cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch ball grease

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to travel trailers. How often do I need to put grease on the hitch ball? What kind do I buy and where do I find it?
52 REPLIES 52

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
itguy08 wrote:
This may sound "odd" but if you're worried about grease getting on your clothes and use Vaseline, why not use K-Y Jelly? Water soluble so it should was right out.

Not a bad idea!
But Vasoline also washes out easily.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound "odd" but if you're worried about grease getting on your clothes and use Vaseline, why not use K-Y Jelly? Water soluble so it should was right out.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I, too, use wheel bearing grease and wipe if off when I disconnect. I tried the wax paper thing once, and between the squeaking and the fact the wax paper got chewed up pretty badly, I never used it again.

Wheel bearing grease is cheap, a pint can of it is a lifetime supply.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I don't use it either. But, I don't use a weight distribution hitch and I wonder if they don't put a lot more pressure in the ball?

I've heard of people using wax paper. It adds a little lubrication, does not attract dirt, and doesn't get you dirty.

You bet they do! Take a look at this thread to get an idea how much. Not using grease not only will wear out the hitch components sooner than later but it sometimes contributes to the ball coming loose from the hitch head by being turned by the coupler friction - and waxed paper does not do the lubrication job that is needed.

Grease is also needed on the hitch head where the WD bars insert on a round bar hitch and where the trunnions contact the hitch head in a trunnion style hitch. Any place on the hitch that you have moving steel on steel contact should receive some grease.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use wheel bearing grease. I apply before towing & clean after the trip. I never used grease when towing other trailers locally, but I like the idea for long trips. I don't think using grease is a bad thing other than maybe getting a little grease on you.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a lot of grease and still wore down the ball chrome.

I like the Vaseline idea.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grease it. Don't need a lot. Cheap Pep Boys is what I used for years.

I don't know how you folks are getting grease everywhere. When I unhitch, I always have rag in my pocket and just wipe it off and put the cover back on. Done! I grease all the friction points on my hitch that require it and it doesn't make a sound. I don't know why you wouldn't lubricate a high pressure, metal to metal, moving joint. But hey, those of you who don't grease, knock yourselves out.

Some also use a sheet of wax paper. I tried it once but it ate the paper pretty quickly, so only sorta worked for me.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised at all the, "Never used it," guys..

I do. I like this stuff. One jar lasts forever.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
White lithium grease is easier to wash out of your clothes when (not if) you get it on them.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I use whatever bearing grease I have around. When I unhitch I wipe the ball off with a paper towel.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
I've towed for decades and never greased as it got everywhere no matter how careful.

When we got the new TT the ball to hitch was sooooooo tight it needed to be a dead on alignment or else it wouldn't drop all the way down. Then I'd have problems with the hitch lock. A little bearing grease and that all magically went away.

The WDH doesn't sound like a 120 decibel opening coffin anymore either.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm another one that never uses grease.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't use it either. But, I don't use a weight distribution hitch and I wonder if they don't put a lot more pressure in the ball?

I've heard of people using wax paper. It adds a little lubrication, does not attract dirt, and doesn't get you dirty.

Explorer
Explorer
I lube my balls on several trucks. At this time I am experimenting on several different lubrication methods. I will keep you updated
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There was a time when I didn't use it either and then I started getting this tremendous squeak from it with a tent trailer we had. I also saw one that had worn through the top of the female side on a construction trailer (left a piece the size of a quarter in the middle) and didn't like that idea.
Either way it's not the end of the world.