cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of bunks in quad bunk trailers

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking to buy our first trailer for our family of 6. We've been looking at used 3 tent hybrids, but aren't finding anything close by, so we're considering going with a quad bunkhouse instead. I'm getting a little frustrated by how rarely manufacturers list the dimensions of the bunks in their floorplans, though (unless I'm just not looking in the right place). My oldest son is 14 and already 5'10", and the next two aren't too far behind him (the littlest is only 2, so he's not outgrowing anything any time soon). We tried out a Rockwood Mini-lite with 72" bunks, and they're definitely not going to work for my oldest. But we've been in a couple of others where the bunks seemed to be a good bit longer. Is there some kind of standard length that most brands will have, or is it just different in every one? Does anyone know specifically about the bunk length in the Keystone Passport 2910bh? Is there any way to find the information on various floorplans without just calling up the dealers and asking them to measure (there are several we're interested in, but all 1 1/2 to 2 hours away, so I don't want to drive up and find all the bunks are too short)? I feel like I can't be the only one who needs to put tall people in bunks; the info must be out there somewhere!
Camping with 4 boys and 3 dogs in a Jayco Octane Superlite 272
Blogging at Boxy Colonial on the Road
13 REPLIES 13

clangille
Explorer
Explorer
My bunks are 74 inches long, you may also want to check the construction under the plywood. My oldest son is 6'1" and 200lbs, I had to beef up the frame and change out the plywood from the standard wafer thin 1/4" to 3/8". I also added additional cross supports, all said and done I beefed it up from about 20$ with leftover plywood.
1st was 2009 Laurentian Ranger 190xp (written off in 2011, water damage)
2nd was a 2000 Keystone Sprinter 315BH
3rd was a 2006 Pilgrim 312BHSS
Now 2012 Forest River Salem 36BHBS

jessjosh61
Explorer
Explorer
Most do appear to be around 72" a 75". Our KZ Spree 289KS has two top bunks that are 84" (bottom bunks are 75"). These aren't available new any more, but there are used ones out there up to 2013.
Doug, Carla, Jessica and Josh
2014 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4, 6.0, 4.10, 11 MPG :E
2010 KZ Spree 289KS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco lists bed sizes for all its trailers as well.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
If you look at the Passport RV website and look at the floor plans it shows the bed size. Most seem to be 74x32 in the bunkhouses. I would guess if you looked at others the size would be listed as well. If you look at bunkhouses with a slide out, the lower bunk on the slide could be a couch or a couple futons or something. Our trailer, Premier 31bhpr has to futon type mattresses that are on the floor. That is where my son sleeps.

I could have sworn I looked at the Passport website already, but I just went over there and I see it now....yep--74 inches. Close, but probably doable (at least until his next growth spurt!)

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
Check out what weight they are rated for .

good point! we looked at one a few weeks ago that was only rated for 100 pounds in the top bunks. We only have one kid over that now, but it won't be long before at least 2 are (and the toddler can't sleep on a top bunk yet)

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at the Passport RV website and look at the floor plans it shows the bed size. Most seem to be 74x32 in the bunkhouses. I would guess if you looked at others the size would be listed as well. If you look at bunkhouses with a slide out, the lower bunk on the slide could be a couch or a couple futons or something. Our trailer, Premier 31bhpr has to futon type mattresses that are on the floor. That is where my son sleeps.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
look very carefully at the bunk lengths. When we were looking there is variation, and I have 3 kids, 2 teens, and we took them and told them to lay down and see if they would fit. There were some that were very short.
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Check out what weight they are rated for .

kokotg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I guess we'll just have to shop around....sounds like the 72 inch Rockwood bunks are shorter than most, at least. I got the idea to google replacement rv mattresses to see if I could get an idea of the sizes....looks like common bunk lengths can be 75, 79, or 80 inches. So there should be something out there for us, at least!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
My bunks are 76" long and my front queen bed is 75" long.

You'll just have to see the trailer in person, as even some makers list the wrong dimension and even have statements in their brochures as they can change anytime.

"USUALLY" the narrow 7' ultralite models have 70" bunks. Forest River has short 72" bunks in most of the trailers. I'm not a Forest River fan for this reason and many other.

Most full size (not ultralite or lite) trailers usually have bunks from 74" to 76". You'll just have to do some leg work and see them in person. I surely wouldn't order or buy a camper "hoping" that the bunks are what someone says. See for yourself!

If your ever around Elkhart county and surrounding counties in Indiana, they have many, many dealers selling about every brand available since most are made in that area.

Good luck
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
When they outgrow bunks, tents or buy their own RV.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I need to pay more attention to this!

In our Gulfstream Visa/Vista, I have slept in the bunks personally a few times and I had room to spare when fully extended...but I'm talking just inches. I am exactly 72" (6').

I want to say ours are 73-75". Without a doubt, more than 72 but not more than 78.

Mikesr
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2016 Shasta Revere 29QB and all 4 bunks are exactly 72 inches.
Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2020 Open Range Light 312BH