cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's official, I need a 4x4!

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks ago, I got the rig in my signature stuck in the mud. My wife's family home is several hundred acres in south Georgia on a red clay county maintained road. We have a full hookup site there. Their mile long driveway is gravel so it is fine, but the county road is trouble if a lot of rain comes. Over the years I have had to delay an arrival or departure, but this was the first time getting stuck.

This red clay is like grease. It is even hard to walk in without falling. You have to try and balance your vehicle exactly on the crown of the road and have your speed just right or you are in the ditch. The only good thing is that the ditches are not deep enough to overturn the trailer. I was on my way into the farm after traveling all day and it just slid to the right. The trailer wheels came to rest in the ditch where the red arrow is below. I thought I may have to spend the night with the rig on the road.

The trailer was resting on several tree limbs that would do a lot of damage when pulling it out, so those had to be cut first. I knew my tow service with standard tow trucks would be useless in this situation. A call to the family determined our best bet was to get one of my wife's cousins to pull us out. I was thinking maybe he would bring a large tractor, but the weapon of choice was a 5 ton surplus military vehicle that her cousin had converted to a water truck for his forestry business. It was raining hard during this whole episode and I did not get pictures of his vehicle, but it looked a lot like this one below. It had a cab over, Unimog look, and three axles. Just before he started to hook me up, he did some noisy shifting into a low low or multiple axle mode, I think all three axles were drive axles, I'm not sure. The tires were not like in this picture but were the traditional army agricultural looking tread.

This truck was amazing. We used a chain to my front frame hook loop closest to the ditch. It pulled my rig like it was a toy. This diesel truck was very loud and at one point I did not notice my truck had stalled (manual transmission) and it just drug my locked up rear dually wheels through the mud like nothing had happened. He had to tow me about 60 yards, through this stream and into the gravel driveway.

So, I'm thinking my next truck will be a 4x4 diesel dually crew cab. I have a lot to learn about it, for example, I understand duallys present some issues in sand and perhaps mud, they sell some spacers for this. Also, I noticed my highway tires were a joke in this environment. They were coated with a half inch of clay mud and had no traction. I will have to get an aggressive tread and forget about road noise, gas mileage and tire wear. It doesn't matter how much I save if I can't get where I'm going.

An issue 4x4 fifth wheel owners have often had in this forum is traveling with a nose high camper. I do a lot of one night stays and stay hooked up. To be level, my pin plate is 46" off the ground. Even with the 2wd I have and factory flipped axles I am a little nose high now. I have to solve this somehow. I have heard of flatbed solutions, but that kills all your bed storage. We have been conditioned to think of 4x4s as needing a lot of suspension travel, thus being set high. Extreme suspension travel is necessary if you're in a rough off road situation, but I am in a smooth road situation. I just need the traction, not the suspension travel. My plan is to get in touch with my inner Lowrider and see the beauty of a low 4x4. I'm sure my dog would appreciate a lower jump in and out as well.

OK, maybe not this low:

But this is a sweet ride. I found the picture on an Airstream forum. I have a Ford now, but don't have to get a Ford. Of course, primary concern is engine/trans performance and reliability, but I would also want to see how easily each of the brands could be lowered.

thanks for any ideas or experiences,
fred
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
42 REPLIES 42

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
The military surplus truck you describe sounds like a Stewart & Stevenson M1083. I didn't realize they were being sold as surplus already...didn't seem like it was that long ago that the Army started replacing the old M35s and M900 series trucks with the LMTV series trucks.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
For sure 4x4 with some good A/T tires will give you more of a fighting chance on that road. Instead of lowering the truck, think about raising the 5er. Easy to have a shop weld steel blocks between the frame and spring hangers to riase the 5er any amount.

I would pick your new truck first, then have the 5er suspension raised to match. A lot less work that lowering the truck.

Of course you don't want to over do it....

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I've had one 2 wheel drive and got that truck stuck several times, never again. With my 2008 GMC 3500 Dually 4x4 my fiver sits 1" nose high with 5" clearance at the top of the bed rails. I too have a long county dirt road, that the county won't gravel, and a steep gravel driveway that I must use 4 wheel drive to pull the fiver up. I will be putting a winch on the truck to use if we ever should get stuck, another good form of insurance.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
AT tires are good for both off and on road ... and less noise on highway.

If you think you will get stuck in this kind of terrain a lot, get a winch. It will un-stick you, until you hit the gutter again, but it will get you out. A power winch if you can afford one, and a come-a-long with hooks and ropes if not.

Bad idea to lower any 4x4 - you want clearance for roads. Get a step or a small two/three step ladder if it's too tall. You'd be sorry later if you lower the tail.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
my trucks all get m/t tires.i don't care if they're loud,bad mileage or what ever.about 10 years ago i got run off the road by an atv'er.it cost me over 1000 for "off road recovery".now,i can launch the boat in any lake without worrying if i'm going to get stuck.i've got a 9500# winch as well as really agressive treads.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Bedlam
GM's typically sit lower than Ram's and Ford's if you are looking for a lower 4wd. Like others have posted, wet clay loves to pack up - We have had to dig out wheel wells so the tire would not drag inside the well.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
OK, the truth now.....You just found a way to convince DW to let you get that new rig. :S
hush now.... It cost him allot of $$ to scrape all the gravel off before the rain....
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget to have the Eaton TrueTrac installed on the front axle :B
Maybe both depending on what you buy.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never owned a two wheel drive truck, I don't know if I've ever been in one. They're so rare around here, that you turn around to take a second look to see if you really did see one.

Definitely, buy a 4X4 and make it a diesel while you're at it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
add one vote for the 4x4.

That road looks very familiar.......
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
OK, the truth now.....You just found a way to convince DW to let you get that new rig. :S
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Might be cheaper to gravel the road for them, than to buy a new truck. Just a wild thought. Surely a 4WD will be more fun.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4 in that stuff with street tires would have netted the same result.

4x4 gives you brass and can get you stuck worse.

But I do have to give it to you, I got my F350 dually stuck in WET GRASS with my front axle sitting on pavement. Called my friend to pull me out and he sent his wife with their truck.

She will never let me forget the time that she pulled my dually out and I was stuck on grass.

LOL

You can improve the tires on your current 2wd but its a slippery slope... You can get tires to handle Georgia clay, but then they handle poorly on pavement. Which is why most 4x4 trucks have some variant of A/T's they come with... which when met with sopping wet Georgia clay... get stuck too.

A diesel may or may not help in this case.. an Automatic will

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~