^^ is why there is so much disdain for the 6.0. The OP tells an all to common story.
At this point why would anyone recommend the 6.0? Why get involved?
There are other viable/capable options of the same era that are available without all the drama.
The question is not why all the hate for the 6.0, the question is why are some still in denial. The 6.0 is a unreliable motor with a poor reputation that should be avoided.
I agree not all of the m were bad, but there are way to many that suffer from the known problems to take the risk.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I had one completely stock, did all the maintenance on time and used it to tow with. Everybody said the engine needed to work, how can it work when it doesn't want to run. I was a die hard Ford guy, but after the 6.0 disaster when I blew the head gaskets (completely stock), I unloaded that piece of junk and I won't own another one. Look for a Chevy or Ram if you want a diesel and don't want to sit on the side of the road.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

hellfirehydra
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
I'm always amazed at the personal HATE people have for this motor, like it was responsible for the demise of a loved one. Yet around my neck of the woods I see more of them on the road than Cumins and Duramax trucks of the same years combined. Ford really must have done something wrong for almost 5 years.

Oh well. Hoping for another 5-10 years out of mine yet. Sure don't see why it won't hit 500K miles.

When a non negligible percentage of engines cost owners many thousands of dollars, people get pretty upset about it.

Not many people like being surprised by multi thousand dollar repair bills.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP if you buy the truck I suggest you read up on the engine's history, weaknesses and proven remedies. Also I suggest you find a good independent diesel shop that is well versed in this engine.

I don't think it is as bad as some paint it here but it definitely ain't a set it and forget it type of engine.

Yes it had emissions issues and engineering shortcomes vs other engines. Yes stock engines that were maintained had issues but more than a few times the issues are from dirty fuel, non OEM parts, poor maintenance, racing/beating, box tunes, shops not knowing proper procedures, etc.

Regards to engines with multiple head gasket replacements many reputable diesel shops say they get most of their business from owners who had their head gaskets done (improperly) at other shops. Its not something any shade tree tech can do right to last.

The engine definitely has a mixed bag reputation. Some love them some despise them. I have had a few from stock to modded, from DD to dedicated tow rig. I would get another one sure but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't prepared for the possibilities.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a new 2004 6.0 F-250. At 6000 miles the engine was out of the truck for leaks. Then by the time I had 37,000 miles on it, the truck had a new dumbed down turbo, a second turbo, and an oil slick under where it parked. The truck had been into the local dealer 22 times until I acted like a jack*%$ in the service department (I'm usually pretty cool about things). Well, I figured I wasn't done yet and went inside to find the guy with the biggest desk--and we had a loud talk in the showroom. They kept the truck for 1 1/2 weeks and it was sweet! That engine ran great--even to the point where the rig crashed (totaled) and just for grins, I started it one last time in the tow yard.
Moral of the story; if it's a good engine, it's a great truck!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
I'm always amazed at the personal HATE people have for this motor, like it was responsible for the demise of a loved one. Yet around my neck of the woods I see more of them on the road than Cumins and Duramax trucks of the same years combined. Ford really must have done something wrong for almost 5 years.

Oh well. Hoping for another 5-10 years out of mine yet. Sure don't see why it won't hit 500K miles.

Amazed??? Have you not read of the thousands of people who have paid a fortune to keep these trucks on the road? Been on the side of the road with one? Paid dearly with resale value in the toilet? It isn't a mystery as to why there's a lot of disgust towards them.

And the fact that you see more of them on the road than any other truck means nothing. The vast majority of them have had a boat load of money put into them to keep them going and a lot of owners are forced to do it because they can't afford to get out of them.

Ford certainly did do something wrong and it was for more than 5 years because the 6.4L was a disaster too. They went from the excellent 7.3L to these 2 excuses for diesel engines and lost a lot of loyal customers doing so. I was one of them.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Why are you replacing your 7.3???
The DW does not like the 6 speed manual tranny and it's only an extended cab 4 X 4... she wants an auto crew cab plus it's worth a lot more than what I paid for the 6.0.

That is a great truck. I looked for a 7.3L 6 speed for a long time when I was looking to get out of my 6.0L but could not find one that wasn't either beat up or had tons of miles.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
shum02 wrote:

For me, it's not about hate. I am very fond of Ford Trucks. To me it was all about mitigating risk. The 6.0 is a higher risk than other trucks, there were many other choices that didn't have the reliability problems. In my case I just had to look in Fords own ranks. I had to buy out of warranty due to my budget, for my family I bought a V10 F350. When my buddies 6.0 PSD was drinking coolant my V10 was running like a sewing machine.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Had an '04 F-350 and an '06 F350, both with the 6.0. Didn't put that many miles on them, about 60k each. 1st one was stolen, downsized the 2nd one.

No problems with the engine whatsoever on either one. Used to tow circa 17k 5th wheel....almost exclusively.

Wife and grandkids loved the crew cab as well as the finish (Lariat models).

The Chevy dealer where I traded the 2nd one in didn't balk at the 6.0.

FWIW, I "liked" the 6.0 feel and sound a bit more than the 6.7 in my current F550 plow truck.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I am and always have been a Ford man, just bought a new 2016 F-350 Powerstroke. But, I really would not recommend a 6.0 Powerstroke as your first diesel. If you were well versed on diesel pick ups and you could pick up the truck for say half of book price I would say go for it.
You should look for a higher mileage 6.7 for maybe just a few thousand more, you won't be sorry.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

Bedlam
My 2005 F250 w/ 6.0 PSD did well. It was replaced after 10 years only because I needed more payload. I went with the Ram this time due to the deal I could swing, otherwise I would most likely be driving a F550 w/ 6.7 PSD now.

As others pointed out, proper maintenance and experienced mechanics are the key to any diesel's longevity but especially this one. I have also noticed that the ones that got worked as a truck had less problems than ones used as a commuter car. My trucks have been dedicated for hauling or towing and I have other vehicles to use for shopping, cruising or commuting.

I averaged 1000 miles per month with either a 19.5k lb GCW or a 11.5K lb GVW and rarely ever ran the truck at its empty weight of 7.25K lbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Had a 05 6.0PSD for 7 years and 170k miles. Replaced the EGR valve and or cleaned it every 80k miles. Had a couple of oil leaks early on.

Use only Ford Oil filters and fuel filters. I see many 6.0PSD with after market oil filters and these bypass oil around the filter so you need to check it has the factory oil filter cap. Aftermarket fuel filters do not have the aquablock material around the filter media so these will pass water right to the injectors. Be sure to use a diesel motor oil API CJ4 5W40 or 10W30.

BIL had a 04 for ~5 years with EGR valve issue similar to mine.

We actually purchased a 07 6.0PSD truck last month to add to our 7.3PSD trucks.

Having said this I wouldn't recommend one of these trucks if your a first time diesel buyer. In addition I wouldn't recommend a DPF equipped diesel if your a first time diesel buyer either of any brand.

When Fish recommends against the OP buying a Ford, the OP should listen.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why are you replacing your 7.3???
The DW does not like the 6 speed manual tranny and it's only an extended cab 4 X 4... she wants an auto crew cab plus it's worth a lot more than what I paid for the 6.0.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

shum02
Explorer
Explorer

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman