cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keystone vs Forest River

linck
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for our first lightweight travel trailer and have narrow down the choices to these two models:

2014 Keystone Passport 2510 RB
http://www.byerlyrv.com/inventory/285965/New-2014-Keystone-RV-Passport-2510RB-Grand-Touring.aspx

and 2014 Forest River Surveyor SP 275.
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2014-Forest-River-Surveyor-Sport-275-110296341

Both floor plans are pretty much the same. After weighing pros and cons on each their scores came in pretty close, with Surveyor lead a couple of score from features like LED light awning, rack, roof ladder, bigger TV, etc. What rings the bell to us was when we saw msrp oDoes this mean Keystone make a higher quality trailer?? n passport is a few grand higher than the surveyor even though passport have less features than surveyor. We got a quote on passport to be $22800 and Surveyor to be $22300

Does this mean Keystone make a higher quality trailer??
10 REPLIES 10

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you are going to find that much difference in build quality between trailers in the same price range. The cost of materials and aftermarket components are going to be the relatively the same for every builder. They all use the same appliances and counter-top laminates. The only variable is really going to be the cost of labor, and since trailers are built in pretty much the same geographic area, that isn't even going to be much of a variable. I would put a lot of weight on customer service(or lack of). I currently own a Keystone trailer, and it has been relatively problem free, but based on a lot of comments I've read, I'm thankful that my involvement with their CS has been minimal. They literally refuse to talk to you after the warranty period is up, even to the point of not giving you very basic information about construction, wiring, or anything else. Because of their abysmal customer support, it's unlikely that I will buy another one of their products, and my next trailer purchase will be based on the results of a lot of exploratory phone calls. JMHO
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

45seann
Explorer
Explorer
I would not have another Keystone if you gave it to me... My last one the wall fell off driving down the highway.. they had only used short sheet metal screws to attache the wall to the floor...

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
What rings the bell to us was when we saw msrp oDoes this mean Keystone make a higher quality trailer?? n passport is a few grand higher than the surveyor even though passport have less features than surveyor. We got a quote on passport to be $22800 and Surveyor to be $22300

Does this mean Keystone make a higher quality trailer??

Simple answer: NO, MSRP has nothing to do with quality.

Neither, Keystone nor Forest River, give their dealers a "manufacturers suggested retail price". The advertised MSRP's you are looking at, are determined by the individual dealers. They are based on dealer cost, dealer installed options, delivery charges, and dealer mark-up.

I was searching last year, I noticed the models I was looking for, had MSRP's that varied by as much as 10,000.00. I couldn't understand why two identical units, would have different MSRP. My short list included two Forest River products and three Keystone products. I wrote to both companies to find out why. Their answers were the same as I listed above.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My major complaint about my Surveyor is how low it sets to the ground. I have already torn two stab jacks off and haven't even been camping yet. I had to order a lift kit for $250 by Forest River from my dealer. I will have to install it myself. The dealer no longer installs them since Forest River got sued by customers because some dealer's installing the kits incorrectly.

I had a half a dozen small warranty issues but nothing major. My Surveyor Select SV264 is a very nice trailer. I looked at the Grey Wolf, Wolf Pack and a bunch of others that Forest River makes and the Survey Select is higher quality than all of them
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone vs Forest River ??

Ford vs Chevy ??

Green tractor vs blue tractor ??

Quality is in the eye of the beholder. Simply choose the brand with the floorplan you like best.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about the Forest River Surveyor, but one thing about many Keystone trailers that bothers me is that they do not laminate the front or back walls. They take the Filon, maybe with a paperboard backing, and "hang" it. It's non-bonded, held in place at the edges. As a result, it bulges in places and you can push it in and out with your finger. Maybe this is fine in general, but it doesn't seem very solid to me. I like to hit a wall with my fist and not have it move.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
Last year when we were trailer shopping we looked at both Passports and Surveyors. They are both constucted similar. You may find that one has a little fancier interior than the other (I.E. cabinet doors,refridgerator front etc.) The Passport has a deeper slideout than the Surveyor, making the inside about a foot wider. In the end ,its your trailer and you should go with the one that you are most comfortable with. One more thing, I would not be afraid to take the Surveyor offer of 22,300 to the Passport dealer and tell him "match it or lose it." You might be suprised. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Crdodd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a FR Wildcat. It is very nice and we really enjoy it. Wildcat is certainly not a higher end RV, but all brand quality is on a sliding scale. Prior to purchasing the Wildcat, I was very interested in the Keystones. When you ask the question about Keystone vs Forest River, that is really not something that can be answered. Both makers have several brands ranging from low price points to high price points. This usually equates to quality level.

I think the materials used play a huge part in the quality, but I think the construction process is very similar for both makers. You just have to choose your price point, and decide what is important to you. If you are looking to spend $22,000, you can get into a much "nicer" used model. I would look around a little more in the used market with that kind of budget.

Good luck with your search.
2011Wildcat 312BHX
2008 F350 6.4L PSD SRWCC 4x4 King Ranch
Companion Hitch

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
We looked REAL hard at the surveyor. The only reason we did not buy was the dealer would not come off the price anymore and I did not want to finance any of the purchase.
I sent you a private message
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Keystone

2014 Forest River

If it real quality you're looking for (construction, I assume) I'd look a little father than Forest River and Keystone. To answer your question, in my opinion, the higher MSRP reflects a better quality trailer. The two prices you quoted are a "wash" as they're so similar.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer