cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Air Bags

Surveyor_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a heavier trailer that gives my truck a slight sag on the rear. Has anyone purchased an air bag kit and installed themselves? What's the difficulty and what brand or company would you recommend to purchase from?
As mentioned above, I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, short box, 4x4, with the 6.7L diesel.

Thanks, Michael
10 REPLIES 10

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2008 Ram 2500 CTD, but mine is SB and 4X2. I installed the Firestone Ride Rites a couple of months ago. It was strictly bolt on and went on great with one minor problem. I don't know if the U bolts of the springs were slightly bent after 103K miles or what, but I needed to Dremel about 1/32nd of an inch off the bracket that goes behind the U bolt to get it to fit behind the U bolt. I think the 4X4 has more room and this might not be an issue for you. In my truck there was a perfect place to attach air hose right above the center of each rear wheel. It was painted and ready. Only needed to run about a foot or so of air hose from air bag. It's not a hard thing to install and I would think you would have more room under the 4X4 than I had. Good luck. Keith

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a ride rite kit on a Tundra...wasn't bad, took a couple of hours. Search for an install video for your truck and see if it's something you think you can handle. I watched the video and followed the same procedure for the kit I used. I'd say anyone with mechanical inclination could install the kit.

I'd say find a few kits you're interested in, watch the install videos and find the one that you think is the easiest if you want to do it yourself.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Airlift and FS double bellows 5k lb kits and both were great. I would shop price and the accessories. You can also mix bag brands and the air accessories so you can have the best for the whole package. I have seen a 5k lb kit that was single bellows but I'd rather have double. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Air Lift is my choice. I have used them on my last three Rams. The one listed in my sig I installed a compressor. They improve ride quality and eliminate sag. The bags are no drill. You will need to drill to mount compressor. They do not increase your weight caring capacity.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Ryan_Elli1
Explorer
Explorer
Installed on my 03 Chevy HD and on a buddy's 09 Ram 3500 SRW. Both sets were Airlift and straight bolt on kits. The only drilling is for the air noodles to fill the bags. For the $300 price tag (per Amazon) they are worth it in my opinion. Expect a few hours to do the job in the driveway with floor jack.
2014 Cougar 29RBS(Kizzy)
2015 F250 FX4 6.2
Ryan, Elli, and kids
with Holly the Mini Schnauzer

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Surveyor Camper wrote:
Recently purchased a heavier trailer that gives my truck a slight sag on the rear. Has anyone purchased an air bag kit and installed themselves? What's the difficulty and what brand or company would you recommend to purchase from?
As mentioned above, I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, short box, 4x4, with the 6.7L diesel.

Thanks, Michael

Is your new trailer a Travel Trailer? Certainly not wanting to deter you from adding bags but a properly setup WDH should not result in any real sag in your trucks rear.

Have you spent anytime readjusting your hitch since you purchased your new trailer? Might have to either change the angle of your ball head or move up a link or two on your bars.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Timbren
Bill and Joey the dog

Big_Dog2
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Air Lift bags (http://www.airliftcompany.com/) several years ago on a 2006 3500 Dodge Mega. The parts were all year and brand specific so everything fit properly with no drilling required.

I spent more time contemplating where/how to run the air hoses than I did installing everything. I installed the on board compressor under the front passenger seat and ran the hose out through a plastic plug in the firewall, near the brake pedal. I also installed a schrader valve on the hose under the hood in order to pressurize the air bags if the compressor failed. I have been using this system for approximately five years without any issue of any kind.

I would not hesitate to install these air bags myself again. I am sure others will chime in with other brand name air bags that would be just as easy to install, as long as they are year and brand specific for your truck.
I am living proof that you are never too old to do something foolish.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed Firestone Riderite air bags on MHs and PUs. Some install with no drilling. Some you have to drill holes. Not a big project for a PU. If you have to drill removing rear wheel makes it go faster. Put blocks under for safety.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please read rule number 2. Duplicate posts are not allowed.