cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get toasted?

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Followed the 12volt coffee maker thread and thought, "Hmmm - I wonder what they eat with their coffee?.... possibly toast?"

So how do most of you make toast?

I carried a cheap electric toaster, but always resented the space it took up in the cabinet. Plus we boon dock or Wally dock 1/2 the time and it was no good.

Tried toasting in a cast iron skillet using butter- mostly burned it and tasted very dry. Plus we aren't a "butter & jelly" family. Buttered is buttered and jelly is jelly - no butter allowed on the jelly toast. And I only carry cast iron if we need it for a recipe. So it was a lot of weight for a piece of toast.

Tried toasting it with a Coleman stove top camping toaster. Dried and burned. Plus the Coleman never did burn off all the stink - it always set the smoke alarm off no matter how low I set the burner.

Tried a DIY stove top toaster using a large tin can and some wire to suspend the toast over burner - dry and scorched. Argh, I just want some toast!

I finally found a way that worked. I use the GSI camping toaster.

Works quickly (1min per side) and it doesn't come our dry or burned. Folds flat and small. I like it.

Edit: I am gluten intolerant so having a way to heat/toast the GF bread and bagels I eat is a must! They have improved the flavor over the past 10 years, but GF bread can still get really dry and needs some help to make it taste decent IMHO.
38 REPLIES 38

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
About 6 Vodka Tonics.:S

WOW! The beauty of being a light weight, I'm there way before 6.

And doesn't the bread get soggy at 1?
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Hold slice of bread with fork over the gas stove flame.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Indy_Bob1
Explorer
Explorer
OBXcamper wrote:
I use one of these, it's also a good way to test the smoke alarm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

so do we!
IF YOU DON'T STAND FOR SOMETHING, THEN YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING.
1995 F-350 DRW PSD 5SPD
1972 Coachman 9' Knight
10' SA flatbed trailer to haul the other toys behind
2007 HD FLHTCI
2000 Honda ACE 750
1961 Willys Jeep CJ 5

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I'm talking about. Not sure if you can buy this exact model any more unless you find a used one like this.

Toaster
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
garryk6 wrote:
OBXcamper wrote:

Not only do we use this in our camper, but we use it at my dads remote Alaskan cabin, and our good friends even use it in their home in Anchorage AK, since they have a small kitchen, and it folds flat. They store it with the cookbooks.

These work really well!

Garry

X5, or 6...whatever...we use this for toast along with a french press for coffee as being independant of power is key for us.
It is rare for us to camp with electricity, and we only use a genny when winter camping.

This one never worked well for me...the one the OP showed is the one I use now...just wish it was a little bigger.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
garryk6 wrote:
OBXcamper wrote:

Not only do we use this in our camper, but we use it at my dads remote Alaskan cabin, and our good friends even use it in their home in Anchorage AK, since they have a small kitchen, and it folds flat. They store it with the cookbooks.

These work really well!

Garry

X5, or 6...whatever...we use this for toast along with a french press for coffee as being independant of power is key for us.
It is rare for us to camp with electricity, and we only use a genny when winter camping.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
OBXcamper wrote:

These work really well!

Garry
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

Driftwood132
Explorer
Explorer
Small toaster oven , 2000 watt inverter , 4 cup coffee maker. No noise . no fumes, no nasty looks from sleepy campers that you woke up with a generator. Later take the Yamaha generator out to charge the batteries or let the sun do it with the solar panels.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I only eat rye bread that doesn't need toasting..
toasting/burning bread destroys its nutritional value

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
We use a $9.99 2 slice bagel size toaster. We apparently have more storage area than we know what to do with.

X2 I guess it's all about priorities!:B
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
homefor2 wrote:
Yes you can still buy the Black & Decker under counter unit. This one was given to me after a friend remodelled his kitchen. The new one does a 9 inch pizza or 4 pieces of toast. Naturally you need a hook-up or generator.

Can this be ?
Looks like under the counter makes for expensive toast. :B

WOW !!! glad mine was free.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
OBXcamper wrote:

I usually use one of those, or more often than not, I just start the generator to use during the making of breakfast, and shut it down when there's no more electrical need.

The trick to these items is a piece of heavy duty tinfoil. Cover up the unused sides and the top with the foil and it will brown up a lot faster. The same piece of foil will last for years.

Ah ha - here's a new tip I didn't know about.

This is the toaster I got rid of b/c the "stink" never seemed to burn off. And the toast didn't turn out well.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an oven, so the broiling thing doesn't work, hence the entire "toast saga" LOL.

Thanks for the input.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
homefor2 wrote:
Yes you can still buy the Black & Decker under counter unit. This one was given to me after a friend remodelled his kitchen. The new one does a 9 inch pizza or 4 pieces of toast. Naturally you need a hook-up or generator.

Can this be ?
Looks like under the counter makes for expensive toast. :B