cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

getting our first NEW trailer

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at keystone and rock wood.
Is there anything I should know about these companies/ brands before going in?
13 REPLIES 13

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand Burkshire Hathaway owns Forest River. I think this is a real statement of the future of RVing.
A person or family can go bonkers trying to find the "perfect" RV, but all choices are a compromise. We went to several RV shows and finally decided on one brand, but that didn't work out so we found a slightly used (like New) Cougar. We found it to be quite good. We've towed it 10-12 thousand miles with no problems.
What we found with our first trailer was that we learned what worked and what didn't. We sold the first trailer and moved into the "answer to all our desires."
Just git out there and use it!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Yay, congrats!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, ours us the 2014 27rlswe, picking it up next week. These are built very well, and light these days.
Came down to floorplan, rear lounge with giant window was key......also the features on the cougar are great.

Whats the skinny on batteries?
2-6 volt batteries....12volt batteries?
What are the + and - of each set up?

Glendale_290
Explorer
Explorer
Nice choice on the Cougar! One of Keystone's best sellers and well built. It was in the running in our final choices, but floorplan of the Solaire 269 BHDSK won out because of personal preferences.

Happy Camping in your new Cougar!

Lou
2013 Sol Aire Eclipse 269 BHDSK Trailer by Palomino . Tows like a dream with our 2016 F250 6.2L gas Crew Cab & parks extremely well in our short driveway with our Park-it 360XL electric trailer dolly[/]

Have a great 2016 Camping Season!

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
After nonstop looking, comparing, etc.....this can really go on forever, we pulled the trigger on a keystone cougar

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We had an '07 ROO 23SS and just moved this spring to the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604. Fit and finish in both were excellent. Never had water leak issues like some hybrids have and so far perfect from the 2604. Lots of happy owners on both sides, here. Do your weight/towing homework and then find the floorplan that suits you best. That will be the best one!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

laidback
Explorer
Explorer
I was just looking for basic info, but keystone passport ultra light and Rockwood ultra light were the 2 we are going to go check out today.
I was told the passport is all aluminum construction but can't find any info if the rockwood is all aluminum are a combo of materials

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Keystone what? Rockwood what?

Keystone is a company owned by Thor Industries which owns about 100 brands of RVs, well, maybe only 50. Rockwood includes a few lines (Roo, Signature, Windjammer, Minilite, etc) owned by Forest River Inc that also makes at least 50 brands of RVs.

Find the floorplan and features you like at the price you are willing to pay. Nothing particularity wrong with Keystone or Rockwood.

X2
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We spent about a month going on the road every day looking at pretty much every dealer in southern Ontario LOL. Hubby was off work and bored.

First...what can you "really" tow. Then you need to have done your homework and decided on what construction, ( materials etc) you prefer. Then it comes down to the trailer that suits you and your family. The warranty is almost the same, the service really depends on the dealer rather than manufacturer.

We will all have our own choice....go with what you would like not majority.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone what? Rockwood what?

Keystone is a company owned by Thor Industries which owns about 100 brands of RVs, well, maybe only 50. Rockwood includes a few lines (Roo, Signature, Windjammer, Minilite, etc) owned by Forest River Inc that also makes at least 50 brands of RVs.

Find the floorplan and features you like at the price you are willing to pay. Nothing particularity wrong with Keystone or Rockwood.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rockwood. Not sure what my next unit will be but there is a Keystone high in the running.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

DukeAJuke
Explorer
Explorer
I would go Keystone over Rock Wood. I don't think the difference in quality are much different between the two but from what I hear Keystone stands behind their trailers better than most manufacturers.

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just traded our Keystone for a Forest River, and I honestly think the Keystone was better quality. Camping friends seem to prefer Keystone over Rockwood.