cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM 6.2L Gas Engine for pulling?

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look at a new truck for 2019. I have been pulling with a Duramax, but now looking to maybe go with a gas engine next time around. The reason is based low pulling mileage and trailer weight.

It looks like the 6.2 is going to be GM's only gas offering, so I am wondering who has pulled with this engine and what is your opinions of it.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
55 REPLIES 55

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Power Torque
Ford 6.2L V8 385 hp @ 5,750 rpm 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm
GM 6.0L V8 360 hp @ 5,400 rpm 380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm
Ram 6.4L V8 410 hp @ 5,600 rpm 429 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

3/4 ton gasser comparison

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
...The engine might be long in the tooth... but that's because GM got it right the first time and it has proven to be a dependable truck engine and people are still buying them in droves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Spoon - wish there was a like button for this comment. You and I have not always agreed on things, but it hard to say GM is so far behind when the real towing test results put these trucks with the pack.

I have loved mine, and when you can get 18 mpg empty, it is even better.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Vanished
Explorer
Explorer
I loved my 6.2l GMC 1500 - plenty of pulling power around here, but no where near the 'handling' of our 6000lb trailer as my Cummins 3500 SRW.
2019 Ford F350 4x4 diesel DRW
2021 Grand Design Momentum 28G

APT
Explorer
Explorer
2019 2500/3500 models are carryover designs with the familiar 6.0L gas and 6.6L diesel engines. I do not see any indication GM will put the current (or all any all aluminum 6.2L) in the HD trucks. 2019 1500s are redesigned with 6 powertrain combinations including 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines.

Which truck are you looking at?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 cents on the never-ending gas/diesel debate. If you like to do your own maintenance like I do, gas is SO much easier. Oil and filters so much cheaper and with synthetic oil, the change intervals are not much different. Less waste oil to deal with, too. Hated the side eye they'd give me at Autozone when I showed up with 7 gallons of oil to recycle! The current gas engines from GM and Ford are pushing close to Diesel performance and are delivering 300K plus in fleet use. Will surely outlast any vehicle (TV or RV) you have them in. If you HAVE to have the most performance, Diesel still wins but I prefer gas (don't have to wear a glove filling up, either!).

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Apply here.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I’ll answer your original question.

I have a 6.2 in my Yukon xl and use it to tow my 6500ish pound boat.

There is no comparison versus my Cummins. Diesel wins hands down. Maybe it would be more competitive between the two of I wasn’t at altitude.

I think you would be pretty disappointed going in that direction.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Bowti wrote:
Starting to look at a new truck for 2019. I have been pulling with a Duramax, but now looking to maybe go with a gas engine next time around. The reason is based low pulling mileage and trailer weight.

It looks like the 6.2 is going to be GM's only gas offering, so I am wondering who has pulled with this engine and what is your opinions of it.

Do you believe that a gas engine will get better pulling mileage than a diesel??

I think he means that he won't be towing many miles nor heavy weight... at least that's how I read it.

OP, the 6.0 engine in the current HD's is a great engine. Lots of people here want the newest of everything, therefore think that anything that isn't "up to date" isn't good. That couldn't be further from the truth. The fact of the matter is that the GM 6.0 engine has been around for quite some time in the HD lineup and has been a proven work horse. It doesn't have the highest HP or torque, nor the best mileage available... but it is a solid and dependable engine. They were specifically designed for the HD series truck, and the associated duty cycle. They don't really have any widespread problems and should easily last 200K miles with routine maintenance.

The engine might be long in the tooth... but that's because GM got it right the first time and it has proven to be a dependable truck engine and people are still buying them in droves. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
08 Dmax was pretty much the sweet spot for towing rigs.

Not sure why I would spend $$$ only to trade down.

Yes, I hear you loud and clear, as I am very undecided as to what to do now. I just like to trade in every 10 years on my truck and was looking forward to a new truck with a new year design.
We here in Wisconsin have a problem with road salt which takes its toll on the bodies. Mine is showing signs of rust.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
08 Dmax was pretty much the sweet spot for towing rigs.

Not sure why I would spend $$$ only to trade down.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Correction x2. This news is for the 1/2 series.

5.3L or 6.2L V-8s.
Or a Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo-diesel

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/jan/...

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
I am a gas engine advocate for non-commercial towing and towing of anything under 10,000lbs. Chevy has never made it on my short list when I've shopped trucks because of the under powered 6.0L.

Heck, my extremely dependable Toyota 5.7L makes more power than Chevys 6.0L and gets the same mileage. And it hasn't changed in 10+ years!

Chevy needs to replace that tired 6.0L with something to remain at all competitive in the HD gas market and their proven 6.2L should fit the bill perfectly.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
I've had 2 different 6.2s. A 2013 and a 15. They were excellent towing motors. The 15' required 91 octane fuel (I know it says recommended in the owners manual) which I didn't mind. I also loved the 8-speed trans that came with it. It also was only available in the LTZ. Also I'd love to have you post the link of any article that says it's going to be in a 19' 2500 because I sure can't find it! lol

I am now thinking you are correct, as I can not find the article that I read a while back. I most likely misread the article which was talking about the 1500 and not the HD trucks.
This bums me out as I was looking forward to a new truck for 2019. Now, I will need to rethink everything.
Thanks for correcting my info, and sorry if I mislead anyone.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt GM will offer a 6.2 1500 series 420 hp/460 torque engine in a 2500 HD. In the past GM has offered their high performance engines, like the old 350, then detuned it for heavy service work.
GM does need to upgrade the old 6.0 engine to compete with the Rams 6.4 hemi numbers. Numbers sell.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I was able to find was the HD trucks will be a carry over the th 2019 year. That was on motortrend. Other sources speak about the 1500 seri s getting a revised 6.2 and 5.3, but I found nothing about the HD trucks getting the 6.2 engine. So far the iron block 6.0 has performed very well and has definitely proven itself over and over again. So if they were to change that engine they better make it a good one. It's hard to beat the 6.0 and yes it's really detuned from the factory.. I got the black bear efi live tune on mine and it's quite different if I go to the 91 or towing tune....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.