Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage ceiling clearance

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
Happy New Year fellow TCers!

As usual I'm coming to you for your expertise. We are considering a home that has the Taj Mahal of sheds. The problem is it only has 12' doors. Our TC is 12' 3" tall on the truck. We have the options of putting it on a dolly and rolling it in (UGH!) or changing the AC unit to a lower profile model. We wouldn't mind doing that as our current unit is overly large and high powered. The current unit is 14". The Coleman Mach 8 is 8" which should make things better.

Here's the real problem: say we get it in, can we raise it off the truck in a shed with a 13' ceiling. We've never measured how high the camper is when at it highest point needed when removing the truck. Have you? We think it raises about 6". We cannot test it as it's in storage for the winter. Can it be done? How many of you roll it in on a dolly? What are the challenges and how do you handle a lip at the edge? Our TC weighs at least 4000 lbs without water.

Any info would be great.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7
25 REPLIES 25

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
What ever happened to the OP?
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

JohnAM
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a Rieco dolly to do this. It is an extra step but if you are comfortable with trailers (I have boats) it's pretty easy and would require no other mod. I wish I could leave my camper on the truck in the winter however and am considering a header and roll up door mod to make it work.
2011 RAM 3500 CTD Laramie DRW 4x4, Torklift, Superhitch, Stableloads
06 Dodge 3500 CTD Quad DRW 4x4 6sp Man, TorkLift, Superhitch, Stableloads, KYB Monomax (Traded in)
11 Lance 1191
97 Lance 980 (Sold)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
By my calculations, if the camper will clear a 12' door, and you have 13' ceilings, you have at least 12" to raise the camper once inside.

If your truck's suspension uncompresses 12" as you unload the camper, you've got bigger problems.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
If the truck has airbags, there is a good chance they could be aired down going into the shop, and get a couple inches clearance.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
The door Im not seeing as an issue but a problem that can be solved by a multitude of options. Height of opening is the restriction without seeing, changing door or type easy, changing the header not much more difficult-depending.

But if you changed out the AC & if its enough to get under door it also would increase upward travel space, non issue. Might be combination of things to make it work.

The real issue I see is if I could get into a 44'x64' shop and I could also have my camper inside- It would be real hard to ever get me out...

Seriously though for that kind of shop space and getting the camper stored inside, Dolley/trailer would certainly solve although unless I wanted to move around it would be my last option, from here seems one way or another it could work.

Good luck
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
CptnBG wrote:
campn4walleye wrote:
We are considering this property BECAUSE of the TC. I want to make DH's life easier but it is more and more complicated.

It was my bright idea to sell our house so that he would be closer to more lakes and camping. Our house sold in a week!!!:E

Methinks DH is a lucky guy! You tell him we all said to give you a BIG kiss. 🙂
I'll second that!

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:

Mice intrusion, I think borderlines on being silly. I think over time they get into homes. I bet they can get into the existing building.

Wayne

:B I once worked on a house that was destroyed by fire . In the corner of the house in one bay , 16 inches by 5-1/2 inches , dead mice were stacked 4 feet high . The owner said they never had mouse problems . I am pretty convinced that every building has mice , whether you see them or not .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
ryoung wrote:
From what I have read about your shed it has a 12 ft garage type door and 13 ft of ceiling clearance.

If that is so, get rid of the garage door, enlarge the opening to the 13 ft ceiling and install a sliding door.

Anything is possible. I once had a new pole barn built by Sikeston buildings that was 24 x 36 with eight foot walls. Over the years and different RVs that I had, that original pole barn grew to 24 x 65 with 14 foot walls in three different modifications.

ryoung

I no longer own the truck and TC in my signature.

We were told this is not suggested and the shed is heated and we would lose too much heat. The cost would not be worth it. A sliding would also allow mice intrusion.
I absolutely disagree with what you were told. I suggest you talk to a knowledgeable contractor. I can't speak to the cost being excessive, that is a mater of perspective. But loose heat, only if improperly done. Mice intrusion, I think borderlines on being silly. I think over time they get into homes. I bet they can get into the existing building.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
ryoung wrote:
From what I have read about your shed it has a 12 ft garage type door and 13 ft of ceiling clearance.

If that is so, get rid of the garage door, enlarge the opening to the 13 ft ceiling and install a sliding door.

Anything is possible. I once had a new pole barn built by Sikeston buildings that was 24 x 36 with eight foot walls. Over the years and different RVs that I had, that original pole barn grew to 24 x 65 with 14 foot walls in three different modifications.

ryoung

We were told this is not suggested and the shed is heated and we would lose too much heat. The cost would not be worth it. A sliding would also allow mice intrusion.
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

ryoung
Explorer
Explorer

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add some pics when I get a free minute. Thanks for your ideas. Would like to see some pictures of TCs in other folks garages, just for the clearance value.
USAF ret E-9&E-7

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
BTW, did I mention that it's 44' x 64'. It sure is "purdy" It has the most wonderful wood working shop, hot and cold running water and a full bath in it. It was used as a business. DH fell in love immediately. It's nicer than the house (kind of). 🙂

We are considering this property BECAUSE of the TC. I want to make DH's life easier but it is more and more complicated.

It was my bright idea to sell our house so that he would be closer to more lakes and camping. Our house sold in a week!!!:E
Sounds too good to be true. I know I would have loved all of those amenities, too. It made me sad selling all my woodworking equipment when I sold my home, in 2008.

Obviously the issue is the way the header is, not the interior ceiling, otherwise you would have stated that. So if you are spending the money here, why not reengineer the header? Most are wood beams. If you were to swap out the header for a steel beam and depending on the type you can excise many inches this way and install a new door. There are many types than just the typical garage door. There is the accordion door, roll up door like you see on store and auto shops.

For us here, do you have pictures? Sounds something we would all like to see!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe just add another door.

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:

Methinks DH is a lucky guy! You tell him we all said to give you a BIG kiss. 🙂

Hope the door height works out, the building sounds perfect otherwise.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper