cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me chose side steps

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
I may have a new truck by the new year and it needs side steps so my wife can get in. If it doesn't come with steps I will add them. What brands do you recommend?
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y
36 REPLIES 36

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Can the AMP steps be added to the existing running boards ?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Deep_Trax
Explorer
Explorer
wgriswold wrote:
I may have a new truck by the new year and it needs side steps so my wife can get in. If it doesn't come with steps I will add them. What brands do you recommend?

Wife and I are both on the old & short side. We recently bought a 2015 Chevy 2500HD New truck came with factory side steps, but the steps are very high and very difficult for the wife.

Santa just bought us a new set of Amp Research Power Steps with Plug & Play option. Ours ending up costing $1134 which includes the $100 rebate promotion that is currently being offered. Shipping was free and we bought from any out of state retailer who did not charge tax.

Wife and I love these Power Steps as they split the step up into the cab into 2 equal steps. The OEM factory steps were much closer to a 75/25 split. The Power Steps also add LED lighting that illumanate the steps & ground beneath. Factory steps did not have the nice lighting.

I did my own install which was a little challenging only because the instructions were poorly written IMO.

Best $1134 Santa has spent on me in many years.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer frame mounted steps (those that use the body mount bolts) rather than those that clamp to the body panels below the door.

Smittybilt Stainless - lifetime warranty.
Bob

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of Smittybuilt bars on my '03 Ram. Put the steps on whenthe truck was new. It is now 12yrs old and as solid as when they were first put on. The use the body mount bolts, so they are at least as solid as the truck cab. Came with all mounting hardware.

Put mine on after work one day using hand tools.
Dan

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. Lots of good information for after I purchase the truck. That will probably happen before the end of the year.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a pair from amazon for about $150.
they were as good as the factory ones on my last Ford.
easy install

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Majja13 wrote:
The electrics are expensive, but if you are paying Dealer price of 650-850 for steps then they are only 400-500 more. I personally like the look with out steps, and if you need the extra break over height then AMP is the only way to go.

I agree ,if I had it to do over, I would of negotiated the Amp steps on my Ram truck, oh well next time.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
For a lady getting in and out of a truck the AMP steps can't be beat. I have a wife and young daughter that occasionally are in the truck and adding this to the new one was a no brainer for me.
The older truck has molded aftermarket steps that have worked great and look nice in my opinion. The draw back is that even with the step it is still harder for ladies to get in and out of my truck.

Lots of options out there- maybe let her decide what she wants... Happy wife, Happy life...
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I like the wheel to wheel steps. The sides of the trucks and the height just keep getting bigger and at six feet tall it is hard to get anything out of the bed. So having nerf bars that have a step at the bed is a big help and I think they look good. I like the Go Rhino brand. I get the power coat black ones run them a couple years and then get them Rhino lined. I prefer the blacked out look over Stainless.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
We like the AMP research, spoils us. I like the look of the truck with the steps retracted, the factory steps are too high for my wife. AMP makes a nice product.

And if you do any fairly serious 4 wheeling these are the only solution. Me, the price was an issue so I just follow my dogs lead and jump on in.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We like the AMP research, spoils us. I like the look of the truck with the steps retracted, the factory steps are too high for my wife. AMP makes a nice product.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on Craigslist and the truck forums. People remove new OEM steps and sell them all the time.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get one of these and it will come with steps.

I going to provide some earth shattering news... All brands now provide steps from the factory. :W
This is true for the ones I have seem. However they are all still to high for me, even your beloved Ford ones. For me the step must be no higher than 9 inches off of the ground. Mine are Luvernes. OP, I suggest you go to Running boards.com and shop till your heart is content.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JesLookin wrote:
We got the OEM step on our '14 Ram 3500. Works perfectly. We did get the full length step that goes all the way to the rear wheel well. Makes it easy to stand on & hook up the 5er.

Only available with a SRW truck.

DRW this is my solution for short factory running boards. Makes tool box access and 5er hitching nice.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD