cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Pump Rub in Transfer Case

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
GM transfer cases 261 and 263 are prone to a condition known as Pump Rub. It is where the pump used to circulate the fluid in the transfer case wiggles back and forth wearing a hole in the transfer case, allowing fluid to leak out and if not caught the loss of fluid will destroy the transfer case.
Know of this condition I installed a modification to prevent the pump rub, but I was too late and had a hole in my transfer case not knowing it. I still had plenty of fluid so the damage was limited to the case housing.
I am currently in the process of replacing the damaged transfer case housing with the pump rub mod to prevent damage in the future.

My point is to frequently check the fluid level in your transfer case, and at the first sign of leakage if you see any, perform the pump bub fix.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel
23 REPLIES 23

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
kw/00 wrote:
Quick question since we are on topic, does the newer 2007.5 and up have the same issue? Just curios, I have looked on my 09 and have not seen any evidence of it. It only has about 73k on it now.
Thanks

NO

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Quick question since we are on topic, does the newer 2007.5 and up have the same issue? Just curios, I have looked on my 09 and have not seen any evidence of it. It only has about 73k on it now.
Thanks

No problem with 2007.5 and up. Different transfer case.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem in my 2000 Silverado. I had a complete transmission overhaul with upgraded parts to renew and correct the problem. The trannie guy who did my work said the thing that bothers him the most is that it is a defect that GM has known about for years and won't remedy so it continues today.
jesseannie

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a video explaining the Merchant Automotive replacement kit.

My 04' 2500HD is a proud owner of this kit.

Video

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys!

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
The pump turns with the output shaft. Thus it is in service both 2 wheel and 4 wheel.

The pump is a lubrication pump to supply fluid to the upper section of the transfer case that is below the fluid level.

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some pics, BurbMan
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any pics on where to look for a hole in the housing? Am I correct that when running in 2WD the only thing spinning in the transfer case is the input shaft? So for failure to occur due to lack of lube you would need to be running in 4WD?

Edumacate me here.

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
You can find aftermarket rear transfer cases here
www.transfercases.com. In Oakland, CA
They come with all the gaskets needed. These cases are built with harder aluminum so you don't need the adapter kits.
Pump rub was news to me until I noticed some case oil dripping. The "pump" is held by clips that eventually break then the pump rubs on the soft transfer case wall and wears a hole. This is not a "might happen" thing it is a "when will it happen" thing. Damage occurs when you loose enough fluid to damage the unit. Since the hole is usually above the fluid line it only leaks when operating so you don't get a big puddle when you park. I would suggest getting getting it done now or inspect the case regularly for any fluid on the outside of the rear case.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

Swampman597
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
1oldtruck wrote:
http://www.merchant-automotive.com

They have complete cases, kits to fix the problem on your case or just the tail housing.

X2 on the Merchant kit.
2014 Chevy 2500 Duramax, short bed, 4WD
2004 Keystone Laredo 27RL
Escapees member

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There TWO potential issues with these NP transfer cases...

One is that the snap ring for the tail housing shaft doesn't hole it well enough
and allows the shaft to move rearwards. A clamp on collar is that fix. I've seen
kits with new snap ring, but the collar is the best, IMHO

Other is this topic and is with the impeller/pump on the shaft. The first NP's
relied on the chain to drag lube 'up there' and a must was to run in 4x4 every
once a while...like once a month

This pump problem has two types of fix-it-kits. One is a metal plate to increase
the Xfr-Case wall thickness. Those kits are in the under $10 buck range. The
better fix is with a ADDITIONAL disc in the pump/impeller stack and comes with
a stack of gaskets too

Many DIY'ers just epoxy the hole and seems to a be holding from the years I've
read about that one
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...