cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Increased payload

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
I know that modifications don't legally change any of the vehicle's official ratings or capacities, but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs? The F250 springs are rated at 3,000 lbs.
25 REPLIES 25

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to legally increase the payload of the Excusion. Simply take weight out of it. For every pound you remove you get a pound more payload. See wasn't that easy?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemling wrote:
Stock tires and axle as a F250 super duty. My understanding is the weak link on Excursions was the springs, as the rest of the suspension was F250 super duty.

You would be correct, although your question will turn into a dozen rvnet weight cops who've never popped a hood on the truck you're talking about suggesting or telling you ridiculous things.
You'd be best off PMing someone like Bedlam who has some real world ford experience, or asking your question on a truck forum where the members are a little less self righteous.
(Oh and yes, some heavier springs would work quite well in your application)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Hemling wrote:
I know that modifications don't legally change any of the vehicle's official ratings or capacities, but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs? The F250 springs are rated at 3,000 lbs.

Well ...actually Ford F250 use a 4 and 5 pack rear spring rated at 6100 lbs. If the F250 has the camper/heavy service package its the same spring capacity as the F350 srw at 7000 lbs.

I would ask that question at a local Ford truck salvage or a long time Ford truck dealer near you.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious why you wouldn't use airbags or Timbrens instead? Keep the softer ride when you don't need the extra payload.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bedlam
The same power train is used in the F250 and F350. Swap out to F350 suspension components and wheels to get the same performance as a 2004 F350 even if your tag does not reflect it. In 2005 the F-series got suspension, brake and frame upgrades that were not applied to last model year of the Excursion.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Take your truck to a licensed upfitter shop and have the suspension upgraded and recertified.
Yes, there are such shops, and they can legally recertify a truck after they modify it.
However, if you are only interested in the legality of a suspension upgrade, just go ahead and do it, and upgrade the tires, then re-register the truck to the GVW (not GVWR, you are not buying a "Rating", you are buying a weight limit) you want. In many states, that is all you have to do to be legal, because the manufacturers recommendations and ratings have no legal force.
I had my old 1994 Dodge one ton dually registered at 14,000 GVW. I was certain I would never exceed that weight. It had heavy duty overload springs on it, and Load Range E tires.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
The only modification that can legally change your payload is to register your truck at a higher GVWR. The number on your tire load and inflation sicker is NOT legally binding. The weight you register your truck for is.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Hemling wrote:
but what would be the real-world payload difference in switching stock Excursion rear springs with F250 springs?

Changing the springs does not change the anything.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The springs are not the only component that determines payload. There is no simple answer to your question.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Stock tires and axle as a F250 super duty. My understanding is the weak link on Excursions was the springs, as the rest of the suspension was F250 super duty.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you increase the springs, what are your tires and axle rated at?

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)