cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Huge Storm coming... TC open to the elements

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I am literally just one coat of paint away from putting on the outer aluminum skin back on my 76 Amerigo. Needless to say she is sitting outside (has been all winter) open to the elements. So far no problem. We have her close to a building and tarped, however we are expected to get over a foot of snow on Sunday. Will the roof hold? Should I shovel as it accumulates? I know there isn't too much strength in the "actual" skin, but I am just nervous. Way too much time and $ already invested into this TC.
17 REPLIES 17

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
yes a leaf blower will blow light dry snow but it doesn't work very well. If your getting heavy wet snow it won't, I wouldn't recommend it though for any snow. A roof rake or something like my husband got that dealerships use on cars. Its like a small roof rake of Styrofoam. Fix an extended handle to it and no scratches.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get a sheet of plywood on top to make it more flat and then put the tarp or plastic on , it will make it easier to rake off . A foot of wet snow is equal to 2 or 3 feet of dry snow .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Will a leaf blowers blow the snow off before it gets to deep? We never get snow so its probably a dumb question? Seams like if wasn't to wet you could blow it off.
Gary

1971amerigo
Explorer
Explorer
Truckster
I have been up on the roof of my Amerigo several times.
I don't believe you have to worry about a foot of snow.

Bob W.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I would do all the suggestions above and resign yourself to be on snow patrol. If you don't have one, by all means get a roof rake before the snow hits and keep your 8 foot step ladder ready to pull the snow off. Be sure to have the legs extended toward the pull.
Kind of like this: (only without the walls to support the snow load)
The black plastic covered handle comes in 3 pieces and extends to 21 feet. The black plastic/metal dozer blade pulls the snow off toward you.

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
If there were some way you could heat a tarp or whatever that was covering the roof, I wonder if that would be able to melt the snow as it fell, causing it never to accumulate. Might be dangerous though (I have this vision of a electric blanket under a tarp lol).

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
It was from a few months ago... The back end is re-built and snap n nap ready to be put back on. (adds a lot of weight) That fiberglass roof and front cab over weigh a ton (figuratively speaking that is) And it is actually bracketed down to the 4x4 base it is sitting on. No wind damage worries... Just heavy snow worries. LOL

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
skipro3 wrote:
i'd worry that a good gust of wind would catch under that roof and flip that thing!

I don't think the camper is in that state anymore. OP stated he was one coat of paint from installing the siding. That picture is more than one coat of paint from installing siding.

I believe that was a picture from some time ago.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
i'd worry that a good gust of wind would catch under that roof and flip that thing!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would add some internal support to make sure the roof won't collapse and tarp it to keep the snow out. 2x4s and tarps are relatively cheap.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
True, the tube supported canopy would collapse before even 8" of wet heavy snow was on top.

The 2X4's are the way to go (several of them) with one or two layers of slippery surface plastic tarp over the roof and the sides. It helps make the snow slide off thus lowering the actual weight on the roof. If wind is coming also, do screw the top and bottom of the 2X4 down so the roof doesn't flop around or get ripped off. Easy to back the screws out to remove the 2X4's but not easy to replace the roof!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah, those shelters are WORTHLESS for any amount of snow.

They will collapse and cause more damage than could possibly happen just leaving the camper exposed.

I would just make sure the tarps are secure, and figure on shoveling once or twice during the storm.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
They make these portable covers that are pretty simple using regular tarps.

Our local swiming pool here uses several of these around the pool for picnic tables under them..

I don't think they are expensive... All made of aluminum poles - might be steel poles... never looked that close...

Might give some ideas at any rate...

Roy ken

I think the OP is talking about the 12+ inches of wet heavy snow that our area may be getting.

I don't think the portable covers you are talking about will support much weight

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make these portable covers that are pretty simple using regular tarps.

Our local swiming pool here uses several of these around the pool for picnic tables under them..

I don't think they are expensive... All made of aluminum poles - might be steel poles... never looked that close...

Might give some ideas at any rate...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS