BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
115 REPLIES 115

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
I don't believe anyone here thinks there is a 100% American built vehicle today, but having said that, some choose to purchase their vehicles from an American company.

What makes one an "American company" though?

Is it an American company just because its HQ is based in America? What if that company uses tax loopholes and government bailouts/assistance to stay in business and doesn't give as much money back in taxes? What if that company declares bankruptcy and doesn't pay its suppliers a fair amount on the dollar?

Why isn't it an American company if the vehicles are designed and produced in the US? That company is paying US employees a competitive wage, pays payroll tax, pays real estate taxes, pays its suppliers in full, pays high import tariffs on vehicles not produced here, etc.

Lets not forget that in today's world you can buy stock in any publicly traded company.

Out of curiosity, where was your F350 made?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
BenK wrote:
Buying 'American' might have been possible 15-20 years ago, but today in the
21st Century...pretty much can NOT

Mainly due to the public's demand for the "cheapest at any cost" and the corporate
exec's finding that to appease that demand...they could also increase their bottom lines...

Try to outfit yourself with clothes that is NOT made offshore

Or check the labels in any store in the USA and you WILL find most stuff offered
for sale is made offshore. High production volume stuff...not specialty goods

Buddies are finding Snap-On Tools has 'Made in China' on them. Guessing that will
be a growing trend

Buyers demand for: "Cheapest at any cost" goods has our corporations going off
shore more and more. Plus doing what this thread is all about.

"off shore" in that our exec's are 'paying them' to become our peer competitors.
Using 'our' IP (Intellectual Properties) ***AND*** up-lifting 'their' countries

'We' pay for their new roads, new sewer plants, new trains, new factories, new
goods that they NEVER would have in such a short time...as the factories pumping
out goods for buyers over here demanding: "Cheapest at any cost"...has them also
provide goods for 'their' population

But...to claim any one of the current vehicle OEMs builds a 100% AMERICAN vehicle
is bugus...anyone ever wonder why the MSRP labels now has a line stating the
percentage of origin? or some such verbiage

I don't believe anyone here thinks there is a 100% American built vehicle today, but having said that, some choose to purchase their vehicles from an American company.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Buddies are finding Snap-On Tools has 'Made in China' on them. Guessing that will be a growing trend

Personally, I have a HUGE problem with that.

It's one thing for them to move manufacturing to China, it's another thing for them to continue charging the same premium price. You can bet the money went two place - executives and major shareholders.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Buying 'American' might have been possible 15-20 years ago, but today in the
21st Century...pretty much can NOT

Mainly due to the public's demand for the "cheapest at any cost" and the corporate
exec's finding that to appease that demand...they could also increase their bottom lines...

Try to outfit yourself with clothes that is NOT made offshore

Or check the labels in any store in the USA and you WILL find most stuff offered
for sale is made offshore. High production volume stuff...not specialty goods

Buddies are finding Snap-On Tools has 'Made in China' on them. Guessing that will
be a growing trend

Buyers demand for: "Cheapest at any cost" goods has our corporations going off
shore more and more. Plus doing what this thread is all about.

"off shore" in that our exec's are 'paying them' to become our peer competitors.
Using 'our' IP (Intellectual Properties) ***AND*** up-lifting 'their' countries

'We' pay for their new roads, new sewer plants, new trains, new factories, new
goods that they NEVER would have in such a short time...as the factories pumping
out goods for buyers over here demanding: "Cheapest at any cost"...has them also
provide goods for 'their' population

But...to claim any one of the current vehicle OEMs builds a 100% AMERICAN vehicle
is bugus...anyone ever wonder why the MSRP labels now has a line stating the
percentage of origin? or some such verbiage
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Deleted....

LOL
Good decision :B Away for the week-end but I can't figure out what the subject was on this thread :W Oh wait, I see it's about liar's :E

It is beginning to be a whiners story. I am still playing my violin.

chevman

FYI..I had posted about people insinuating if one didn't buy an American made vehicle, more or less they were un-American, or didn't support America..it was a rant I've went on before, thus the reason I deleted what I had posted...just got tired of hearing, "liar", "whiner" and "un-American", and that is some of the innuendoes going on in parts of this thread.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Deleted....

LOL
Good decision :B Away for the week-end but I can't figure out what the subject was on this thread :W Oh wait, I see it's about liar's :E

It is beginning to be a whiners story. I am still playing my violin.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
45Ricochet wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Deleted....

LOL

Darwin's Runner Up Award Finalist :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Deleted....

LOL
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
To me, components like 12.25" Dana 110, 10 lug Alcoa 19.5s, 15"+ brake rotors, and 87 mph commercial tires, all scream Class 4 truck.

If Ford sand bags the GVW just to squeeze into the Class 3, well that's like athletes dehydrating just to squeeze into a weight class - it works, but you'll lose some people's respect.

I guess if that makes you feel better. So the Ram with an advertised 30k tow rating that is higher than Rams 5500 is not?

The 30,000 is an achievement; the ability to make that achievement, in a Class 3 truck, is our debate.

You can't then turn around and use that achievement to dis-credit its Class rating, that's flawed circular argument.

Class 3 truck can out-rate their Class 5 counterparts in multiple areas, namingly towing and horsepower. The F450 has more power than many Class 8 tractors. Does that discredit the Ford?

Tell you what, if Ford takes away the F350, and re-badge their F450 the new F350, I'd say "fair game, they choose to over-engineer their F350".

But they can't have clearly distinguished F350, F450, then claim the latter is in the same class as the former.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I wish my RAM were "assembled" in USA. Still it has the Mighty Cummins and many of it's other parts come from USA.

If you are patient, Toyota might offer a 1 ton with the Cummins. It'll be built in the USA by American workers...;)
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
mich800 wrote:
They go by GVWR. So yes your analogy works providing the 1500 is a comparable GVWR as the 3500 dually.

To me, components like 12.25" Dana 110, 10 lug Alcoa 19.5s, 15"+ brake rotors, and 87 mph commercial tires, all scream Class 4 truck.

If Ford sand bags the GVW just to squeeze into the Class 3, well that's like athletes dehydrating just to squeeze into a weight class - it works, but you'll lose some people's respect.

I guess if that makes you feel better. So the Ram with an advertised 30k tow rating that is higher than Rams 5500 is not?

At least RAM backs up their claims with SAE J807.

So you agree.

Of course, in the medium duty 4500/5500 trucks they are de tuned. I am sure they could up the ratings if they wanted to, legitimately.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
mich800 wrote:
They go by GVWR. So yes your analogy works providing the 1500 is a comparable GVWR as the 3500 dually.

So you agree.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fish you are correct on Diamler May 7 1998.

Both my 98's are made in late 97 since they are both 12 Valves.

I wish my RAM were "assembled" in USA. Still it has the Mighty Cummins and many of it's other parts come from USA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
mich800 wrote: