cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MOTOR OIL ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
After learning a certain oil change facility does not always change the oil filter when doing an oil change I went back to doing it myself. Things have changed on the motor oil shelf. So many choices. Synthetic, petrolium, blended. My question is if I go synthetic and need to add oil later can I mix petrolium with synthetic? What is blended? Is "high mileage" oil any different? Howq? Thanks for any info you may share
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
69 REPLIES 69

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Time to research engine oil filters again.

Wonder what the best/better filters spec is for particulate size they filter down to

IIRC, WIX (Napa Gold) and PureOne were good to >25 microns. Anyone have that data?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I have a similar story and it's not a myth. In my early 20's a friend of mine had the oil light come on and soon a rod knock in his 1991 Toyota Tercel with 38,000 miles on it. When I tried to drain the oil it seriously came out like chocolate pudding, slow and goopy. He admitted he had never changed it since new.

Long story short we swapped in a used junkyard motor. Being basically a kid I kept some of that old oil in a mayonnaise jar on the shelf in the garage. I used a long screwdriver to carve the date in the oil sludge in the bottom of the jar. Years later when my mother sold the house and we were clearing out the garage you could still see the date carved in the sludge.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
philh wrote:
mix and match, change up if you like. Today's it's an old wives tale, that actually had a basis of fact in the past.

Friend was a mechanic that had a car come in with a failed engine. A little thick sludge came out of the drain. After an investigation, turns out the female owner religiously took her car to the same quickie oil change place for an oil change every 3000 miles... except for (IRC) 50,000 miles, it never got changed.

Sounds like one of those apocryphal stories that never happened. At best, it may have been a lie when she was trying to get a warranty claim after never changing the oil.

They might be able to trick her on the filter but if you are sitting in the car, you can typically see them putting the oil in.

An oil change place that doesn't change the oil would get caught by someone real quick and then get run out of business as not all people are stupid.

He was a dealership mechanic, and I personally knew him. He had photos of the remaining sludge in the pan, and also buildup on the heads.

I did ask the question, how did the car last that long? They speculated the oil was "topped" off every time she came in for an oil change.

Engines are surprisingly resilient to bad owner behavior. My step daughter trashed her engine. She bought a used car and had it inspected by a mechanic I trusted. 18ish months later it died, I had it towed to same shop. My wife was with her and the mechanic asked when the last time the oil was changed. Couple of months ago. Who did the oil change? Shop over by work. Was that your first oil change? Oh no, couple of time before that. At that point he had enough, he directly confronted her, why are you lying? Took her over to the car, showed her the oil filter he put on when he did the prebuy inspection, with the mark he made on it. {sigh}. I know she didn't learn that behavior from her mom or I. I change the oil in our cars, and actually sample each oil change.

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at this as well:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miles-Lubricants-Milesyn-SB-15W-40-API-CK-4-5-Gal-Synthetic-Blend-Diesel-Motor-Oil-Pail-MSF200103/305238438

And wonder what our oil Gurus think of it?

5 Gallons of synthetic blend for $83 delivered.

Edit: Oops! I got in my head that you had a diesel. This oil is definitely no appropriate for your rig.

I have seen a 5 gallon synthetic blend for gas engines for $52 including freight.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The one and only time I went to a quickie oil change place, when the kid handed me the bill, it included a charge for an additional quart of oil. When I inquired, he informed me that my vehicle, a full size '92 van with a 5.7 TBI engine, needed six quarts of oil, and the standard rate included only five.

When I told him that I had change it myself many times, and it takes five, he pulled the dipstick, and sure enough, it was overfilled. He removed the extra quart, and showed me the computer screen that told him six quarts was required.

It's not always a barely-sentient worker messing up.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I took my Dodge CTD to a chain oil change place a few times.

The last two visits convinced me to go back to doing it myself.

I dropped my truck off and they told me to come back in 45 minutes. 45 minutes later they explained to me that they could not change my oil because the drain plug took a special tool and I would have to go to the dealer to get my oil changed....

It happens that I happen to own that secret tool ๐Ÿ™‚ so I went home and changed it myself.

Second try went pretty much like the first except the reason that they couldn't change it was that the drain plug was cross threaded and I would have to go to the dealer. Again I went home and did it myself. The drain plug was a little snug but not cross threaded.

The next time I saved myself an hour and just stayed home and changed my own oil.

My own thoughts on synthetic Vs conventional oil:

A big benefit of synthetic is extended oil changes. If you put on a ton of miles and oil changes come frequently it makes sense to run synthetic oil that can be run significantly more miles than conventional oil.

Currently my RVing is limited to trips during the Summer. Max of about 400 miles. I put less than 3000 miles last year. With my current activity I never hit 3000 miles before I have run for six months. I run Rotella T and change it every six months.

I hope to be going on the road full time in 2022. If I put the miles on like I did last time I was full time then it will make sense to go synthetic. I expect to be putting between 15k and 20k miles a year.

The blended oil is new to me. What kind of oil change frequency would be appropriate with blended?
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I don't know what you tow with but I do know Toyota and Honda (maybe several others??) have a spec in their owners manual to change their filter every other time.

There is a very good reason for this spec. You see, a filter filters better the longer it filters out impurities. All a filter is, is a piece of media with holes in it. The more holes that are covered up the more the filter will filter.

Now I know people are going to lose their shirt over the above statement but maybe the oil change place knows more than you or "some" of the people on this forum.

When I had my turbo car I blocked off the by-pass because I didn't want any unfiltered oil going through my turbo. I never saw any pressure drop after 5 or even 7 thousand miles. That means to me the filter still had a long way to go.

Something to think about.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Change oil on millions of vehicles, likely to have thousands of mistakes. Change oil on 1 vehicle a month or less, easy to do it right, and the mistakes made will be fixed, not reported.

The other differenced is thed kid at the jiffy lube place, who was flipping burgers last week and whose main goal is to up sell whatever he or she can, has no skin in the game when it comes to your vehicle. When i work on my (or a friend's vehicle) I make sure I do everything correctly.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
srt20 wrote:
by who?

ME.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Oasisbob wrote:
My question is if I go synthetic and need to add oil later can I mix petrolium with synthetic?

It's not recommend to mix oil types.

by who?

Mobil Does Not Recommend Mixing Oil

However, they also say it should not cause any harm. I have mixed synthetic and conventional oil with no problems.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change oil on millions of vehicles, likely to have thousands of mistakes. Change oil on 1 vehicle a month or less, easy to do it right, and the mistakes made will be fixed, not reported.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I do 90 percent of all my mechanical work on all my vehicles... only a few times to my mechanic since I donโ€™t always have access to a lift. On my families Diesel engines I do some work; but kinda hard if the cab needs lifted for major repair, which Iโ€™ve done, just time consuming...On all oil changes, Iโ€™ve always done by myself, regardless of vehicle. My neighbor had her oil done at a quick lube place and they completely overfilled the oil... there are several stories of these places messing up customers vehicles, hence I donโ€™t trust them...
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
philh wrote:
mix and match, change up if you like. Today's it's an old wives tale, that actually had a basis of fact in the past.

Friend was a mechanic that had a car come in with a failed engine. A little thick sludge came out of the drain. After an investigation, turns out the female owner religiously took her car to the same quickie oil change place for an oil change every 3000 miles... except for (IRC) 50,000 miles, it never got changed.

Sounds like one of those apocryphal stories that never happened. At best, it may have been a lie when she was trying to get a warranty claim after never changing the oil.

They might be able to trick her on the filter but if you are sitting in the car, you can typically see them putting the oil in.

An oil change place that doesn't change the oil would get caught by someone real quick and then get run out of business as not all people are stupid.

Everyone has a quickie change horror story. I have two friends that had a bad experience. One with Walmart. They drained his transmission instead of the engine and then filled the engine with more oil. He didn't make it to far down the road before the transmission gave out. Walmart did make good on that one. My other friend had his oil changed at a GM dealer. The next day when he pulled out of his garage his saw a large puddle of oil. The tech forgot to tighten the filter. Lucky for him he didn't drive to far after the oil change and was able to tighten the filter and top off the oil.
I realize these occurrences are rare but they do happen.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
2019.Jeep,, synthetic
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
philh wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV