cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you get toasted?

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Followed the 12volt coffee maker thread and thought, "Hmmm - I wonder what they eat with their coffee?.... possibly toast?"

So how do most of you make toast?

I carried a cheap electric toaster, but always resented the space it took up in the cabinet. Plus we boon dock or Wally dock 1/2 the time and it was no good.

Tried toasting in a cast iron skillet using butter- mostly burned it and tasted very dry. Plus we aren't a "butter & jelly" family. Buttered is buttered and jelly is jelly - no butter allowed on the jelly toast. And I only carry cast iron if we need it for a recipe. So it was a lot of weight for a piece of toast.

Tried toasting it with a Coleman stove top camping toaster. Dried and burned. Plus the Coleman never did burn off all the stink - it always set the smoke alarm off no matter how low I set the burner.

Tried a DIY stove top toaster using a large tin can and some wire to suspend the toast over burner - dry and scorched. Argh, I just want some toast!

I finally found a way that worked. I use the GSI camping toaster.

Works quickly (1min per side) and it doesn't come our dry or burned. Folds flat and small. I like it.

Edit: I am gluten intolerant so having a way to heat/toast the GF bread and bagels I eat is a must! They have improved the flavor over the past 10 years, but GF bread can still get really dry and needs some help to make it taste decent IMHO.
38 REPLIES 38

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can still buy the Black & Decker under counter unit. This one was given to me after a friend remodelled his kitchen. The new one does a 9 inch pizza or 4 pieces of toast. Naturally you need a hook-up or generator.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I use a campatoaster. Works excellent! Better than my toaster at home and faster even though I have to flip the toast. Just don't use too high a flame on the stove.

I got mine off Amazon for about $8 and free shipping with PRIME

http://www.camp-a-toaster.com/

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing better than grilled toast...only thing my dad could make without burning it....sometimes.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
We just use the TC oven.

Wayne

๐Ÿ˜›

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
OBXcamper wrote:
I use one of these, it's also a good way to test the smoke alarm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I usually use one of those, or more often than not, I just start the generator to use during the making of breakfast, and shut it down when there's no more electrical need.

The trick to these items is a piece of heavy duty tinfoil. Cover up the unused sides and the top with the foil and it will brown up a lot faster. The same piece of foil will last for years.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't eat a lot of bread, but the toaster sounds cool.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
For Morning Toast: Turn Oven to broil and place bread on bottom rack below the flame, turn bread over to complete Toast.
For Evening Toast: place vodka in freezer the night before, fill up ice cube tray and also place in freezer. When 5 o clock hits, fill red plastic cup with ice 1/3 full of vodka and your drink mix of choice and enjoy, keep doing this over and over again to complete Toast.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
About 6 Vodka Tonics.:S

WOW! The beauty of being a light weight, I'm there way before 6.

Two is just "lightly"

Four is "well done"

and 6 is "burnt to a crisp" :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Maker's and Ginger Ale - year round
Bailey's Irish Cream - fall & winter
Bud light Lime - summer
Tequila - whenever I want to get in trouble.

or if we are talking bread - the wire thingy that OBX uses. good ol dry toast is good for hang-overs
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
A cast iron frying pan. We just don't have a lot of space.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good wine or Crown..

I have a ridged skillet, small square thing, cheap. Use it to toast whatever. It's almost as quick as a toaster, two slices at a time, bagel, whatever.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:

I found one of those a few years ago and immediately got rid of all the other gadgets I had acquired to make toast.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regular electric toaster. But I don't own a truck camper.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Me personally, 2-3 cocktails. DH, about 6-7 :B
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
OBXcamper wrote:
I use one of these, it's also a good way to test the smoke alarm. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I usually use one of those, or more often than not, I just start the generator to use during the making of breakfast, and shut it down when there's no more electrical need.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL