cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco or KZ

tdgator
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. So I have narrowed down my purchase to either a Jayco Jay Flight Swift 264BH or a KZ Sportman Classic 240. Both within my price range and both bunk houses for the kids. Im leaning more toward the Jayco, mainly because I can find a lot more information and reviews than I can on the KZ. Also the 2 year guarantee helps a little. I have been in the Jayco but need to travel a ways to see the KZ. The KZ seems to have a little less amenities than the Jayco. I would love some opinions from other who have been in or owned one or both. Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I have a KZ. If you go thru my library on Photobucket it might help you decide.

My KZ

There are upgrades and repairs shown to make this 2011 261rks useable.

Wow, that's a lot of work. I am really impressed with all the work that went into that unit, great job. Thanks for posting the pics, very interesting.

And great front license plate (even though I drive a chevy!)

For the OP, I had a Jayco Jayflight for 2 years and really liked it. We bought a new trailer because the jayco was just too small for us.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting to see the responses. I've never owned a Jayco and only owned 1 KZ, a 5th wheel.

Had absolutely none, nada, zero problems with the KZ...I did have a Norcold fridge that stopped working 2.5 years after the purchase (i.e. out of warranty). After getting the run-around from Norcold (I was just trying to find out who would be a good installing dealer, I was prepared to pay for it myself, but Norcold wouldn't respond to me), I asked KZ to intervene.

Within 1 day of contacting KZ, they called, asked me to confirm the model of fridge, and proposed an appointment time with a local dealer. I dropped the trailer off, came back a week later (they were done 2 days later) and asked what the bill was...$0. I pushed back (assuming I should pay for either the new fridge or the installation labor), still nothing. KZ had apparently taken care of everything.

Don't know if that's the usual practice, but it's my experience. Everything else being equal, or even if its not equal, I'd recommend KZ.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Rich1902
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

My KZ

I had all the problems you had, plus some. We are camping now & I'm
looking at my couch one end caved in (poor quality)O well another project when we get home, this is getting old.

2011 K-Z SD250
Rich

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

My KZ

Lynnmor,

Is that hanger flex that leads to main frame rails cracks I'm seeing in your pics?

Seeing the cross members to stiffen up the hangers I'm putting 2 and 2 together to come up with the traditional frame cracks.

What ever happened to your wet insulation under the camper was a hand full and then some.

I see the indicator on the axle stud end, it bent?

I can see your handy. Nice truck too

I could write a book on the issues with this trailer, that's why I posted the photos so that folks can judge for themselves.

The cracks are where the factory cross-members, that support the water tank, are welded inside the frame rails. As the spring hangers twist the weak so-called I-beam the cross-members tend to push-pull at the attachment point causing the metal fatigue and then cracks. The trusses I added are to minimize the flexing of the incredibly weak frame rails.

If you saw my video, you saw the water loss from the fresh water tank. KZ replaced my tank with one made exactly the same and expected a different result. They then installed one with a gravity fill port so that the vent would be above the water level. That fix stopped the water loss, however they used the wrong type of hose and it didn't seal to the tank causing all that wet insulation. Just like everything else, I fixed that too.

My axle was bent from new. You could see the alignment problem from 50 feet away. I took it back to my dealer, Family Camping Outlet, and they said there was nothing wrong. I called Al-Ko and they would not return my calls. I sent the bent axle back to KZ and they sent it to Al-Ko where they confirmed it was bent but refused to replace it. I replaced the whole dang mess, below the frame, on my dime.

I have a tool & die shop so I can measure and do whatever needs to be done. When someone buys a new RV, there should be no need to have this much trouble and expense.

Where I messed up was believing those glowing reports about this brand of RV. I should have done a lot more checking on my own before buying.

Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I bought both the truck and trailer about the same time in preparation for retirement. The truck has been a pleasure with only a minor brake problem. The trailer is nothing less than a nightmare.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:

My KZ

Lynnmor,

Is that hanger flex that leads to main frame rails cracks I'm seeing in your pics?

Seeing the cross members to stiffen up the hangers I'm putting 2 and 2 together to come up with the traditional frame cracks.

What ever happened to your wet insulation under the camper was a hand full and then some.

I see the indicator on the axle stud end, it bent?

I can see your handy. Nice truck too
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
we will someday go for 28bhs, might take a few years, or some new hybrids come full circle as bh hybrids. say 25 bh htt, front tent, side tent, rear perpendicular bunks, couch, and small dinette slide.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS. Love it. No issues so far, pulls nice, accommodates the family very well. Can't really speak to the KZ's...
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned 3 Jayco pop-ups and 1 K-Z TT. Just sold the K-Z this Spring after 5 years of use. We LOVED that trailer and really had a hard time selling it. Both brands are great and either should meet your needs. I would buy another K-Z in a heartbeat.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
tdgator wrote:
Wow. A lot more KZ owners than I thought. I figured it would be all Jayco folks responding. Thanks everyone. Keep em coming.

My thoughts exactly, LOL! I've had a Jayco 5'er and thought the quality/service was excellent. Would highly recommend and purchase again. Never had a KZ so I can't comment on that one.

Good Luck and have fun shopping!!
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

tdgator
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. A lot more KZ owners than I thought. I figured it would be all Jayco folks responding. Thanks everyone. Keep em coming.

SilnJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Had both a KZ spree and a Jayco Jay feather. Both had a 2 year warranty, wouldn't steer you away from either since both were relatively good quality. In our case the we had less issues from the KZ. And the KZ dealer service was far superior in our area.
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 Platinum
2012 Infiniti G37xS
2012 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
I have a KZ and love it. It tows very well. I suggest you check out the KZ because then you won't have to always wonder if you should have gone and looked at that KZ.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

river_bravo
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy, and if you haven't already seen these, check out the floor plan on the Sunset Trail ST240BH. I just picked mine up and love it. It weighs 5078 lbs, I paid just under $20k for it, and the outdoor kitchen is awesome! I also liked the Kodiak 240BHSL, but no outdoor kitchen. I had Camping World quote it at $17,800. Just sayin.......
-------------------------------
2014 Sunset Trail ST240BH
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew

trickyvic3
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new 2013 KZ-Spree Escape and just love it! Yes maybe it doesn't have all the buttons+bells that some TTs have, but the price point and overall quality are what sold us on it. It has everything we need without going crazy, and after owning many other RVs over the last 40ys, I feel there is less to go wrong with it.

I did alot of research before buying the KZ and talked with many other KZ owners. Most all told us that the quality and customer service was great.
For what it's worth.... we're very happy we went with KZ, and are extremely happy with ours. Feel free to message me with any questions you may have.

Vic

KZ_ers
Explorer
Explorer
I just sold our 2011 KZ Spree 321bhs. This was our 3rd TT since 2004 and it was the BEST!! First off the only reason we sold it was cause we got bit by the HARLEY bug! Thought about trading for toy hauler but that just meant more prep and work; we just want to ride!! So in my opinion check out the KZ.
2009 FORD F-250 FX4 6.8L TRITON V10(SOLD)
2011 KZ Spree 321BHS(SOLD) :C