cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Left Water Heater on While Driving

MsCraftT
Explorer
Explorer
I just left my campsite and forgot to turn my water heater off. Will I have problems with it next time I camp. I don't usually do this. I'm hoping there was some water in it, left over from camping. Would I have smelled something burning if there was no water in it?
No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
Go Camping!!!
10 REPLIES 10

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
All you did was burn up a little propane. No issues... I only drain mine when it has been sitting a while and during the winter to prevent freezing. Otherwise, why go through all that trouble? It's not like I'm going to drink the hot water anyway.

It does help to drain it occasionally. I like to flush mine about twice a year. It helps the sediment get washed out. Plus, some units use an anode rod. Those need to be checked a few times a year. Replace when it looks mostly eaten away.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why you'd drain the water heater but if you did you MAY indeed have problems with it. They don't like to be dry and turned on. I drain the water heater ONLY if I winterize the trailer.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

MsCraftT
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I do have a checklist. However this is one of the items I thought my husband turned off and he thought I did. I will definitely remember to do it next. Thanks again.
Go Camping!!!

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I never turn off the water heater or fridge when traveling.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a "breaking camp" RV checklist?

There are several on Apple & Google Play and also some printable versions available here in the FAQ section.

That might help you to not forget something else later too!

Some RV Checklists

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
MsCraftT wrote:
That's good to hear. I did not drain the water heater, just dumped my black and grey tanks. Thanks for all you answers, I was worried.

Ah, then you are golden. But don't do it again (it'll waste a fair amount of propane).

MsCraftT
Explorer
Explorer
That's good to hear. I did not drain the water heater, just dumped my black and grey tanks. Thanks for all you answers, I was worried.
Go Camping!!!

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
No its fine, just make sure there is water in it when you plug electric back in. If it was left on gas it will continue to try to light the igniter off battery power also.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Probably have no problem.
Water heater may have blown out, means nothing.
Water kept hot with occaisonal ignition, means nothing.
Only problem could occur if no water in tank. Could have blown thermal fuse, would need replaced or opened thermal cutout or thermostat that means nothing.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you drain water heater?

The water heater stays full until you drain it.
Even if you left a faucet open it wouldn't drain tank unless you left a low point drain open.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31