cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lighting the oven

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We will be using our oven for the first time over Thanksgiving. I was looking at our stove/oven and I know how to light the stove burners. But I'm unclear about the oven. Is it the old fashioned way where the oven door has to be opened and then a match is placed at the pilot light?

Happy Thanksgiving!
27 REPLIES 27

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I usually have my DH light the oven. Use one of those barbeque gas lighteners as they are longer and easier to stay lit. It takes a while to light. Also make sure the cover is off the burners if you have one, and run the fan on the vent hood/microwave. At least that is what our manual said.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
If this is the first time baking in this oven don't forget to put a pizza stone or some other heat distributing stone on the bottom rack.

Otherwise, you will have my wife's specialty for Thanksgiving...black bottom rolls.

Anyone want the recipe, just PM me. Apparently, they are easy to do since we seem to have them every Thanksgiving!

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I have an old one....I use the butane strikers (long handled - easier to use). I have to turn mine up to about 250 deg.......way past where it says to have it on for lighting. Then I just run my striker front and back until it "catches". ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First time using oven........

I would go light that oven off and then crank that oven dial up to 'broil' and let it heat for about 30 minutes with door just barely open and burn off any residue left from mfg.

Then when you want to use it......
Pizza stone (we use a 12" unglazed tera cotta tile)
Let it pre-heat until temp is actually reached (get an oven thermometer)
Then add 5 minutes extra cooking time
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have one that was so awkward to get to that I devised a simple way to light it. I'm kind of dizzy even when I'm sober. Let alone when I'm doing contortionist yoga exercises like trying to light an RV oven. So, I lit a can of Sterno and put it right under the pilot light. Then, I was able to sit up and push in the knob until the pilot lit. I removed the Sterno, and turned on the oven. Quick and easy.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Slide the bottom cover out and you will be looking at the pilot light, no need to stand on your head

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
And, after you get it lit don't expect the gas to light the whole main burner right away after you turn up the thermostat. On mine, after I turn the thermostat up the first thing that happens is that the pilot light gets bigger. After that bigger pilot light runs for awhile it then opens the main gas valve and turns on the rest of the oven. But, I have a old oven maybe the new ones are different.

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, get a pizza stone, it saved my oven from the melted cutting board.

Sharon

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
It will take a while for the heat to warm the pilot. I have found if the oven has not been turned on before light one of burners to pull gas that way. The hard part is knowing the spot for the pilot. On my oven I do not have to push in the knob, just turn it to pilot. As you wait blood will rush to your head. Some will leave the pilot on but, I do not, to me it is a waste of fuel and might not use the oven for several days later.

Sharon

PS: Make sure nothing is in the oven, I melted a cutting board.

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
If this is the first time baking in this oven don't forget to put a pizza stone or some other heat distributing stone on the bottom rack.

We use 4 4 inch unglazed tiles works great makes a big difference in cooking bread!
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Bill and Joey the dog

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you have help let them push the oven pilot button while you lay on the floor to light the pilot light. ovens are a pain in the back side to light.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically yes. Get a gas match, turn the control know to pilot on, press in and hold while you place the lighted gas match in the vicinity of the pilot orifice and wait. Mine usually can take two or three minutes to get lit the first time. After that I can light it off really quick.