cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard wired EMS questions

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new TT that we had the dealer install a Progressive Industries hard wired 50 AMP EMS with the remote display. I understand the codes and have read the manual. Does anyone know if the red display screen on the remote display can be turned off or reduce the brightness of the screen? I'm sure we'll get use to it. It appears like the bypass mode displays the word OFF, which is good. Anyone know a reason or situation that would need it turned off ? With all the electronic equipment and we have the Jensen In Command system it's a good feeling to know we are protected. I think it should come as a factory option.
Thanks for any input or suggestions
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH
26 REPLIES 26

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My remote pendant lays in the closet floor behind the closed door. If I ever need to read it, I open the door and pick it up.

I second the post not to use the bypass switch when running on a generator. Generators can and do fail, and if you have it bypassed, you have no protection from that. A GROUND/NEUTRAL bonding plug is easily made for about $3 and works wonderfully well. If you need that information, just ask and a dozen of us will tell you how.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like some of the others have my remote display in a closed off area so I don't see it scrolling all the time.

On my last trip I checked it and it said OFF,I moved the switch up and down and it still said OFF,thinking I had a problem with the unit, I called the company in North Carolina,the tech answered quickly and was helpful,he ran me thru a few tests then asked if when I moved the switch up and down if the display moved,it did.

He said to unplug it and I would still be protected. Also he said that they had some that the glue that held the board inside came loose and if I would send him a copy of my receipt he would send me another one,I did and in 2 days I had a new Remote.

I really like their Lifetime Warranty and you can actually to talk to some one in the US with that Southern Accent!

So any of you have a old one like this it may fail,but they will replace it FREE.

The new one looks like this.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 30A one is right under the bottom bunk, no hum that I've noticed.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
May I ask, do EMS's ever make noise or hum? (looking at PI50A)

Dealer installed the main unit in the pass thru compartment almost in the center right under the bed. No unusual humming from the bed area. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Read it was normal to "hum".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
May I ask, do EMS's ever make noise or hum? (looking at PI50A)

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Tape a small piece of paper over it that can just be lifted up.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
In our trailer I mounted ours inside the wardrobe and in our B I mounted it inside a kitchen cupboard. Open the door to see what's up.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd make a guess that the dealer installed the remote display in a spot where it was the easiest and least amount of work.

I mounted our remote display inside a cabinet above the dinette, at the top of the rear wall. I just open the cabinet door to view the display. I found the scrolling very annoying and distracting, and the DW even more so. Have a bunch of other LED displays and indicating lights plus the blue glow of the radio and it looks like the inside of a space shuttle and don't want another one, esp. if it blinks non-stop...

I installed an LED voltmeter and ammeter (30 amps) on the wall near the entry door and only need the EMS display for error codes should the EMS sense a problem. The non-scrolling displays are sooo much easier to view and don't need for the readouts to scroll through the sequence to see what you want which normally would be just the voltage. I still need to stick a copy of the error codes on the wall beside it so I won't need to go searching for the manual if needed.

Don't know where your EMS is, but without too much difficulty, you can run wiring inside interior walls, in the hollow cavity under cabinets, in ceilings, inside dinette seating, under shower/bathtub, etc. Then you could relocate the remote display to a more suitable location (limited by the cable length).

One thing I don't like about the PI remote display is that it is designed for surface mounting only. Would be nice if it could be flush-mounted on a standard outlet box cover plate so it could be installed on a wall.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I mounted ours at knee level. You will get used to it. If you don't already have it, keep a list of error codes with your trailer in the event you need them.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
The off function is like a bypass and you will need it when using a generator because there will be no physical "sensed" ground. This will throw a code and cut the power to the TT.

Even on genset, better to leave the EMS fully functional by simply G-N bonding the genset output. I mounted mine under the sofa with the remote monitor secured to the wall next to the window above the sofa where I can see it from outside by simply opening the trailer door ... unlike some, I don't find the display obtrusive at all.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
deleted
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.