cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot wheels? bearings? or breaks?

ddadda
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, 2007 dutchmen. I noticed last trip the wheels were hot. Almost too hot to hold your hand on the center of the wheel. One was little hotter then other three. I have never done anything to the breaks or bearing.besides add a squirt of grease into the zerks. Any good advise? I will be doing this soon. Where can I purchase the bearings? / Breaks
12 REPLIES 12

ddadda
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled 50 miles on highway 65 mph 90 outside temp. Slowed to stop. Checked wheels. Not at all hot. Maybe I was over using breaks?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
brakes

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You should take the hub cover off and check ea wheel nut, I believe the torque is around 135 ft lb which is tight. If all are'nt the same the loose one runs hot and the dry one does too.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really think there's a problem you need to disassemble the hubs and take a look. Or, purchase an infrared thermometer and get your actual temps; you may be surprised they're not as hot as you think.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
A squirt of grease isnโ€™t the proper way to use the EZ lube and if you used the wrong non compatible grease you may have contaminated the grease already in thereโ€ฆ

I have used the EZ lube axles for years on several trailers and havenโ€™t greased my brakes yetโ€ฆ there are plenty of people that donโ€™t like themโ€ฆ some from the reputation of the old bearing buddy, some old school believers, and some failures with the EZ lube feature (most of those from not following directions or not using a compatible grease)โ€ฆ
They are supplying the EZ lube type axles because they get fewer warranty repairs and it cost them less than it would without themโ€ฆ the only motivation known by the RV industryโ€ฆ
If greasing the brakes were a major problem they would limit them to smaller axles that donโ€™t have brakesโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I agree you need to do some serious maintenance. An easy way to determine if it is brakes or bearings is to go about 50 miles nonstop without using the brakes. (may be difficult in some parts of the country but out here in the west not a problem) Allow you system to slow to a stop with as little brakes as possible. If the grease cap is hot and the brake drum is not then it is a bearing problem. If the grease cap is just above ambient then you have a brake problem. The grease cap should always be near ambient when this is done.

john_b1
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
ScottG wrote:
The squirting grease thing is probably whats causing the heat. Either the bearings need proper greasing or it's yet another occurrence of the EZ lube leaking grease on the pads - which can cause a lot of heat. You need to take it apart and service it properly.

My experience has been just the opposite. When the seal leaked, greasing my brakes, they were a lot cooler than the other, non-greased brakes after a hard stop. That's how I detected the leaky seal.

This makes good sense as the same friction isnt developing because of lack of gription!! JMHO jB
2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
The squirting grease thing is probably whats causing the heat. Either the bearings need proper greasing or it's yet another occurrence of the EZ lube leaking grease on the pads - which can cause a lot of heat. You need to take it apart and service it properly.

My experience has been just the opposite. When the seal leaked, greasing my brakes, they were a lot cooler than the other, non-greased brakes after a hard stop. That's how I detected the leaky seal.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
At this point I would pull the hubs to look, or have a shop do it. There is a possibility that you only had hot brakes. But there is a much higher probability that you have a bearing or brake problem.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Only advice I can offer is to do regular maintenance on your wheels more often then once every 7 years. Squirting a little grease in is not "regular maintenance".

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There is help and parts at etrailer.com, also easternmarine.com