cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I guess I will be driving a new Ford tomorrow

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.
75 REPLIES 75

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck. At least this didn't happen at the start of camping season!
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't happen to just get fuel did you? When I told my apprentice to gas up my Cummins, he did just that, and about 3 miles down the road the knock started....
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Just read about a guy on a boating forum that blew up his 2017 F-350 PS. According to the posts, Ford hasn't determined yet what the cause was.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Our company F350 with the 6.7 dropped 3 glow plugs into the motor and it was toast. Ford dealer took a month to replace the motor. Good luck.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If they are unable to get you a loaner vehicle, call a local Enterprise Rent A Car, and tell then your vehicle is in for service, and they will usually give you a significant discount.

Good luck with the truck. Hopefully it is something simple.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
keymastr wrote:
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.

Newer engines could be as simple as a bad sensor. You don't state in your profile or signature if you have a gas or a 6.7 diesel.

I think loaner depends on the dealer, when DW took her 2012 Chevy Equinox in for engine service under warranty the dealer lent her a 2017 Equinox.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me, blowing up a motor is putting a hole in the block from a rod that let go. Sounds to me like a cam issue. Motors are complex and sometimes they fail. After all, it was assembled by a human and humans make mistakes.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call ahead of time and request a loaner. If you need a truck, let them know. Getting in early might help as well. Iโ€™ve had my Explorer in multiple times and my Ford dealer has been great.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a gas or diesel engine?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to update us, on how things went at dealer
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope they get you back on the road quickly and with no hassles. First I've read of this type of issue with the Ford 6.7L diesel.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about the break down. I have not heard many issues with the Ford 6.7, so it's new to me. U got a good truck, hopefully they will replace the engine without an argument. stick to your guns on this, they may try to blame you on anything that they can find. Keep us updated, I'm curious because we run the 6.7 at work and they get run hard without any problems. Good luck, again sorry to hear.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
Nah, just hoping for a loaner while they fix mine.

Don't get your hopes too high. Several years ago I bought a Camry and when it went in for servicing the Toyota dealer had a fleet of Chevy Cavalier's for 'courtesy cars.'

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about this. Hope your local dealer is good and takes care of you. Not sure they will have any loaner f250s? That might be tough. It stinks, but this stuff happens. Good luck.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Nah, just hoping for a loaner while they fix mine.