Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My truck got hit...............

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
........... ๐Ÿ˜ž

3 weeks ago, my truck was hit on the left side while I was traveling northbound on I-5 in the #1 lane at 60 to 65 mph. After crossing under a new overpass construction site, I noticed a northbound water truck in the median strip accelerating in the area between the construction cones and the concrete median divider. Suddenly the water truck swerved to the right, and drove between 2 of the construction cones, entering the #1 northbound lane at an approximate 45 degree angle to the lane and my truck. I initiated an evasive maneuver to the right towards the #2 northbound lane, but was limited in the distance I could move to the right by northbound traffic in the #2 lane. A 2-1/2 inch water nozzle located at the right front corner of the water truck struck my vehicle on the left side at the rear of the left-rear passenger door, and contact continued along the left side of my truck to the rear bumper. Luckily no other vehicles were involved. The CHP officer who responded told me I was lucky to be in a large & heavy vehicle, because if I had been driving a small sedan, things might have not turned out well for me.

The truck is finally in the body shop getting repaired, and will also have to go on the frame rack to see if there is any frame damage. The insurance adjuster said the rear axle may have been knocked a little out of alignment.

We've already had to cancel two weekend camping trips, but hope we get the truck back in time for our big summer camp trip in a few weeks.

View from where I was able to pull over and stop. The collision happened about 100 feet this side of the overpass.

Another view of the body damage.

Here you can see where the 2-1/2" water nozzle got torn off when the water truck ran into my truck.
'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not
31 REPLIES 31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
recycler wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I don't want this to sound bad or like I'm aiming this to the OP and by law this was the water truck operators fault but it looks like this was a classic example of riding in a big trucks blind spot. See it every day. If you can't see the driver of the big truck then you need to assume that he can't see you. Also, did the original OP's truck not have brakes? Like stated in another post , going WAY too fast for a construction zone.

Sorry, but this could have been avoided.

you may want to reread the o/p he stated the truck jumped out from behind the divider cones from the construction side..there for the water truck driver was at fault.. i too am wondering about the speed in mich that would be a doubled fine for exceeded the speed limit in construction zone..i hope the insurance company spec'ed a new wheel and tire

If the water truck driver could not see you , no reason not to pull out. Likely a sigh not far before that that stated "Trucks Entering Roadway" To the OP I am surprised that you are not found partly at fault.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
I don't want this to sound bad or like I'm aiming this to the OP and by law this was the water truck operators fault but it looks like this was a classic example of riding in a big trucks blind spot. See it every day. If you can't see the driver of the big truck then you need to assume that he can't see you. Also, did the original OP's truck not have brakes? Like stated in another post , going WAY too fast for a construction zone.

you may want to reread the o/p he stated the truck jumped out from behind the divider cones from the construction side..there for the water truck driver was at fault.. i too am wondering about the speed in mich that would be a doubled fine for exceeded the speed limit in construction zone..i hope the insurance company spec'ed a new wheel and tire
1999 F550 truck conversion

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

I think you need to go back and read the first post by the OP. This had nothing to do with being in anyone's blind spot. The water truck came out of the construction zone and struck the OP while he was driving down the left lane minding his own business. :C

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are lucky you didn't get a ticket. You were doing 60-65 in a construction zone(still orange cones) with workers(water truck) present. Most places that would get you the ticket.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I hope someone did a drug test on that water truck driver.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Orange deliniator is the Nevada state tree and truck tire casing is state flower.

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Really doubt there is any frame damage to your truck, the feed pipe broke at the threads, the weakest part of the pip, and by the looks of things no support outside of the coupling.

Agreed! I cannot fathom that causing frame damage or spring damage. Sucks that it happened though!

That's what I thought too. The claims adjuster showed me where the leaf springs had shifted slightly, so suspected the rear axle possibly could have been knocked out of alignment. He decided checking the frame would also be advisable.

EPenney
Explorer
Explorer
ramyankee wrote:
Those cones could probably be our next state bird.....It all looks the same to me, but is that between Stockton and Sacramento?

It happened a couple of miles south of Pocket/Meadow View Rds, where the extension of Cosumnes River Blvd from Franklin to I-5 connects. The area coned-off is where the construction vehicles are supposed to accelerate before merging unto the #1 lane just to the north of where I was parked in the first photo. Instead, the water truck driver cut thru the cones about 100 feet north of the overpass and hit me. Coming along the slight curve to the west, I only had a few seconds from when I first saw him to him hitting my truck.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a minor fender bender to me. Happened to us in our '98 Cummins Ram on I-75 a few years ago with about the same amount of damage. Young lady reaching for the CD she dropped and steered into the side of us. It did way more damage to her dad's Camaro. We lucked out too that no one lost control.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Really doubt there is any frame damage to your truck, the feed pipe broke at the threads, the weakest part of the pip, and by the looks of things no support outside of the coupling.

Agreed! I cannot fathom that causing frame damage or spring damage. Sucks that it happened though!
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
When it is all said and done, you will have a truck worth at least 25% less than an equivalent truck that has not been in an accident. Sorry, but unless they compensate you for your total loss, you are taking it in the back....

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear about the trip cancelations but glad to hear no one was injuried.

Did the other guy realize he was in an accident and stop?

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
You can rent a TV from Enterprise Rent A Truck. This shouldn't ruin your vacations. His insurance will have to pay the rental.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST