cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new GMC

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer
I brought home a new 2015 GMC 2500hd this weekend. SLT, pretty well loaded and GORGEOUS! I love this thing! Traded in a '13 GMC that was an excellent truck, just boring. I never fell in love with it. I just had my hitch installed and couldn't wait to see how the fiver sat when hooked up. The new truck is a good two inches taller than the old truck and I had to adjust the hitch and it might need to go down some more but I'm not sure about clearance yet. The under rail bed lights are a really nice and useful feature and GM's new tow mirrors are among the best, if not the best, I've ever used ( I drove all three makes over the weekend).
21 REPLIES 21

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
mamasmax wrote:
Thank you, everyone. N-trouble, I don't understand the hight difference either. Both are CC shortbed 4X4 on 20" wheels. I measured this difference at the back of the bed, btw. Have never seen this mentioned before.

our 15 2500 GMC Denali is 2" taller overall 2" higher to the top of the bed and 2" taller to the seats than our 04. same cc/4x4/sb duramax.

In almost every respect the 15 is far superior to the 04.5.

Two cases that I liked the 04 better are the lower ride height and overall height, and better view over the hood. On the 04 I didn't need to use the running boards to get into the seat. on the 15 I do. and while the taller square hood gives better cooling, it does cut down on visibility. really noticed that on a two track road through the hills, a few times couldn't see far enough in front to see the downhill side of the road and the turn afterwards. and harder in parking lots.

This is already well known if comparing back to an 04. OP was comparing to his previous 13' which IMO shouldn't be any different on the hitch height. Bed height maybe a little, but not hitch height.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mamasmax wrote:
Thank you, everyone. N-trouble, I don't understand the hight difference either. Both are CC shortbed 4X4 on 20" wheels. I measured this difference at the back of the bed, btw. Have never seen this mentioned before.

our 15 2500 GMC Denali is 2" taller overall 2" higher to the top of the bed and 2" taller to the seats than our 04. same cc/4x4/sb duramax.

In almost every respect the 15 is far superior to the 04.5.

Two cases that I liked the 04 better are the lower ride height and overall height, and better view over the hood. On the 04 I didn't need to use the running boards to get into the seat. on the 15 I do. and while the taller square hood gives better cooling, it does cut down on visibility. really noticed that on a two track road through the hills, a few times couldn't see far enough in front to see the downhill side of the road and the turn afterwards. and harder in parking lots.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer
I think the ride hight difference is not going to be a problem. Just towed 200 miles and it pulls great, as you would expect! Much more quite and comfortable than the '13. Just love these mirrors.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
nice looking truck! I'm thinking that the bedsides are slightly taller on the '15 than the previous gen even if its the same platform. You may need to look at some adjustments on the suspension of your FW to bring it up a bit.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!!! Looks great!!!!

As for the height difference, as mentioned the same frame/ drivetrain is under the HD's since '11. Two possibilities I can think of: you were not parked in the exact same spot I am guessing so maybe a slight ground difference (2" difference though???), or the bed is a little deeper than the last truck. Otherwise, no idea unless your truck's rear springs had settled that much from the 5ver unless your measurement was from new, not when you traded...

Enjoy!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Really nice truck, congrats. I really like that style as well, enjoy!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice truck.
Did you get the Duramax ?
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps GM changed the size of the rear blocks ?
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVcrazy wrote:
Enjoy! We love our 2015 Silverado and have 32,000 miles on it so far.

I don't even have 32,000 on my 2005 yet. 🙂

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice truck! Those 15 GMs are the real deal. Traded our 2010 Dodge for a 15 Chev. Wouldn't go back for anything.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Aww she"s a beauty!!
More pics!!
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a jewel.... GM has finally.... finally.... come up with some good mirrors. BTW... They look like the ones on my truck! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy! We love our 2015 Silverado and have 32,000 miles on it so far.