cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP Detector

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in need of a new LP detector to replace my Safe T Alert 40-442P. My friend got a new one that mfg. date was 2 yrs.old when he received it, so on a 5 yr. life he's already down to 3. Where have you gone via. the net. to avoid this from happening ? Also have any of you gone the LP/CO2 combo and are happy enough to recommend one or just the LP model. TIA K-Mac.
15 REPLIES 15

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Both of my detectors started beeping at almost exactly 5 years from the date of having power first connected. I cut the power wires to them while in storage this winter and have new ones to replace them before our first trip out next month.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys,waiting on amazon to arrive. I sent an e-mail to MTI Ind. to when the clock starts clicking on detector, but have not gotten a response, 3 days now. Thanks again.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, opnspaces, for making the clicky! It operates off a 5vdc micro usb source. I simply plugged it into a USB cell phone charger. Regarding size, slightly larger diameter than a hockey puck, but not as thick. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
h45wt wrote:
K Mac wrote:
I'm in need of a new LP detector to replace my Safe T Alert 40-442P. My friend got a new one that mfg. date was 2 yrs.old when he received it, so on a 5 yr. life he's already down to 3. Where have you gone via. the net. to avoid this from happening ? Also have any of you gone the LP/CO2 combo and are happy enough to recommend one or just the LP model. TIA K-Mac.

As far as I have been able to find out for the MTI units the internal 5yr clock doesn't start until the first time power is applied to the detector and I also believe there is an internal battery for the 5yr timer so pulling the fuse to increase life span doesn't help. If someone still has their old unit they should tear it apart and see if there really is a small coin type battery in there. I do pull my fuse each winter and this summer will be my fifth year so I should know in the next several months what happens. Most of the units have a special alert that indicates your 5yrs is up. Pushing the reset usually gives you 30 days before it can't be reset.

I tore my old one apart when I replaced it. It did not have any kind of battery, at least that I could tell. Just circuit board. MTI Industries 30-442-P-BR

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
loggenrock wrote:
Here's what I went to as a second flammable gas detector for the rig. Sorry - not sure how to make one of those "clicky" things...
https://smile.amazon.com/Detector-Ourjob-Household-Combustible-Detector-Detectors/dp/B07DQVCMQW/ref=sr_1_62?crid=XM1JLVMQDJRC&keywords=lp+detector&qid=1554337268&s=gateway&sprefix=lp+detector%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-62

Can you post actual picture? How did you wire it?
In the listing one picture shows it like 4x size of human hand, than other picture about the size of CC.
Something is wrong with at least 1 of them.

h45wt
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:

As far as I have been able to find out for the MTI units the internal 5yr clock doesn't start until the first time power is applied to the detector and I also believe there is an internal battery for the 5yr timer so pulling the fuse to increase life span doesn't help. If someone still has their old unit they should tear it apart and see if there really is a small coin type battery in there. I do pull my fuse each winter and this summer will be my fifth year so I should know in the next several months what happens. Most of the units have a special alert that indicates your 5yrs is up. Pushing the reset usually gives you 30 days before it can't be reset.
03 Chevy 3500 LT DRW D/A CC LB 4x4
03 Lance 1130

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I went to as a second flammable gas detector for the rig. Sorry - not sure how to make one of those "clicky" things...
https://smile.amazon.com/Detector-Ourjob-Household-Combustible-Detector-Detectors/dp/B07DQVCMQW/ref=sr_1_62?crid=XM1JLVMQDJRC&keywords=lp+detector&qid=1554337268&s=gateway&sprefix=lp+detector%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-62
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I had an incident 2years ago when the CO alarm went off at 3 AM . Didn't detect anything but got out . Waited a bit , went back in , opened all Windows and vents , took a look around and could find nothing wrong . Nothing was on except frig . Fortunately was at friends and went to the house till morning . Next day I closed everything back up , and a few hours later took a ride to the local FD . Had them check everything with there meters and found nothing . Checked the CO detector and it was 10 years old . We concluded it had a built in timer for the exparation date .Bought a new detector and haven't had a problem since . It seems that some detectors already have this feature .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
That’s a pretty neat way to increase future sales. Include a built-in timer that tells you when your propane detector is expired. It’s not broken, it’s just expired.

That’s almost as good as the guy that figured out how to double the sales of shampoo by adding one single word to the instructions: “Repeat”.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I still have factory propane detector on camper build in 2001.
It seem to work. ... even with no propane leak as I triple check.
Had to pull fuse on last use.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I am testing the power-on timer theory with my new one. I'm disconnecting it every winter for about 6 months.
We'll see if it lasts twice as long.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got my replacement recently on Amazon as well. It was a few months old as far as expire date is concerned..

One Source RV was the vendor.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine on Amazon. Manufacture date was 3 months before I received it. Maybe I got lucky, but at least it's easy returns through them if the date is way out.

Bob might be right on powering it up though, so it may not matter ?