cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it just me, or is something wrong with my truck?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
So I had a 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3L engine and a little 19ft TT rig. I was a good combo, but when I decided to get a bigger TT I wanted to get something a little beefier, so I traded my 1500 in on a 2011 Silverado 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I also sold off my TT, but ended up not being able to find the TT I wanted locally, so I got a small 16 foot Jayco to use until I find what I want.

So today, I towed this little trailer with my new (to me) 2500HD. Is it just me, or this truck really lacking power? I thought it would be towing this tiny TT without problem, but I swear that my 1500 could have run circles around this 2500HD towing my old 19ft TT which was bigger and weighed 1500lb more this this Jayco.

Is something wrong with my truck, or are these 2011 models of the Silverado 2500, really lacking power?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
85 REPLIES 85

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
One way to test for an exhaust restriction is with a vacuum gauge. In the carburetor days, it really showed up with this method and it still is a valid test with fuel injection. Here is a video: Test

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely will keep updating this thread. What you are getting out of yours, is exactly what I was expecting out of my truck, if pulling my desired TT, and I would be totally happy with. My current concern is only that I am getting that kind of performance while pulling a 2600lb TT that is shorter and only 7 foot wide (vs the standard 8 foot wide). So not only will my desired TT be 3Xs heavier then my current TT, but it will also be taller and wider then this one, providing much more wind drag. So, I expect that I would be seeing 6 mpg at best with my truck in its current condition when I get my new TT.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
That 6.0 will run flawless another 100k without any issues for sure. Yep keep us in the loop on what you find. I'm sure it will help others if they run into the same problems. I have seen 7mpgs on mine during a really bad headwind and side winds during some storms. That's pulling 10k but always felt stable!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
My truck now has 161K. Had 157K when I bought it in June. The motor sounds great and runs smooth as butter. At no point have I heard a knock or lifter noise this whole trip, even pulling steep grades. There is no question that my current TT has the aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood, but this is not much a factor when pulling a steep grade at at 30 mph and that is where this truck shows it's real lack of guts.

This whole trip I have been monitoring the engine with a bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque Android app. It monitors hundreds of different aspects. It has not recorded a single misfire this whole trip.

It has an instant mpg guage that shows real time mpg ratings. Obviously, it is an ecu calculation and is not perfectly accurate, but it is in the ball park and shows fuels usage under different contitions. One area I could see real effects to fuel usage was wind drag. Normally it would be showing between 8 to 10 mpg on flat ground, but when an 18 wheeler would pass me going the opposite direction, the wind blast off it would drop my mpg down to 4 or 5 for a few seconds, which is about the same as it would report when pulling a 6% grade. Based on these observations, I would think that if I were pulling this TT into a 30 mph head wind all day, I would expect 6 mpg or less.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Here is some food for thought, not saying it pertains. Prior to me buying a Nissan Titan in late 2008 I read a truck comparison in a car magazine. The Chevy had a larger motor than the 5.6 Nissan with more horsepower and torque. On paper it should have outrun the Nissan handily but the Titan smoked the Chevy by 2 seconds in 0 to 60 times. This was addressed in a sidebar and it turned out that Chevy limited available power unless the accelerator was floored for a specific period of time. The excuse of liability was given. The magazine alluded that this was probably unsafe especially in passing maneuvers.

Possibly your truck is stuck in the low power mode and a re-flash or tune might be appropriate. I think the power is there you are just being denied it.

Yes I do recall that comparison, that's what TQ managent does best. I even recall that there is a 4 sec delay upon pedal to the floor and complete power. This is to keep the driveline from the intail shock of full power. The GM 6.0 is really detuned from the factory. I really can attest to this. The reason is for longer duty cycle use. I have seen several 6,0 that have really putting out high HP and TQ numbers with simple mods. I'm sure both the Ford and dodge can do the same. Good point u brought out.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Here is some food for thought, not saying it pertains. Prior to me buying a Nissan Titan in late 2008 I read a truck comparison in a car magazine. The Chevy had a larger motor than the 5.6 Nissan with more horsepower and torque. On paper it should have outrun the Nissan handily but the Titan smoked the Chevy by 2 seconds in 0 to 60 times. This was addressed in a sidebar and it turned out that Chevy limited available power unless the accelerator was floored for a specific period of time. The excuse of liability was given. The magazine alluded that this was probably unsafe especially in passing maneuvers.

Possibly your truck is stuck in the low power mode and a re-flash or tune might be appropriate. I think the power is there you are just being denied it.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
It will give you a different way of using the power via more leverage. I have the 3.73 on my truck and have been good with it. The new version of our trucks come with the 4.10 standard now. 3.73 in our current trucks is like the older 6.0 with the 4.10 gear set. On taking your truck to your mechanic, hopefully he will find the issue. It should not be that much to fix. Since its computer controlled, TQ management is used and will limit you in throttle power. But after reading your post, it should not limit it as bad as your having issues. That's why I can't ffigure out why the struggle pulling that little of wieght. I agree something is amiss in this truck, I know these trucks that's what I pull with and much more wieght. A diesel is over kill for your current application, and myself pulling 10k I really don't need one either. Another option for you to explore to a performance tune like I have. It limits the amount of TQ management and prevents the engine from always reducing the timing. I use black bear efi live tune and love it. 600.00 and a lifetime of tunes just made for my truc was money well spent for me. Stock this truck was great, and I still pulled the trailer that I have now. No issues but I hated the way the computer would limit the power band. Since the tune I stay in gear much longer on the hills, increased mpg on the 87-89 tune, and the truck feels really light on its feet now. Now if I use the 91-93 tune my mpgs all hand calculated really does not change. And no I don't drive it like a race car either.. Don't know why but I do know that my power has increased to the full ability of the stock configuration. On getting back to pulling up the hill. If I would start at the bottom of a hill in Georgia or Tennessee and go up a winding path road, then yes I'm not going 60 either. But that's because of the twist and turns as well. Overall though I can keep speed in second or 3rd gear and that's without my current tune. In your truck its goto be some thing simple I'm thinking. And if your going to keep that truck, which is a great financial decision the way it sounds like, then it's worth getting the tune and a gear change. The gear change will cost you lots more due to both axels. None the less it can be worth it. A tune will be icing on the cake. what are the miles on the truck? I wonder if anything was done maintainance wise prior your purchase.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
I will finally get home on the 30th, and this truck is going to see my mechanic first this to have a full checkup. If it checks out good, I will look at options to make it better. Bottom line, if I can make it better at a reasonable cost, it will stay. But I am not gonna spend 5k fixing this truck up to tow a little better. If have to spends thousands, I will just trade it in on a Duramax that I know will do the job. It will boil down to cost vs benefit.

The one thing I know that will help this truck is changing out to rear end. It has the 3.73 now. I did not know this when I bought it. I assumed that because it is a 4X4 Work Truck model, it would naturally come with the 4.10 rear end. Some have said that going to the 4.10 will not change the economy of the truck, but will give it more power. Can anyone comment on this.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:
I am not trying to talk myself into anything. I really love this truck. I have been on the road for almost a month and my wife has not once complained about being uncomfortable in this truck. That is a miracle. She hated my 07 1500 LT with leather seats.

Right now I am camped in Ruidoso, New Mexico next to a guy with a 2013 Silverado 1500 that is pulling a Jayco a littLe larger then mine. I talked with him yesterday. His TT has an unloaded weight of 3000lb vs mine that is 2600lb. He said his 1500 gets 11 to 12 mpg pulling his TT and does not struggle. His 1500 has a 5.3L V8, vs mine that has the the 6.0.

Coming into Ruidoso from the north on highway 48 there is a pretty good climb. I had start from a complete stop at the bottom of the hill and try to accelerate. The best I could do was 30 mph and I had her wound up to over 4000 rpm in 2nd gear. Had to have my flashers on the whole climb as people sped by me. If that is the best truck can do pulling this tiny TT, how will it do with 9 or 10K behind it?

Again, I am not trying to convince myself of anything, but numbers do not lie. My truck has a 36 gallon tank and I am hitting half a tank at 150 miles. The absolute best mileage I have gotten on this (Texas to California and back) trip was 12 mpg, but that was on the flat Mojave desert doing 55 mph with a tail wind. My average for this trip so far has been 9 mpg. That is just not acceptable to me, because it can can only get worse when I get a bigger TT and I am planning a 10K+ trip to northern Canada next year. So either this truck gets better, or it goes away. Those are the real numbers.

Sounds like your heading that way of getting another truck if you can't fix or figure out this one. All I can tell u is I have no problems pulling 10 k up a grade from a dead stop. I really don't know what would be causing your truck to not pull 3 k up a grade struggling. Just makes zero sense to me. So I suggest take it to you mechanic and trouble shoot it. I just know from experience that a gm 6.0 with the 6 speed auto pulls much better then your describing. You may just want to go get a diesel if that will work better for you, I don't know. Good luck keep us posted.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hard to diagnose over the web, but it does appear "off". I'd be happy to get 10mpg avg out of that combo, but wouldn't expect it to struggle that bad in the power department.
Otoh, I don't believe 12mpg towing a TT out of an old 4 speed pre mds 5.3 either.
Drove an 08 5.3 for a few months last year and guessing it was around 14mpg avg commuting miles. I can say I'm more of a gasser believer with the '16 5.3 I have now. It's knocking down an honest 17mpg commuting. It's within 1 mpg or so of my diesel. Impressive.

I think the exhaust noise is a clue for the OP. Cat converter failures don't seem to be common at all in the last couple decades. But if it's a part it can fail. Otherwise 6.0 HD Chevies are pretty bulletproof trucks, albeit not huge power houses. I'd be inclined to stick with the truck, thinking the issue is fixable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
He said 40 to fill... But I do agree with the rest of your comments. 9MPG average is about right for a gasser. But stuck in second gear and struggling up a hill with a 3000 lb TT doesn't sound right to me.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I think your expectations are a bit off the mark. You said your minivan cost $20 to fill and went 500 miles per tank which at $250 a gallon would be 8 gallons and 62 miles per gallon. That is a heck of a vehicle.

Frontal area, not weight or length, is what takes the power and fuel to move. There are plenty of threads on here about fuel mileage and almost every one of them ends up at an average of 9 miles per gallon regardless of the trailer or truck pulling it. Diesels get a few more.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the 11 mpg claim because that is what I got in my 07 1500 silverado with the same 5.3 engine and 3.23 diff, pulling my 2005 Kodiak 19FL that weighed 3600lb unloaded. I track my fuel usage with the Acar android app, which is based on mileage and fill up stats. According to my last month's stats (including 4 days of non-towing) I have traveled 3,834 miles in the last 25 days. My average MPG is 9.8. My total fuel cost has been $1'105, for an average cost of 29 cents a mile (fuel cost only).

This would be acceptable if I were pulling the RV I plan to get which has an unload weight of 7k. But not a 2600lb 16ft long 7 foot wide TT.

When I get home I will go my TV with a fine tooth comb to see if anything can be done. I cannot find anything wrong with it now. No error codes and all new filters. It purrs like a kitten and rides like a cloud. It is just guttless and get horrible gas mileage pulling a tiny TT. Right now it feels like I am pulling a 34 foot TT instead of a 16 foot. If I was pulling the TT I plan to get and was getting these stats, I would be happy, but not with this little thing.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked any filters yet. Maybe a code in the engine pertaining to the drive by wire system?
Anything?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing to remember is altitude.My 02 F-350 V-10 manual says for every 1000 ft. you climb you need to drop load by 2 percent.so at 4000 ft. you need to drop 8 percent of your load. I feel a big performance drop at higher altitudes. It runs great at 0-500 feet but when I get to my house at 2300 ft. I notice a drop in performance.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn