cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do you know when gray/black tank if full ?

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
I am restoring a vintage TC which currently only has a black tank. It's been 30 years since I was last involved with RV's so memory is a little fuzzy. I'm guessing you can tell if the black tank is full just from looking down the open ball in the toilet and viewing the contents is that correct ? I am going to add a grey water tank and it seems like many folks state the electric sensors/gauges for showing tank levels don't work or are not accurate. So assuming no electronics are involved how do you know when the grey tank is full ? Is it just that water stops flowing down the drain ? I know these seem like stupid questions but I need to know. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
In my lance 980 the dry shower has about a 6 inch curb ( or should I say a little baby tub). I ran the water just to test it out and it runs for a several more gallons after the full light comes on the monitor before it comes up the shower, like the others said and sense it is a dry shower that doesn't bother me much at all.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

thetroutman4
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, shower drain is the final 'clue'. We, too, have a new bath rug in our wet bath AF after last trip. HA!

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
rfuerst911sc wrote:
I am restoring a vintage TC which currently only has a black tank. It's been 30 years since I was last involved with RV's so memory is a little fuzzy. I'm guessing you can tell if the black tank is full just from looking down the open ball in the toilet and viewing the contents is that correct ? I am going to add a grey water tank and it seems like many folks state the electric sensors/gauges for showing tank levels don't work or are not accurate. So assuming no electronics are involved how do you know when the grey tank is full ? Is it just that water stops flowing down the drain ? I know these seem like stupid questions but I need to know. Thanks

You will be able to see the surface of the waste by looking down through the commode. since you only have one tank that will do it. Don't try one way vales... they'll give you problems... like black smelly feet when they fail.

Keep a good flash light just for that purpose.

Also... look when the tank is empty... good time to hose it out to make sure there are no solides or scale visable... ifthe heets of scale from hard water (lime) they will appear brown againest any of the tank that you can see. If they break lose they can cover your discharge pipe and keep your tank from emptying the solids.

A solution to the scale... with an EMPTY tank add a half gallon of cheap vinigar and fill with water... let it sit for a few days... then empty and rinse.

Use good toilet chemicals (I prefer oderless which is made with calcium nitrate) walmart has them as well as many others.

Do not use downey or other clothes sofner... you eventually be paying the proses to fix your system... people that tell you to are just dummy cheap wads. (that is as polite as I can say what they really are.)
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Im not sure one-way valve, would it add restriction enough shower not drain freely? If it could seal against water entering shower & tank filled would that mean piping up to sink height full of water? Gross or as inconviant as it may be think Id rather it came up in shower? Weve never done that in camper did on our old MH couple of times.
Our tank monitors have always worked as far as reading level-though often can read having more than what we actuall have but have never read less. Or they wont go back to zero when emptied. Usually a good rinse solves-
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking that when I have a grey water tank made during installation I would add a one way valve, to stop water from coming up in the shower. Should I not install a one way so I can use the shower drain as an indicator ?

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are accurate sensor kits you can buy that use external sensors (and capacitance) which are much better than the ones the camper manufacturers provide. Look for them at RV supply places like camping world. See Level is one company making the sensors.

I would like to know how much weight I have in the holding tanks as well as the remaining capacity and with the Lance setup I know when the tanks are full and I know when they are empty but in between it is a WAG.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
In my TT the lowest trap is the one in the shower so as others have mentioned you'll see the water coming up through the trap in the shower.

insp1505
Explorer
Explorer
When my 25 gallon fresh tank is empty I know my 24 gallon grey tank must be pretty close to being full and because some of the fresh water went into the black tank I don't have to worry about overflowing the grey tank. My sensors seem surprisingly accurate for now. We'll see how it goes as they age though.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think you can add a stick on sending unit and gauge.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:
On my Lance when the gray is full it will come up through the trap in the shower.

X5

and we really kick ourselfs. Actually me:o as I'm the one that is supposed to monitor that and it's not fun because we keep a rug on the floor in there. The electronic moniter is not very good and I guess I'm not either.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:
On my Lance when the gray is full it will come up through the trap in the shower.

X4
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:

X3.

When I had a gray water tank built for my C-11 Avion I calculated how many gallons it held and I keep an eye on my fresh water tank. You will have an idea on how much fresh water that you have used and where it went. My gray water tank was a custom tank and I never considered putting in an electronic level gage. It most certainly will show in the shower first, but I've never had that happen yet.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

blangen
Explorer
Explorer
On the black tank, maybe even before looking down the hole and seeing, you will notice it venting air up through the toilet ("burping")when open because the vent is blocked.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
narcodog wrote:

X2
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride