cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to keep dogs from under it?

CallMeChris
Explorer
Explorer
So I pulled my camper into the back yard to store it for a month and I crawled under it to look and see what I would need to puppy proof....and it's not possible. There are wires and hoses dangling everywhere.

What have you done to keep dogs from under your trailer? I ended up running and picking up some 2' tall wire and a bunch of short t posts...planning on building a short barrier around the trailer. Any better ideas out there so I don't kill the dogs when I get home next month?
37 REPLIES 37

Steve_83406
Explorer
Explorer
The image shown is verifiably correct. Chicken wire? That might last 15-30 seconds with a determined border collie. Suggest bundling wires and covering them with wire looms and tie them up to the frame so there are no dangling, attractive nuisances. Fencing off the trailer by 3-4 feet (not just the underside) will help, and train the dog that area is off limits. You might also consider an invisible fence around the trailer, but that gets a bit more expensive. Best of luck!
Steve

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Scent mark by peeing all around your trailer. Let those dogs know that turf belongs to the alpha!

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
A motion alarm from Home Depot should do the trick.

Bill57
Explorer
Explorer
We've had good success with moth balls sprinkled under the trailer. There small, will last for awhile in the weather and work well.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose you could train the dogs.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CallMeChris wrote:
This is in my fenced in back yard.

Chicken wire may be the easiest thing for you.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CallMeChris
Explorer
Explorer
This is in my fenced in back yard.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Restrain the dogs, most jurisdictions require animals to be leashed or fenced.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

CallMeChris
Explorer
Explorer
They aren't really dangling so much as easy to see and get to, especially all the wires going to the holding tanks. The low point drains hang down in plain view. We have 3 dogs, 2 of which are English mastiffs one of which is a year old and still a puppy and not out of his chewing phase. I've had to replace the wires on my boat trailer and replace the plug on the campers power cord already. I'd rather not get home and find all my drain plugs and holding tank wires chewed off. Lol it has the plastic under the main camper part, but not below the holding tanks.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
Vulcanmars wrote:
12g,

what on earth is 12 g?

For folks that don't understand shotguns. That is a 12 gage shotgun. Make a pretty BIG impression on what ever you point it at. Shoot many different types of shells, From rock salt, bird shot, and of course slugs. It will stop just about every thing you want it to.

Oh And. Just so you will know. Many of the 12g shotguns. Kick like a mule.
Most folks have never been kicked by a mule, so they still wouldn't know how hard a 12g kicks. I can tell you from experience, even with the heaviest load, it doesn't kick nearly as hard as a mule!

Anyone who would us a gun to shoot a dog other than in defense from a vicious attack is an extremely cruel person.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
This may not work at all, it's just something that slipped into the brain. Get a big jar of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it around? May work between rain showers.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Hanging wires might be a reference to the wires for the brakes. Hoses could be the low point drains. All the rest of my wiring is secured up and out of the way but both of those earlier mentioned items aren't covered up by the black under-covering on mine so I could see the concern if he had puppies that chew. The chicken wire perimeter is probably your best bet to keep the larger animals out. It probably won't stop squirrels and certainly not mice.
I love me some land yachting

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Radios placed where rain can't reach it tuned to the local head banger music works well with skunks/dogs/cats/pigeons/starlings/etc and other domestic and wild pests.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sealed under bellies are not standard on many models. A lab or golden puppy can eat a deck in 15 minutes so a TT is no problem.
There are sprays available to accomplish this goal, one I found at WM I used to stop the bird nests.
Puma 30RKSS

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Electric fence. They will get into it once, and then you can unplug it and they want get near it ever again. And there is no permanent damage