cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front tire pressure?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Rig: 2006 GMC 2500HD with 2001 Lance 845 camper. Tires are Michelin LT265/75R16.

My door jam plate says:
Front 53 psi
Rear 80 psi

I have been airing up to:
Front 60 psi
Rear 80 psi

My axle weights with camper and loaded for long term travel are:
Front 3350 lb
Rear 5800 lb

That's just under my GVWR of 9200 lb.

Last summer I had my tires rotated when traveling and the shop said I had wear on the front (cupping IIRC) indicating not enough pressure. So they boosted the front to 70 psi (or more).

I'm getting ready to hit the road again for several months. What is the consensus on proper front tire pressure?

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
27 REPLIES 27

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.michelintruck.com/reference-materials/manuals-bulletins-and-warranties/load-and-inflatio...
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My old '01 2500 Dodge/Cummins came with LT265/75-16 E. The silly tire placard said 50 psi in the front and 80 in the rears.
As I drove the new truck home (165 miles) I noticed the front tire plowed around corners. The back of the truck rode like a hay wagon. This truck had 4080 lb on the front axle and 2780 on the rear with no load.
I ran a chalk test on the fronts and found 65 psi worked best (2280 lb pin weight in the bed) along with no more plowing around corners.

No more weight than the 6.0 weighs IMO 70 lbs in the front may be a bit much. At 3350 lb front axle load = about 1700 lbs per tire. 60 psi sounds about right.

Agree with others on tire cupping issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
Your cupping is not from low pressure, though that can make it worse.
Alignment, bad shockbrakers( already mentioned) and someting loose are the real cources. Even going to wider tires and not compensating that in the alignment, has influence. Even the weightdivision here can havevits influence. Higher pressure then gives less cupping , but your fillings come out if your teeth.

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
Answer to above
What you give is lineair calculation, and is not bad .
Official European calc is
( A/B) ^ 1.25 x 80 = psi.
The ^1.25is to the power, like square is ^2, and root is ^0.5.

But you dont add 10% first . Wich is for R/L unbalance, but also for pressureloss in time or misreading or inacuracy of pressure device.
Then it would give lineair 3190/3420 x 80 = 74,61 psi , so lineair calc comes to about the same as my extra safe calc is 75 psi.

Must have missed something , where did you get the 3472 maxload from?

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
here is the formula.
(A/B)x80=PSI
A is true weight on Each tire
B is max load on tire (marked on sidewall)
C is max PSI (marked on sidewall)
Hear is your rear calculation.
(2900/3472) x 80 = 66.82 so I would run 70

/ means divide by

But what your saying your front weighs appears to be a little low to me, or maybe its just me from years of driving Cummins.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jadatis
Explorer
Explorer
Filled in in my made motorhome-calculator, it comes to F 41 psi , R 75 psi.

Googled your sise tire to be loadindex 123 for single load is maxload 3420 lbs, E- load AT 80 psi.

Front that low??!! Yes , search the GAWR's, and you probably discover that rear is already overloaded, and front still have a comfortable reserve.
The vehicle-maker calculates for GAWR's ,and for that it probably needs 60 psi.

Are these the original sises and loadrange ( E- load / LRE AT 80 PSI) . If the weights are right, and tirespecifications I found too, especially the low front gives better comfort and gripp, but you yust gotten used to the kidney-belt:B

My calculator adds 10 % to the given loads( so yoy weighed ? !), and then calculates the pressure with a formula that gives higher pressure then the official European, wich America uses too but only for P-tires since 2006.
So my calculation is certainly not to low.

Determining the real weights is the most tricky part, in this all, but you weighed fully loaded, so also all the persons? , wich gives you already bonuspoints.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
You have your axle weights why not go with the inflation table for your tires?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
60psi should be plenty of pressure for your setup. Check a load inflation chart but probably good for at least 2500lbs per tire
Many causes of cupping, feathering of tire tread and not all of them indicate anything is wrong.
Infrequent rotation
Curvy roads
Too low of pressure, maybe for the sway with a camper or in general
Bad shocks
Bad ball joints
Too much too little camber
Bad alignment
Not tailoring the rotation to how the tires are wearing.

If the truck is in good alignment and good condition then it could be just wear.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
BradW wrote:
When we hauled our Lance on our SRW trucks, I had less sway when we ran the front tires at 80 psi. Tires are part of the suspension and when the rear rocks side to side, the front does also. So anything you do to stiffen the front suspension helps, even though 90% of the added load is on the rear tires.

I honestly never thought about the front tire pressure and sway before due to almost all of the weight is added to the rear. Hmmm
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
What is the consensus on proper front tire pressure?

Thanks,

Consensus on the TC Forum? 🙂 🙂 🙂

When we hauled our Lance on our SRW trucks, I had less sway when we ran the front tires at 80 psi. Tires are part of the suspension and when the rear rocks side to side, the front does also. So anything you do to stiffen the front suspension helps, even though 90% of the added load is on the rear tires.

bradw
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“Tires rotated every 5K with essentially similar wear.“

That’s the key you are doing right, sbryan, IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The truck's placard should have tire PSI recommendations for loaded and unloaded conditions.

When I was fully loaded, I set the front to the truck mfgr laden recommendations while the rear was at the tire maximum. Under no conditions should the tire mfgr PSI be exceeded.

If your tires are "cupping" then it is generally due to bad shock absorbers.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
My F350 says for a fully loaded truck 65 front and 80 rear. It has worked well for me for the last 35,000 miles with the camper on board. Tires rotated every 5K with essentially similar wear.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired