cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More diesel news; when it rains............

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
More diesels bound for US market.

This sucks. Diesel is about 10 cents higher then regular around here. 🙂 If every soccer mom in the US gets a diesel it will drive #2 up, up, up and out of sight. :M
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
53 REPLIES 53

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Fracking is good and tested technology, been around for decades. Here's a thought. We have a bunch of oil refineries along the Gulf coast; what if there was a pipeline running from the Dakota's to say, maybe the Houston to New Orleans area?

Better idea. Lets build some new refineries in the US not affected by storms coming in from the Gulf of Mexico.

But, that is almost an exercise in futility. Aside from the one under construction now in North Dakota, there hasn't been a new refinery built in the US since 1973.

Saudi Arabia started trying to build a new refinery in the eastern US way back in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Never turned the first shovel of dirt, blocked at every move by endless regulation and study, which never ended so they finally gave up.

Same story right now near me in South Dakota. Company tried to get a new refinery going near Elk Point SD. Litigation, endless regulations and study later, still has not turned the first shovel of dirt.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Fracking is good and tested technology, been around for decades. Here's a thought. We have a bunch of oil refineries along the Gulf coast; what if there was a pipeline running from the Dakota's to say, maybe the Houston to New Orleans area?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Goducks10:

as I understand things, OPEC manipulates the market through their increase or decrease of production, but they themselves don't set the price.

It is still the commodities market, meaning Wall Street mostly, that sets the prices.

I can only hope OPEC is getting a tad uncomfortable with the predicted oil output from North Dakota to come.

That makes sense.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
I think the only practical fuel that we can source 100% domestically is natural gas.

I'd like to see more choices for both diesel and natural gas vehicles...and they're coming.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
For those, like me, who never understood what fracking was, here's a link to a video my nephew sent me.

Explains all about the oil production being used now in the Bakken fields of North Dakota.

Oil fracking video
RV'ing since 1991

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as the US government feels the need to buy friends in the Middle East we will never get away from being defendant on them for oil.

The US will continue to export......fuel prices will continue to be set on a whim by Wall Street and we will continue to buy fuel.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Goducks10:

as I understand things, OPEC manipulates the market through their increase or decrease of production, but they themselves don't set the price.

It is still the commodities market, meaning Wall Street mostly, that sets the prices.

I can only hope OPEC is getting a tad uncomfortable with the predicted oil output from North Dakota to come.
RV'ing since 1991

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:
mpierce wrote:
JamesBr wrote:
Fracking is used to extract natural gas, not crude oil distillates.

Wow. Talk about wrong info posted! I guess everything on the internet is not true! LOL

Please show me where fracking has produced diesel or any other crude oil distilate? And out of all the the production from fracking, the majority is for natural gas, not for crude oil.

Good grief man! My nephew works for one of the biggest suppliers of fracking products in Williston ND. He says they frack every well drilled!

And it is mostly ALL crude oil they are producing up there right now.

BNSF railroad and Canadian Pacific railroad, due to just no pipeline capacity, are moving more than 1.5 million barrels of oil each day out by unit oil tanker trains.

My nephews company specializes in the special sand used for fracking. He says it is a uniformed grain size of sand they get out of Wisconsin. Says it looks like sand one sees on any beach, a really lite coloring to it.

Right now, they use up to 15,000 pounds of this sand per well to frack it. There is also diesel fuel and other chemicals I guess used in the process, but the exact things they use, besides the sand, I am not really aware of.

Also, and this was new to me, I thought they did this fracking process while the big drilling rig was in place. Well, WRONG!

They finish drilling, remove the drilling rig and place a pump valve head on the piping coming out of the ground. Then they frack the well, using the sand and chemicals.

So yes, fracking IS used for crude oil production. The Bakken field making all the news would be nowhere without it. All those wells are drilled both vertically, then horizontally, then fracked.
RV'ing since 1991

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
JamesBr wrote:

Wow. Talk about wrong info posted! I guess everything on the internet is not true! LOL

Please show me where fracking has produced diesel or any other crude oil distilate? And out of all the the production from fracking, the majority is for natural gas, not for crude oil.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Reaffirmation of my decision to pass on diesel back in the 90's

Saw all this coming reading of the proposed Federal SMOG mandates and so similar
to the late 70's into the 80's SMOG driven gasser issues (diesel was exempt back
then to high levels of SMOG controls)

Also knew direct injection coming (already some OEMs were selling them) and
direct injection gasoline going to get better and better.

More so now that the price per gallon differential gone or mostly gone at any
given time
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
JamesBr wrote:

Wrong. 1,000's of wells being drilled into the Bakken formation in North Dakota and Montana. Most all are being fracked. An almost 99% success rate on each well drilled with fracking.

Folks, the real exciting news with oil is currently the Bakken formation, mentioned earlier.

BUT, there is an even larger shale oil formation just recently found underneath the Bakken called the Three Forks formation.

In other words, given enough time, North Dakota will produce more oil than ANYWHERE ELSE on the planet.

Local officials and oil company papers are stating there are at least another 1,000 wells to be drilled in just the NW area of North Dakota alone.

Folks, that is going to be a lot of oil, and perhaps our end to foreign imports. And that would be very good news.

While goods it is. It will just make the U.S the largest exporter. Even with all the success in fracking isn't the price of crude still determined by OPEC? IIRC.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Number of models is great, but sales volume/% of total market is low, like under 3%. It is not likely to get over 5% soon. And diesel passenger cars (including 3/4 and 1-ton pickups) use even lower % of diesel fuel of supply compared to the transportation industry in the USA.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
JamesBr wrote:

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
gmcsmoke wrote:
but that's not going to reduce the price

yeah, speculation in the commodities market is the killer for all of us who can only wish supply and demand drove the market.

But, even on the speculation/commodities side of things, reducing and hopefully eliminating our foreign oil imports would place much less importance on happenings around the world, which so very much affect the market right now.

Someone sneezes on a fishing boat in the Persian Gulf and the price of oil changes. Take the unstable Middle East out of the equation by having no dependance on foreign oil and they can sneeze away all they want.
RV'ing since 1991