cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Happijac tie downs installed! Maybe some other discussion...

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Went with these because of cost mainly, but I believe that they'll work well for me and what I do. Also have been known to go off road occasionally. Got what I feel was a good deal from some internet site. They also included the bar that goes between the brackets for my application.

So, I'll include a couple of pictures. Basically, what I have to say about them is this: I think the installation looks elegant, I was surprised at the ease of the installation, and when I ordered the system I didn't know that it came with the centering guides. I have yet to have the camper on the truck yet, but I am happy that I have the centering guides. I've only loaded the camper on the truck a total of three times and what seems to like to happen is I get the back where it needs to be, and the front of the camper is always loaded towards the passenger side of the truck.

Now, I think the turnbuckles that I already have will work with this mounting system and I can get rid of the home made stuff that I have. I am way more confident in the way that the Happijacs are mounted and I would consider it frame mounted. Plus, the stuff I had before used chains and it was a lot of extra stuff to hook up when securing the camper. I also have heard that chains with spring loaded turnbuckles can cause some undesired feelings while driving.

Here's what the old setup looked like

And here's a photo of the truck and the camper with the old home made setup.

Now for the discussion. I have recently been in the process of selling my 2006 Cummins truck. I was going to find a dually, but there are a few issues with this. I don't have swing out brackets. My truck is already setup with everything besides a super hitch. And I would much rather bank the money and pay things off and go with some 19.5s and commercial tires on this truck. Dry weight of the camper is probably 3000 lbs, and id like to be able to tow a Mastercraft ski boat on a tandem axle trailer. Nuts, or what?

Let me know what you think. Just can't seem to find a decent truck for a decent price. Everything is inflated right now. I am over on weight, but I don't feel like it's anything the truck can't handle. Tires are for sure a concern though. And I know this topic has been beaten to death, through the nermerous searches I've done trying to justify not having to get another truck. This one is my baby. It needs some paint and trans work. I'd much rather use the money for it and bank some.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
34 REPLIES 34

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer

Having 1998 Caribou riding on a ram 3500 drw using fastguns with my torklift frame mounted mounted tie downs I feel real secure. But even my 2007 ram sits a little low so I'm looking at air ride bags. Driving the drw ram is really sweet almost like it's on a rail. I sure do enjoy the 98 caribou but they are heavy. I only drive 55 and the 5.9 diesel got 15.25 mpg on 270 driven.
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M 3.4 kW generator
Two year old Boston Terrier Yes I'm a dog person

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know the frame is the same on the 2nd gen Ram 2500 vs. the 3500 so getting the suspension and tires up to the task was my mission.
Run it over the scale with full fuel, fresh water etc and see where you are, you should really work on getting the rear to level out. The 19.5 set up was the icing on the cake for my rig but I got it leveled out first. The Vision 19.5 wheel will make the stance slightly wider.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is very disappointing to have a discussion, and have someone throw attitudes in the mix. Nothing contributing to the discussion, just an attitude. It is very much like a Troll. If you do not agree with a discussion, simply say so, and leave it alone.

I also see no reason to add comments like "No nuns or orphans obliterated in the process."

I suggest staying on topic, or risk your post being deleted.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
getpower1 wrote:
As I've been reading through this and seen how adamant everyone is about this subject, I have been reminded of something that I've found out through work. You ever seen a concrete mixer with Super Singles on the two rear axles? It's not a fun piece of equipment to drive, and that's within its weight limits.

That's the point I try to make in these discussions. Even if you do everything in your power to get it wrong, the odds are still highly in favor of you getting from point A to point B safe and sound. No nuns or orphans obliterated in the process.

What your attitude will be like when you get there is a whole other subject. Will you be relaxed and happy, or wound up tighter than a Swiss watch on Sunday?

Those ready-mix trucks are driven short distances, and usually at less than highway speeds. RVs are meant for traveling. Hundreds of miles, hours at a time. It's got to be comfortable to drive or you won't drive it after a trip or two. Then it's a massive waste of money.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not agree with this discussion
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Vinsil wrote:
Love my upgrade to 19.5's. Made the difference of not trading my truck in for a drw.

Do it, go to 19.5's. skip the new truck.....that X1 doesn't weigh than what I tow with a 42" supertruss....

My next truck will most likely be a drw...unless I swap over my 19.5's...

It's an XStar. Little heavier than an X1 probably. Only a 20' model though. The research I've done on it puts me at maybe 250-ish tongue weight and around 6000 lbs.

And it's never more than 2-3 hours. I don't go far. Not trying to make this all work while going 75mph all the way to New York.

Appreciate it, thanks.
2003 Aljo 259LT

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
i have tried too avoid posting on this thread, but decided I should. I do not think the sky is falling. I have to give the following disclaimer, I am not frugal, but I am cheap. I prefer not to argue with people whose only experience is from a couch. However someones rig is setup, it should be in their comfort level and hopefully within their driving skills. I have recently bought a 2004 Ram 4x4 DRW, not because I am dissatisfied with my SRW, but for its creature comforts. I do have higher expectations from the DRW.

I have had my 1996 2WD (6200 lbs), SRW Ram 2500 since 2001, and my 4200 pound (loaded) Bigfoot (11.5 ft) TC since 2004. The 4x4 version of my truck is typically 7000 lbs. I have over 170,000 milers with the TC on my truck. I have made many modifications to my truck over the years, and can state the 19.5 wheels and tires made the most obvious difference. Although I am not a member of the weight police, I am a tire member of the tire capacity police. I had several different tires and one set of different wheels. I was, and am, comfortable with the 1996 Ram. Simply stated, I upgraded the 1996 2500 with a Helwig anti-sway bar, airbags, and the 19.5's. It is my belief, no less than these upgrades is necessary. I do believe that it is very important to pay attention to road conditions as it pertains to braking. I have never had a close call, but I am definitely watchful.

I am reluctant to add the weight a Super Hitch allows. The math for a 48-inch extension takes me beyond my comfort level. I do flat tow a 2900 lb Samurai. It has no tongue weight, but does add to breaking requirements. During the past few months, I have added a brake system to the Samurai, not because I was not comfortable with my trucks braking but because every little bit helps.

Simply stated, I have no problem with your rig with the upgrades I have made. I am a bit uncomfortable with adding the super hitch extension. I really do not think the OEM hitch is up to the job. As I understand, to install a Super Hitch with the typical 24 to 48 inch extension will cost about $2500. Someone with experience can provide exact numbers. Then the question is can the truck handle the extra weight. I think it could, but I would want input from someone that has run that setup.

I am open for discussion on anything I have posted here.

Wayne

I hear you on all of this. I am glad to hear from someone who has near the same truck as me. I can tell you, I have had the truck weighed. It was a requirement to bring it into CA. I know that it weighs 6500 lbs, and that was with a huge gooseneck hitch that was mounted to about a 4'x2-1/2'x maybe 1/2" steel plate. Took two of us to remove it. Since the addition of the airbags, bed mat, and tie downs, I am most likely back up to that 6500.

I also have to say, I'm glad you did post here. I've been struggling with the words I want to use while posting because of frustration. I know a few guys on here have told me the same thing more than once already. I'm just not positive it's in my best interest to "go big" or go home.

I know how to drive. I have a CDL and drive a truck that weighs up to 70,000 lbs daily with a top heavy liquid load. I'm not comparing my pickup to that truck. Just stating that I have experience with handling more than just 4000 lbs of rock in the bed of it.

I appreciate the people who are being realistic and professional about my ordeal here. I also appreciate the PMs and he offers to come out and check out other's trucks that were set up for a similar setup.
2003 Aljo 259LT

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Love my upgrade to 19.5's. Made the difference of not trading my truck in for a drw.

Do it, go to 19.5's. skip the new truck.....that X1 doesn't weigh than what I tow with a 42" supertruss....

My next truck will most likely be a drw...unless I swap over my 19.5's...
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have tried too avoid posting on this thread, but decided I should. I do not think the sky is falling. I have to give the following disclaimer, I am not frugal, but I am cheap. I prefer not to argue with people whose only experience is from a couch. However someones rig is setup, it should be in their comfort level and hopefully within their driving skills. I have recently bought a 2004 Ram 4x4 DRW, not because I am dissatisfied with my SRW, but for its creature comforts. I do have higher expectations from the DRW.

I have had my 1996 2WD (6200 lbs), SRW Ram 2500 since 2001, and my 4200 pound (loaded) Bigfoot (11.5 ft) TC since 2004. The 4x4 version of my truck is typically 7000 lbs. I have over 170,000 milers with the TC on my truck. I have made many modifications to my truck over the years, and can state the 19.5 wheels and tires made the most obvious difference. Although I am not a member of the weight police, I am a tire member of the tire capacity police. I had several different tires and one set of different wheels. I was, and am, comfortable with the 1996 Ram. Simply stated, I upgraded the 1996 2500 with a Helwig anti-sway bar, airbags, and the 19.5's. It is my belief, no less than these upgrades is necessary. I do believe that it is very important to pay attention to road conditions as it pertains to braking. I have never had a close call, but I am definitely watchful.

I am reluctant to add the weight a Super Hitch allows. The math for a 48-inch extension takes me beyond my comfort level. I do flat tow a 2900 lb Samurai. It has no tongue weight, but does add to breaking requirements. During the past few months, I have added a brake system to the Samurai, not because I was not comfortable with my trucks braking but because every little bit helps.

Simply stated, I have no problem with your rig with the upgrades I have made. I am a bit uncomfortable with adding the super hitch extension. I really do not think the OEM hitch is up to the job. As I understand, to install a Super Hitch with the typical 24 to 48 inch extension will cost about $2500. Someone with experience can provide exact numbers. Then the question is can the truck handle the extra weight. I think it could, but I would want input from someone that has run that setup.

I am open for discussion on anything I have posted here.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
getpower1 wrote:
As far as the Happijac tie down system goes...I know what I did to install it. There are a lot of people that have been using it for years and with heavier campers. I drilled the holes into the brackets that are welded to the frame and bolted them in myself. It's a lot more sturdy that the plywood that the eye bolts in the camper are mounted to. I'm more than happy with the way the system is engineered to work.

Most folks who have never used or installed Happijac tie downs don't know or pay attention to the bracket that is bolted to the frame and up to the front mount and "assume" you are only bolted to the front box. You will be fine, 1,000's of others have ran these for years, including extreme off-roading with a loaded camper.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I'll need a super hitch for sure.

Focusing on just getting the truck sold and I'll figure out what I'm going to do from there.

I'm leaning towards going ahead and just getting 19.5s. I have nothing against getting a dually, but I don't feel like it's something I'll be happy living with.

I may go ahead and throw the camper on the truck this weekend and go have the setup weighed. Only cost me a little money and some time. Then I'll know for sure what's going on with the weights and be able to make an accurate judgement call.

As far as the Happijac tie down system goes...I know what I did to install it. There are a lot of people that have been using it for years and with heavier campers. I drilled the holes into the brackets that are welded to the frame and bolted them in myself. It's a lot more sturdy that the plywood that the eye bolts in the camper are mounted to. I'm more than happy with the way the system is engineered to work.
2003 Aljo 259LT

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
19.5's would work for what you are doing. I put the 19.5's on in the summer time when I tow my 6000lb boat. Don't tow in the winter so I run 3800 lbs wheels and 4000 lbs tires on my SRW.

Some mastercrafts are huge. You may need a superhitch.

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
getpower1 wrote:
"DISASTER"???

Come on bud. The guy who owned the camper before me had the exact same truck as I do to haul it.

You have no way of knowing if the guy who owned it actually used it, or drove really slow and short distances. I think the point was that you are likely significantly overloaded, and there is real risk. Even after spending money you will likely be overloaded for a SRW.

If a DRW will work for you, that's probably the best approach. Still, some of us including myself opted to go with 19.5s on SRWs for a period of time. In my case, a DRW couldn't reasonably go wear I needed to go as my daily driver. Unless you get a screaming deal on 19.5s, you can trade for a DRW probably cheaper.

Have fun!

Yeah I got ya. I'll just have to see what happens in the near future.
2003 Aljo 259LT

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
getpower1 wrote:
"DISASTER"???

Come on bud. The guy who owned the camper before me had the exact same truck as I do to haul it.

You have no way of knowing if the guy who owned it actually used it, or drove really slow and short distances. I think the point was that you are likely significantly overloaded, and there is real risk. Even after spending money you will likely be overloaded for a SRW.

If a DRW will work for you, that's probably the best approach. Still, some of us including myself opted to go with 19.5s on SRWs for a period of time. In my case, a DRW couldn't reasonably go wear I needed to go as my daily driver. Unless you get a screaming deal on 19.5s, you can trade for a DRW probably cheaper.

Have fun!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Getpower1,
The way your truck is SETTING DOWN in rear speaks VOLUMES if you will Listen. Even with air bags and or overloads to level the truck, it is STILL overloaded. You are playing with DISASTER!!!
Your tie downs are still anchored to the BED not the frame - NOT GOOD.
A good welder can build a set of frame tie downs for a third of the cost of Tolklifts. Show him a picture of Tolklifts and see what he can do. Mine did.

"DISASTER"???

Come on bud. The guy who owned the camper before me had the exact same truck as I do to haul it. I'm not saying it was right, but it worked for him all those years. Plus, again, it doesn't have swing out brackets for the front jacks, which means that, since new, the camper was hauled on a single rear wheel truck.

I can admit that it's not confidence inspiring to drive it. I have been on the Bay Bridge with it, and the truck was leaning the whole way across. This was before a sway bar and air bags.

I'm still going to look into a DRW truck. I guess I kind of have to.

As I've been reading through this and seen how adamant everyone is about this subject, I have been reminded of something that I've found out through work. You ever seen a concrete mixer with Super Singles on the two rear axles? It's not a fun piece of equipment to drive, and that's within its weight limits.
2003 Aljo 259LT