cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it just me, or is something wrong with my truck?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I had a 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine and a little 19ft TT rig. I was a good combo, but when I decided to get a bigger TT I wanted to get something a little beefier, so I traded my 1500 in on a 2011 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I also sold off my TT, but ended up not being able to find the TT I wanted locally, so I got a small 16 foot Jayco to use until I find what I want.

So today, I towed this little trailer with my new (to me) 2500HD. Is it just me, or this truck really lacking power? I thought it would be towing this tiny TT without problem, but I swear that my 1500 could have run circles around this 2500HD towing my old 19ft TT which was bigger and weighed 1500lb more this this Jayco.

Is something wrong with my truck, or are these 2011 models of the Silverado 2500, really lacking power?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
85 REPLIES 85

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Gas mileage is not a function of weight you're pulling but of the size of the sail you are pulling behind you. 10MPG with your 1500 is extremely good, and I would say, difficult to duplicate. I had a Sierra 1500 that struggled to get 9.x MPG. Your 2500 getting 9 sounds about right for a gasser.

Can't comment on what you're feeling torque wise, since I never had a 3/4 ton gasser, but if you can't get up to 65MPH on an on ramp, either something is wrong, or you're not driving it right.

Mike

Weight does a make a difference when driving and especially in the mountains. I agree that the sail effect is huge also. But there is going to be times when the lower gear ratio is going to get better mpg than higher. JMHO

I actually got some of my best mileage towing through hilly country. Granted not the Rocky Mountains, but the Blue Ridge Mountain area (aka hills), I got just over 11 MPG whenever I went up there with my 1500 and my first trailer. Granted, going up was low, but going down more than made up for it.

Regardless, I think 9mpg is pretty average for a gasser, and if he got 10+ with his 1500 that was pretty dang good.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski gets it and knows what it really takes except for one correction:

HP turns no wheels even to one RPM as it is only theoretical. Torque and only torque turns the wheels! It's only the adequate twisting force (torque) at the drive wheel/wheels that turns the drive wheel/wheels fast enough (RPMs) to achieve the velocity of 60 MPH or even .1 MPH.

The formula for HP is: Torque X RPM divided by 5252 = HP. Thus, the word HP is a theoretical calculated value, not a measureable value but a calculated derivative and is only creatable by the actual measured torque and the measured RPM's used and achieved! Theoretical because the power of an actual number of individual horse's will vary greatly which results in infinitely variable values due to a horses size and ability of any given horses measured. Thus, the HP measurement is not a true constant repeatable measurement required for National Standards of repeatable documented factual values for the word "Horsepower". Horse's pulling power is/was only a theoretical value given but will vary greatly in actual real life, testing repeatability, and numerical values achieved.

Both, the actual measured torque and the actual measured RPMs achieved by the torque's ability to turn the drive wheel/wheels to the desired RPM's (velocity) is what must occur and be present!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
As for the MPG vs 5.3L, your 2500 weighs 1,000 pounds more than your 1500 and the engine is slightly bigger along with the rear gears being different. You will get less MPG with the 6.0L. So yes, perfectly normal.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

blt2ski
Some HP needed numbers I figure out a few years back.

at 15K gcw, one needs about 100-150 hp to go 60 mph down the freeway on a level. Specifically 115 if you have 70 sqft of frontal area, and 135 if you have 90 sq ft. These numbers can vary as high as 30% depending upon the aerodynamics of the unit, along with tire type, tread etc.
Change the wt to 25K, and 70 sq ft, you need the same 135hp as the 15K 90 sw ft setup!
Going up hills, to hold that 60 mph, one needs and additional 40-45hp per percent slope.
So to pull a 6% grade, you need not only the 100-150 hp mentioned for the level. But an additional 240-270 hp to pull the grade. So 340-420hp. As much or more than most of us have. Reality is, on the steeper interstate 5-8% grade, holding 60 which is typical over 10K/pulling a trailer speed limit, you will probably be going less than 60. not by much if geared correctly, but still slower.
I also used to get better mileage pulling my equipment trailer which was around 18K total and 70 sw ft, vs the travel trailer at 15K/90 sq ft. Pulled my ET with a mini trackhoe at 15K to eastern Washington, pulled the grades over I90 snoqualmie usually a gear tall and 5-7 mph faster due to lower wind resistance. Not to mention 1.5 mpg better!
TO say weight is an issue is true, but as noted, aerodynamics can be a bigger factor, NOT taken into account by most tow ratings. Or people on here.
As far as OP goes, I' guessing something is not operating as it should. I can accelerate as well or better than you with my C2500 4.10's and a 4L80E 4 spd trans and a 255HP vortec 350. Granted my truck weighs 4800 lbs out the factory door. But I did get an 18K load going up a 2-3% grade from a stop to 45 in the gear below direct at 45mph or so. about 4000 rpm. Took half a mile......not sure to many of us would be doing that much better..........

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
jfritz_drfritz wrote:
Maybe check used car lots to find a similar truck and give it a test drive or maybe rent a similiarly configured truck to see how it pulls
This is what I was thinking too. It would give you something more concrete to base your impressions. It might be worth taking it to an independent mechanic with the right tools for an evaluation. I think I remember you mentioning it's a 2011. I would be all over changing air and fuel filters and a complete tune up.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe check used car lots to find a similar truck and give it a test drive or maybe rent a similiarly configured truck to see how it pulls

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Gas mileage is not a function of weight you're pulling but of the size of the sail you are pulling behind you. 10MPG with your 1500 is extremely good, and I would say, difficult to duplicate. I had a Sierra 1500 that struggled to get 9.x MPG. Your 2500 getting 9 sounds about right for a gasser.

Can't comment on what you're feeling torque wise, since I never had a 3/4 ton gasser, but if you can't get up to 65MPH on an on ramp, either something is wrong, or you're not driving it right.

Mike

Weight does a make a difference when driving and especially in the mountains. I agree that the sail effect is huge also. But there is going to be times when the lower gear ratio is going to get better mpg than higher. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

DBH_MI
Explorer
Explorer
My previous truck was a 2014 Silverado 1500 Max Tow and I got between 9 and 10.5 towing. The same trailer on the 2016 Dually gets 7.5 to 9, (although the dually only has 3k miles on it at this point) and I attribute most of that difference to the more efficient DI engine in the 1500 and the aerodynamics of the trucks. I think the fuel starvation observation is a good place to start with a new fuel filter, although I have seen the fuel pump pickup "sock" get gunked up too from crud that got into the fuel tank.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many miles on the truck?

It sounds like the engine is starving for fuel! Either it has a bad fuel pump or more likely a very dirty fuel filter. Your issue sounds very much like a fuel supply problem.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Jungle these are such small trailers I can see you getting better mileage and perceived better performance with the 2007. You should try the same test using a 8 or 9 k trailer. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two other 2500HD's with the 6.0 before my current 2015 GMC. A 2013 WT model extended cab 4x4, 3:73 rear 8' bed purchased new and a 2007 reg cab 4x4, 3:73, 8'bed. My 2015 has the 4:10 gear.

I have not had any issues with any of them getting up to speed at on ramps. I also frequent a 4-1/2 mile long grade here in SW PA on a 2 lane state highway which varies between 8 and 10%. I have no problem maintaining 65 mph up that grade and have been slowed to a crawl by tri axles going up numerous times, having to pull out and pass. In that situation I have no issue getting back up to speed either. That is pulling a 23' Roo that weighs over 6K, the truck always has 2 rows of firewood stacked as high as the cap, a canoe on the roof, 2 or 3 full coolers, and lots of other gear.

Something is wrong with your 2011 or you're simply not driving it right. 9.1 mpg is normal towing. I only get that on the flat and if staying around 60 mph. Any faster hits the mpg hard. I usually average about 7 to 8 towing in the hills and mountains here.

It sounds like you're looking for the performance of an oil burner. Since you appear to have purchased it used, how many miles are on the ticker, hours on the engine? Around here a lot of highway construction companies lease the WT level trim models of the 2500HD. When they turn those in most go to auction but if they are low mileage and look good, they sometimes go on the used lot. You have to be careful, I have seen some that have less than 20K on the mileage but 5K+ on the engine hours because they spent 3 years idling all day long, then were turned in when the 36 month lease expired.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, here are some real numbers for you guys to look at and you can tell me if you think everything is normal or is something wrong.

In August of 2014, I drove approximately this same route with my old truck and trailer rig. I track all my fuel expenses and mileage religiously with the aCar android app. After getting set up for the night here in Captain, New Mexico, I went back through my records and looked up the gas mileage I got with my 1500 back in 2014 and compared them with what I got today driving the same route with this 2500HD and trailer rig. I am not happy at all. Let me explain why.

Here are the exact specs of my old rig.

2007 Silverado 1500 LT2 Crew Cab 2WD
Engine: 5.3L V8
Trans: 4L60E 4 speed.
Diff: 3.23

Travel Trailer specs

2005 Kodiak 19FL
Unload Vehicle Weight: 3780 pounds

Here are the specs of my new rig.

2011 Silverado 2500HD WT Crew Cab 4x4
Engine: 6.0L V8
Trans: 6 Speed
Diff: 3.73

Travel Trailer Spec

2013 Jayco Swift SLX 184BH
Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 2740 pounds

So in 2014 I was pulling a much heavier Trailer, with a smaller engine and much higher gear ratio rear end. In reality, I had a lot more stuff packed in the Kodiak and the fresh water tank was full because I was planning on boondocking in the Lincoln National Forest, but let's just assume for the sake of argument that both trailer were equally packed, making the Kodiak, 1040 pounds heavier then the Jayco I pulled today.

So, given the above data, which vehicle would you expect to have the best fuel economy?

Well, after crunching the numbers from 2014 I found that my average fuel economy over the same stretch of road was......... 10.2 Miles Per Gallon in the 1500.

After crunching the numbers for the same stretch today, guess what my 2500HD got, pulling a much lighter load? Are you ready for this. 9.1 miles per gallon.

Now, I knew that this 2500HD would have worse fuel economy while empty then my 1500 that got 21 mpg, but I expected to at least get better mpg while pulling. I am willing to trade mpg for power, but it appears that I am getting neither mpg or power out of this 2500HD.

So you guys tell me. Do these numbers sound normal to you guys that pull with the 2500HD. Is this comparable to the mpg you get while pulling a 3000 Lb load? Because, I am wondering if there is something wrong here.
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
How much more does your new truck weigh than your old one?
Camp Host, from the other side.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
DBH_MI wrote:
I have a 2016 1 ton dually with the 6 liter that weighs 7500 lbs pulling a trailer that weighs 8000 lbs and I have no problem getting to at least 65 mph by the time I hit the end of the entrance ramp.

Right! I have a 2500 and am pulling around 7k TT and have no issues getting up to speed.

Pulling my 19' boat the other day was even more of a breeze!

So OP, something isn't right with your setup. Trailer brakes dragging?
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10