cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do it - is there a way?

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at buying a new-to-me TC from a private party - good deal on an older Lance 910 in solid shape. TC is for sale down by my parents, about 400 miles away from where I live.

One challenge - I have a dually, and it doesn't have swing out jacks.

Is there any way to load this thing so I can get it home without swingouts?
35 REPLIES 35

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
Have the seller arrange to get swing out brackets installed before you arrive.

Any mobile RV guy, handyman, or contractor can do this. You are going to have this expense and hassle anyway. Have the seller take care of it for you.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
username taken wrote:
How long does it take to install the swing out brackets?

10 minutes at most.

username taken wrote:
I'm going to need the brackets eventually, but I don't know if it's something I can install at the owner's home, what tools I'll need etc.

Yes, you can install them at the cutrrent owner's home. Tools needed - wrenches/socketc/ratchet

username taken wrote:
I was hoping to be able to back under as far as I can, remove the front jacks, then jack and slide, etc. Is there anything I could put between the camper and truck to make this feasable, or would it destroy the camper?

Once the camper is resting on the bed, with the front jacks removed, then there's no way to lift it to get it the rest of the way on the truck.

username taken wrote:
Not sure what brand the jacks are - does it matter?

Yes, it does matter. Not all jackets use teh same bolt pattern.

Using a crane is not going to work, not to mention the added expense of renting a crane and operator to do it.

Simplest soltion - get the correct brackets.
Bob

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
username taken wrote:
Agreed - very good advice on this forum.

Don't have any friends with a SRW that are set up with tie downs etc. I doubt I'd be able to find a rental truck with tie downs etc. as well.

I think best bet will be either to have the owner drop it by my folks house, or leave a deposit and come back with the correct brackets. I've been looking at a few campers with swing outs, and the install looks to be pretty easy. It will just be more of a matter of finding someone with the correct brackets in stock near where I will be, open on the weekend, etc.

AMAZON.COM and you can have them tomorrow for a fee. ATWOOD BRACKET

bglz42
Explorer
Explorer
I hear ya! I did not want to modify my friend's truck, so I am going to use big ratchet straps to the frame to secure the camper for the ride home. Not optimum, but will work...
2014 Freelander 19CB

username_taken
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed - very good advice on this forum.

Don't have any friends with a SRW that are set up with tie downs etc. I doubt I'd be able to find a rental truck with tie downs etc. as well.

I think best bet will be either to have the owner drop it by my folks house, or leave a deposit and come back with the correct brackets. I've been looking at a few campers with swing outs, and the install looks to be pretty easy. It will just be more of a matter of finding someone with the correct brackets in stock near where I will be, open on the weekend, etc.

bglz42
Explorer
Explorer
Funny... I am going through this right now...

I put a deposit on a mint-condition Roamer camper about 300 miles from my home. I also have a dually, so the original equipment tripod jacks will not clear my fenders. After much hand-winging, and inventive thought, I simply borrowed a friend's SRW truck for the weekend... I will re-engineer the jacks on my own property...

Very good advice on this forum!

Jim
2014 Freelander 19CB

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I used to work for a rental yard. We had those cable jacks that lifted a camper by the edge.

JacintoKid
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
A 3/8" ratchet with a 9/16" or 1/2" socket and 1/2"-9/16" combination wrench and about 30 minutes and you will have the job done.

I had to add the brackets to my 1050S when I bought my dually. Easy job.

By the time you remove the jacks to roll the camper into the bed of the truck, you are already half way there!

This
2014 Toyota tacoma 4WD
2014 FourWheel Camper Fleet model
OME full suspension swap

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dually brackets require two wrenches of the appropriate size to loosen/tighten up to 12 bolts. Nothing special. Not rocket science by a long shot.

When I went to get my camper, I took a set of combination wrenches, and a 1/2" drive socket set. I had all the wrenches I needed.

The camper was on the seller's truck, so we had the brackets installed in <10 minutes. Mine were the right brand of bracket, but the wrong era, so I also had to drill some holes.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to use rollers of some sort I would suggest putting some a couple of 2x10's between the bottom of the camper and the rollers to avoids any weight concentrated on a small area.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

scottz
Explorer
Explorer
It is winter, you most likely have time to make a good decision, so take your time.
Take a couple pictures if you get creative, and good luck.

Driftwood132
Explorer
Explorer
See if the owner will send you pictures of the jacks and the set up of how the brackets are mounted . Someone here can explain how and what you will have to change . Its not a real big deal if the brackets are facing out from the camper along with the jacks. But if they are under the cab over then the brackets will have to be taken off and turned around. This is on a Atwood or Ricco Titan type of jacks. The bolt holes will work on either if its a newer type of jack. I hope someone will chime and explain better.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
You said close to your folks..close enough that seller might deliver to your folks home? Then add the correct brackets. If its a Lance, given the modle & year and the jacks havent been changed out seems identifiable for which brand of extension to get.

Rollers.. I mean it seems like it might work, but all Im seeing is how much weight your settling into bed behind the rear wheels? Dont know how much it weighs. Mine wouldnt roll if they got near the edge. Not sure I would want to be point loading it like that (or my bed)less used a LOT of rollers. My luck Id get just past the fenders and rollers would cock or something-then what. Sliders sounds better-but still as mentioned pushing against rear jack & mounts. Dunno-- Id get the needed brackets before hand, another truck or have dropped at your folks. Do you have tie downs?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
1) Get make and picture and go buy some brackets before heading down
2) See if an RV place near the truck camper may have some
3) Take off jacks, take to welder and get some metal cut to extend the jacks. Take off when done and toss
4) Get a trailer and put it on the trailer.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks