cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of used Canadian trucks on the local Ford lots

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
We've been browsing the local car lots looking for a used truck to replace the Dodge. Saturday and Sunday we looked at two different Ford lots in two different towns. Each has some 2014-2015 white F250 and F350 gas trucks with low miles. I did a car fax on the first one and it was from Canada (Fort McMurray, AB). I thought that was odd so I looked at the others and they are all from the same area. Why would a dealer in Southern Indiana be buying truck from Canada to sell here ?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL
64 REPLIES 64

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the salt is used in Ontario and Quebec.
Very little out West. Maybe in the bigger Western cities ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Have few here in Colorado and all have very rusty under carriage, from what I was reading Canada uses a lot of salt.

I looked at 2 GM trucks, both from Canada and the undersides were rust buckets.

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
I also get the letter from the local dealership here in Calgary asking for my 2012 350 lariat with only 60k on it. We offer this that the sun and moon too............ no thanks and I don't reply.
Seems the price for used a few years remains high despite the economic woes. I did see a few deals but the trucks had the 6.2 gas.

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Hey not to de rail but this thread is gone anyway.....lol
Is the truck market in Alberta still hot?
I'd think the opposite and trying to find a CDN truck with the exchange the way it is and some Canadian funds I can spend.
Also where are all the use private party vehicles listed? Seems like craigslist and kiiji don't have much in Calgary and Edmonton. Or is the used market that hot still?

Yes it is still hot, as in brokers and dealerships are snapping them up left and right, shipping them south. There are literally truckloads going south. I know someone at the local Auction, and they are busier than ever.

Kijiji or Autotrader.ca is the best, most people just use kijiji, unless it's a dealer. Craiglist never caught on here.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
bovellois wrote:
Nobody yet mentioned that US dealers are welcome to take all the Fords they want from us 😉

And that's why we have so few quality used trucks!
I've given up looking for used.

But I do expect a good price for my trade-in.
Guess it's a trade-off.

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody yet mentioned that US dealers are welcome to take all the Fords they want from us 😉
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Also where are all the use private party vehicles listed? Seems like craigslist and kiiji don't have much in Calgary and Edmonton. Or is the used market that hot still?

Try autotrader.ca
Worth checking for sure, but when I looked at it recently it was mostly dealers advertizing on it.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Try autotrader.ca

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JN_B wrote:
Late to the party.. But just an FYI, ALOT of those trucks are not oilfield trucks. I've had 5 dealerships calling me wanting my truck, and I know 3 people (not in the oilfield), that traded their 2014 trucks for 2016, with low mileage, great shape.

Do you homework, as in, it's really easy to tell if it's an oilfield truck. Usually the caked mud on hard to reach places is a dead give away.

Hey not to de rail but this thread is gone anyway.....lol
Is the truck market in Alberta still hot?
I'd think the opposite and trying to find a CDN truck with the exchange the way it is and some Canadian funds I can spend.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
JN_B wrote:
Late to the party.. But just an FYI, ALOT of those trucks are not oilfield trucks. I've had 5 dealerships calling me wanting my truck, and I know 3 people (not in the oilfield), that traded their 2014 trucks for 2016, with low mileage, great shape.

Do you homework, as in, it's really easy to tell if it's an oilfield truck. Usually the caked mud on hard to reach places is a dead give away.

X2 haven't worked in the patch since last April, still digging mud out in those hard to reach areas, every time I service mine, I find some more mud.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

cream_peach
Explorer
Explorer
I would rather have a truck from Canada. The 96 style f150 rear boxes used a thicker sheet of steel for the rear box sides. Needed for tougher rust srandards in Canada. Parts were made in Woodhaven MI Ford Plant. Getting off topic. Enjoy your toy

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
shepstone wrote:
mich800 wrote:
shum02 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
shepstone wrote:
I believe there is a difference if you buy new or used with waranty remaining. So if you bought the vehicle new of the lot in the US then took it into Canada or vise versa there wouldnt be a warranty , but if the vehicle was bought as a used vehicle that is still under warranty then it is valid. And it is also different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Thay each have thier own policies.

I think we/they are talking about two different things. A Canada vehicle registered to a Canada resident can get warranty work done in the States and vise versa. The issue would be if a U.S. resident went to Canada and purchased a vehicle and then registered it in the USA. The window sticker from the Canada truck I purchased that was imported back to the US clearly states "this vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US". That could be the sticking point where warranty issues come into play.

I will only speak regarding Ford but their warranty is transferable regardless which side of the border the vehicle goes to or resides in. It's under warranty here, it's under warranty there regardless of new or used. If there is a balance of factory warranty you get it.

Probably true. I know all the literature I have make it clear or at least very strongly suggest that the truck I purchased should not be titled/registered in the USA. But I have had zero issues with dealers or getting work done if I needed it with respect to tsb's or warranty.

According to the CBC it doesn't look like there are any restrictions warranty wise for buying a new car in the U.S and registering it in Canada , so it probably works the other way round too here

Only vehicle manufacture I have heard of that made it difficult was/is Honda. Also U.S lifetime warranties(when they where av) on Chryslers where not transferable to Canadian customers.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
shum02 wrote:
mich800 wrote:
shepstone wrote:
I believe there is a difference if you buy new or used with waranty remaining. So if you bought the vehicle new of the lot in the US then took it into Canada or vise versa there wouldnt be a warranty , but if the vehicle was bought as a used vehicle that is still under warranty then it is valid. And it is also different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Thay each have thier own policies.

I think we/they are talking about two different things. A Canada vehicle registered to a Canada resident can get warranty work done in the States and vise versa. The issue would be if a U.S. resident went to Canada and purchased a vehicle and then registered it in the USA. The window sticker from the Canada truck I purchased that was imported back to the US clearly states "this vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US". That could be the sticking point where warranty issues come into play.

I will only speak regarding Ford but their warranty is transferable regardless which side of the border the vehicle goes to or resides in. It's under warranty here, it's under warranty there regardless of new or used. If there is a balance of factory warranty you get it.

Probably true. I know all the literature I have make it clear or at least very strongly suggest that the truck I purchased should not be titled/registered in the USA. But I have had zero issues with dealers or getting work done if I needed it with respect to tsb's or warranty.

According to the CBC it doesn't look like there are any restrictions warranty wise for buying a new car in the U.S and registering it in Canada , so it probably works the other way round too here
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0