cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levelling blocks for camper on driveway with 2 degree grade

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, is there a product I can buy or do I need to build truck camper blocks to level my camper on my driveway that has a 2 degree grade? Unfortunately I don’t have a truck yet and may be buying a used 2010 lance 950s, so I need to place it correctly the first time because I won’t be able to move it until the truck I ordered comes in. Thank you.
44 REPLIES 44

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
It's funny you all say that you n need to support the base with something under it when the 2010 Lance instruction manual specifically says not to do that?

Ok since sliding is a concern should I use typical plastic blocks then? The truck camper is also going to be unloaded during winter and there may be some frozen moisture though I will clean it best I can.

If anyone can recommend a product I would appreciate it! Thanks!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeMurda wrote:
I guess I don’t need blocks if I can just use the jacks, since it is smooth concrete.

Steel slides on finished concrete pretty easy. Easy enough to move down the drive? Not likely. Easy enough for the camper to look like a new-born foal trying to stand first time? Slightly more likely. Enough to put un-needed stress on jack/mounting points? Rather bet on galloping dominos, know the odds, and how much I'm laying down.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Let’s don’t confuse the issue with weird suppositions. The OP posted what camper it is. And it like most every other camper has probably been sitting on its jacks for the better part of 13 years.
You know, because that’s what they’re designed to do….
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I use concrete blocks and 4X4s to rest it on. I have a few 2X6 to make up for unlevel driveways. if they are Hydraulic jacks you definatly cannot leave the camper sitting on them for extended periods of time. if they are screw jacks the jacks may handle it, depending what type it is (acme or ball screw) I wouldn't leave either sitting on the legs for long periods of time myself I would still build some sort of base under it and lower it down to take the weight off the jacks.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I don’t need blocks if I can just use the jacks, since it is smooth concrete.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
Also mix a little fine sand into varnish or another finish so they do not slip when stacked.

Hey Jim, Did you ever post a pic of these blocks?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You guys are too much! Hahahaha
One guy doesn’t know his camper jacks are adjustable and the rest of y’all get into the finer points of “constructing” leveling blocks for something unrelated….
On a separate note I never realized so much thought and innovation could go into some scrap lumber!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Slymer wrote:
Threaded rods against the grain !! Absolute genius !! Come spring I will be making my own.

I still learn something new from this forum!

Never thought of that. I just assumed my leveling planks would split apart after years of use.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
Also mix a little fine sand into varnish or another finish so they do not slip when stacked.

I put tight-fitting carriage bolts in that stick down into looser-fitting holes on the layer below. As you can see from the crack, I could use the threaded rod idea. Though honestly I’ve only split a couple blocks in 16 years of use.

My brother still has the plywood jig my Dad made so all the holes/bolts would line up. 1/8th inch bit for alignment, then used a spade bit to make clearance for washers and nut/bolt head.
BTW, Dad would never paint or finish his leveling blocks after he painted half the first set he made. In use, did not increase lifespan, and no paint means safer smoke when use the broken ones for kindling.

I wonder if somebody planed to leave truck camper in the driveway it wouldn't be smart to build a wedged-shaped platform just tall enough for the jacks to lower it down to? Maybe put wheels on one end, so easy to roll under after pull truck out?

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:

I put tight-fitting carriage bolts in that stick down into looser-fitting holes on the layer below. As you can see from the crack, I could use the threaded rod idea. Though honestly I’ve only split a couple blocks in 16 years of use.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Threaded rods against the grain !! Absolute genius !! Come spring I will be making my own.

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
You say you don't have a truck.
That means the camper will be resting on the jacks, right?
Why do you need blocks? Use the jacks to level it.

However, it would make sense to put supports under the camper floor to eliminate sway as well as the side loads introduced to the jacks by being parked on a non-level surface. This will take a lot of stress out of the jack mounts.

Edited to add: of course the jacks need to rest on solid, firm ground. You can put pieces of wood underneath to distribute the load.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even if it there were not needed for the driveway, you will need them for campgrounds where the camp area is not perfectly level and flat.

You can buy a box of RV leveling blocks but they will be plastic and can easily break. I was able to find some scrap 2x8 boards and made my own. I cut them about 1' long, beveled one side and reinforced the wood with threaded rods across the grain. They have held up for many hundreds of uses. I frequently need to stack them 2 or sometimes 3 layers high so I carry 6 blocks. On occasion I have used them all but never needed more.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The camper jacks are adjustable. Or I’m not understanding the question.