cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How disappointed will I be

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering getting rid of the red goat and going with a Ford or Chevy gasser. The power is great with the diesel engine but its not for driving short distances. How disappointed will I be when towing. I try to stay at the poseted speed limit but we know how that works.
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK
21 REPLIES 21

MHWASH
Explorer
Explorer
2 years ago I swithced from a 6L gasser to a new D-max. The only difference between my 09 and my 13 was the motor/tranny. I went from an average of 6mpg to 10mpg towing. We tow a 31' TH with one ATV and three dirt bikes. Although I don't drive the TV much for other than towing, the mileage with the deisel is always better. As another poster mentioned, the volume of noise in the cab is much greater with the big gas motor. Either way your fill ups are going to be $100. I've heard the new Ram 6.4 gets 10+ towing loads of up to 12k, but I have a hard time believing it.

I agree your best bet is to go buy a commuter car.

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
The day I have to give up my diesel is the day I quite camping. I only average 6500 miles a year on it so I guess I really don't need it but I do alot of things that don't make sense.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We just upped to a 2015 Ford F250 6.7L diesel from a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost with the Max tow and the HD package. The new one is about 3" taller, has about the same amount of torque, but gets much better mileage towing.

We live about 40 miles north of you and the towing in the mountains has been great with both vehicles.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
kalynzoo wrote:
My previous motorhomes for 30ish years have been gassers. You will be disappointed. With the engine up front the noise level is really much higher. I love my diesel because I can talk with my wife, listen to the radio, hear myself think. These were never an option with a gas engine. The gas RV gives plenty of power, we could pull our towed over the Calif mountains without a problem at highway speed...but oh the noise.

HUGE difference bewteen RV and Truck Noise. My 02 3/4 ton gasser is WAY quiter than the old 454 Motor home I had. You were sitting on the Motor in the Clasa A.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a used diesel truck (Ram) a year and a half ago, to tow our RV. It only gets occasional local use other than towing duty. Even though it now has 145K on it, I have not had to do anything but normal maintenance -- no repairs. Personally, I will never ever go back to towing with a gasser. Just no comparison in towing ease, plus mileage is better with the diesel.

Also, don't know how long it will last, but for quite a while now, diesel is cheaper than gas here, lately over 40 cents a gallon cheaper. Sometime down the road, resale will be higher, and it will sell easier and quicker than a gasser.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm happy with mine pulling 12k - mountains and flats.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Get an ecoboost and you won't lose the Hp in the mountains.

LittleRedGoat
Explorer
Explorer
The hardest pulls that I am going to have would be around Asheville NC ( Sams gap and Saluda Mountain)
2018 Chevy 3500 Duramax DRW, 4wd
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l, swb, 4wd(old)
2013 V-Cross 295VRK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you like the sound of the engine screaming at 5K go for it!

Actually just go tryout a new RAM you really will be impressed!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
My previous motorhomes for 30ish years have been gassers. You will be disappointed. With the engine up front the noise level is really much higher. I love my diesel because I can talk with my wife, listen to the radio, hear myself think. These were never an option with a gas engine. The gas RV gives plenty of power, we could pull our towed over the Calif mountains without a problem at highway speed...but oh the noise.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
FCA is going to buy it back so just wait.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
I would NEVER EVER EVER give my diesel up for towing!!

This is how I keep my fuel bills down. You can also do it in 4 wheels with a little beater car

There are lots of litle cars around for commuting and short trips that will work way better than giving up a great truck
Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the rig in your signature a newer 3/4 ton gasser will do fine, even in the mountains. We use a 3/4 ton Chevy to haul our 32' TT around the four corner states always traveling at elevation and we always get to our destination without issue. Just rev her up to her power band and we are good to go.

Our truck is dedicated to towing our rig and just sits in the garage awaiting duty, total waste of money for us to get a diesel as we would never realize any savings. As long as our TV has gas we know it will get us where we need to go, paid off and never has needed any service other than oil changes and filters.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
WyoTraveler wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
LittleRedGoat wrote:
I am considering getting rid of the red goat and going with a Ford or Chevy gasser. The power is great with the diesel engine but its not for driving short distances. How disappointed will I be when towing. I try to stay at the poseted speed limit but we know how that works.

Depends on where you drive. Lots of mountains, then you will regret it big time. Flatlands--not so much.

I get 16-17 mpg on my 6.7 in mixed driving how much better do you expect with a big gasser engine? Ah you have an 08, day and night difference between the old diesels and the 2011+ models.

So am I correct you are getting 17 mpg with your 6.7 diesel towing an 18k pound 5er? :B Love the post but not sure of the math. :h I'm going to run out and buy one tomorrow. Think they will gime me that in writing?:B

I wish, that's around town not towing. I kept careful track of mileage this last summer trip. On steep grades with a head wind I got around 9.5 mpg towing (Montana for example). On flatter land, I-10 coming back, I got 12-12.5 mpg. 62-63 mph on highways. Went up a 14% grade towing in Utah with no problem tho it downshifted to 3rd gear.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper