cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this TT too much for my '15 F150?

crimecrusher
Explorer
Explorer
I need to upgrade my TT to a larger one. I currently have a ’12 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL and am in the process of adopting two young kids. I want to get a bigger TT with bunkhouse. My tow vehicle is a 2015 F150 FX4 supercrew with max tow package and 3.5L Ecoboost. Looks like my tow capacity is around 11,700 and payload around 1600 pounds. Kind of hard to understand all the options and max capacity.

My short list of new TT’s includes the Prime Time Lacrosse 318BHS and others with a similar floorplan. Want 2 slides including a BH slide and aluminum frame. Also think I want a gelcoat front and something with a more aero front end.

The Lacrosse 318BHS is about 9700 pounds gross weight and listed at 8000 dry. I’ll run a good WDH, thinking of the 15000 pound Blue Ox.

Whatever TT I get, I will keep it under 10k pounds gross and wonder if this is too much for my TV. My truck is new and don’t want to take the hit to get a bigger truck. We travel about 7k miles a year and spend a month in Colorado every summer.
24 REPLIES 24

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO the bottom line is payload and how much YOU want to exceed manufacturer specs.

If you want "validation" that you can "tow it" with your current 1/2 ton, you will find folks who can help you rationalize that.

If you want ammunition to upgrade your truck, that info will be provided by others.

In the end, you are the one that has to decide what your comfort level is, and whether or not you feel safe enough to put you and your family in a zone that exceeds manufacturer specifications.

There are folks here that feel comfortable doing that, and for them, depending on their experience, where they go (mountains vs flat lands), it may work out fine for them. There are others (Im in this boat), who strive to stay within ALL vehicle ratings. With my trailer (6800 lbs loaded), I was within payload for my Sierra 1500 with me, my wife, and my 30lb dog. But, when I added grandkids, bikes and cooler in the back, I was over payload by roughly 100 lbs. I decided here recently to upgrade to 3/4 ton. Did I feel safe, even exceeding payload a little (but being wihin axle ratings).. yes, I was okay. But, I knew I was going to travel more, in mountains etc.. and did not want to worry about potential problems.

In the end, you are the only one who can answer this question. There is a certain amount of responsibility and liability that comes with your decision. In the end, if something bad happens, I don't think saying "The folks on RV.NET" said it would be okay, will make anyone feel better.

Here's a really good calculator on line that you can fill in the values with what you know, adjust for any safety factor you would like, and it will tell you the max trailer weight, and max tongue weight you should fit within.

Travel trailer weight calculator

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
A half ton truck should not pull a TT over 6000. pounds dry weight. Saying that plan on a bigger truck with the cargo load you will have beside the TT weight.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
crimecrusher wrote:
Whatever TT I get, I will keep it under 10k pounds gross and wonder if this is too much for my TV. My truck is new and don’t want to take the hit to get a bigger truck. We travel about 7k miles a year and spend a month in Colorado every summer.

I would not buy that truck for that trailer and would suggest a bigger truck. But that's spending your money.

I didn't trade my eco when I moved up and my trailer is about the same size/weight you're looking at. Others can argue the legalities. I have over 5,000 miles logged that says it can be done safely. I figure it'll get me by until I can upgrade to a one ton. Power and engine braking have not been an issue for me in Colorado or anywhere else. A trailer that size can wag your truck. Watch for strong cross winds. If you don't feel in complete control, slow down. My $.02.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not have good luck with my Flagstaff 8528RESS 5th wheel which was listed at 8800 lbs.

I could pull it just fine with my F150 SuperCab but coming down the mtns like found on I81 in Virginia was the killer for me... The F150 was not enough truck to be safe coming down the other side of the mountains...

Of course the salesman said I could pull this trailer with my F150 with no problems whatsoever...

You could also very easily get swamped out on two lanes roads like US82 outside of Crossett Arkansas meeting up with a loaded down Georgia Pacific log truck going 70MPH. The last thing you might remember is the truck driver with a big smile on his face haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
crimecrusher wrote:
Looks like my tow capacity is around 11,700 and payload around 1600 pounds.

The Lacrosse 318BHS is about 9700 pounds gross weight and listed at 8000 dry. I’ll run a good WDH, thinking of the 15000 pound Blue Ox.

9700 * 13% = 1261 tongue weight. 1261 + 1500 fr your WDH is 2761 lbs. Add in the weight of cargo and passengers. What is the capacity on the receiver? Your over payload just by hooking it up. Although
I can't imagine a WDH weighing so much - but?

Payload is usually exceeded before tow capacity which is a marketing gimmick.

Your payload is 1600 - can you see the problem here?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using a similar tow vehicle and towing about (5300 dry) 7k pounds loaded for a trip. My payload is 1800, the OP's is probably very close to that.

At 420 pounds of torque, power is a non issue at my weight, and I have no reason to believe any different at your proposed weight. You'll have to do the math against your payload, as others have said, that's where you'll pass your capability first. We are usually a hundred pounds over ours (been to a scale), and I'm okay with that.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMO too much trailer or not enough truck. Sure your current truck can probably pull that 11,700 just not in TT form because of the tongue wt. Something like a boat or open equip trailer with lighter tongue wts. are what that 11,700 is generally referring to not full profile high tongue wt. travel trailers. Your current trailer is probably maxing out your payload all ready and going bigger plus adding more cargo (i.e. passengers/gear) is going to only make things worse.

Sorry,

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes !!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

KeithR
Explorer
Explorer
Got to agree with Old Biscuit. Even if you don't max your payload, you will be very close to your Gcwr and your gas mileage will be horrible and the mountains are going to be a nightmare. Imho
Been there.
Test,test, is this thing on?

2016 Ram 3500 CC w/duallys, 6.7l Cummins 4x4
2015 Flagstaff 27RLWR

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Low Payload is what is going to hamper you

Take truck loaded up 'camp ready' (You, fuel, ALL Passengers, backpacks, stuff seats/in floorboards, stuff in bed of truck etc) and go to a Weigh Scale and get weighed.

Actual weight of camp ready truck subtracted for trucks GVWR will give you how much more weigh you can ADD to truck (tongue weight of trailer........10/15% of trailer GVWR)

Looks like you will run out of payload........
What payload is listed on the Tire and Loading Information Sticker (Yellow)
Your 2012 White Hawk has a GVWR of 7200# and probably is maxing out your payload

EX:2015 F150 Supercrew 3.5EB
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31