cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nash 25C or Lance 2185 Travel Trailer?

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we've narrowed our search for a four-season TT that has bunks for our kids and are trying to decide betw the Nash 25C or the Lance 2185.

It almost seems that Nash "copied" the Lance as the Nash 25C just came out and Lance has been making the similar floorplan for a couple yrs - I think since 2011? or 2012?

We like the lightweight aluminum-frame construction of the Lance over the wood construction of the Nash.

However, there is more storage/wardrobe space in the Nash, with a larger counter in the kitchen, and I like the style of it better. I'm a "foodie" and one of the main reasons I like to "bring my kitchen along via a travel trailer" is so that I can prepare wholesome meals without eating junk/spending lots of $$$ in restaurants.

The new Nash could be bought for probably about $8000 cheaper too.

Any comments or ideas?

Thanks for all your help in the past.

Mary Kay in Ohio
92 REPLIES 92

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, my dh is just about 6 ft 3 in and we tried out the Lance full bed and it was fine. We even tried the one with the sofa conversion (sit & sleep, I think it's called) too and he liked it, but it has a little dip by your butt, wo we figure we'll put some sort of foam right under that part. It didn't bother me at all, but I'm much smaller/lighter so that might be the reason. I'm also just not as picky LOL.

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, my dh is just about 6 ft 3 in and we tried out the Lance full bed and it was fine. We even tried the one with the sofa conversion (sit & sleep, I think it's called) too and he liked it, but it has a little dip by your butt, wo we figure we'll put some sort of foam right under that part. It didn't bother me at all, but I'm much smaller/lighter so that might be the reason. I'm also just not as picky LOL.

Mary Kay

marykays1
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68,

I am sev'l emails behind....sorry...I'm a busy home schooling mom, LOL----but yes, I only have two kids. Nevertheless, it would be VERY easy to turn those two bunks into three. Just either have them cut out the bottom divider, or you can do it, and add a mattress. I was thinking of doing this anyway for when they'd have friends come along.

Will get back to you on some of your other notes later...Oh geez, another tt to consider....LOL

Mary Kay

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

The full queen in FunFinder just came out this year I think. Was looking at a 214WSD. They also have a vaulted ceiling for us taller folk, with what looks like a block foam insulation roof. Amazing how spacious such a short trailer can be. All walls are laminated, except the front cap. Solid cabinetry and lots of drawers/cupboards. According to the sticker, each axle had a GAWR of 3945#, very good for a 6175# GVWR trailer.

But then I saw the sewer drains and valves sticking down underneath. Looked like they were only 6" from the ground. I'm sure they would get ripped off the first time we went out. Very poor design, and the whole under-belly looked like an after thought. Also, only 3 small cabinet vents for the 20K furnace, and only 30+6 gal fresh water tank.

Mmmm, I would be very interested in what the underbelly on the Lance & KZ are like in comparison.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
Cheers for the heads up brulaz, it's all good much needed info as I won't be able to physically see any of these until I land on your soil in March next year. No doubt ill need the furnace over there but not bothered about it once I've got it back in Oz!

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mik68 wrote:
Fun finder has full queen as does Lance if it matters? Does for me as i'm over 6ft. KZ & Nash only appear to have 'mini queens'. Nothing worse than not been able to stretch out in your own bed i say.

The full queen in FunFinder just came out this year I think. Was looking at a 214WSD. They also have a vaulted ceiling for us taller folk, with what looks like a block foam insulation roof. Amazing how spacious such a short trailer can be. All walls are laminated, except the front cap. Solid cabinetry and lots of drawers/cupboards. According to the sticker, each axle had a GAWR of 3945#, very good for a 6175# GVWR trailer.

But then I saw the sewer drains and valves sticking down underneath. Looked like they were only 6" from the ground. I'm sure they would get ripped off the first time we went out. Very poor design, and the whole under-belly looked like an after thought. Also, only 3 small cabinet vents for the 20K furnace, and only 30+6 gal fresh water tank.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
I know the 'Travel trailer comparison guide' by Randal Eaton. Is not gospel but i'm sorry to say Woodglue your Lance only makes it into the Economy class but does have an 'above average' rating. Where as Cruiser rv made it into Premium class & KZ at the top of 'Above average' class. Does this matter? who know's but it is a very interesting read for those of us purchasing a American TT for the 1st time. I'm like a sponge at the moment & taking in any info I can get. 🙂 I love these forum's.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
Fun finder has full queen as does Lance if it matters? Does for me as i'm over 6ft. KZ & Nash only appear to have 'mini queens'. Nothing worse than not been able to stretch out in your own bed i say.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
marykays1 wrote:
Mike E,

Thanks. Thanks a lot! LOL, I only saw a couple KZ's and ruled them out due to the small kitchen/counters etc. Now I've done a search for used ones and have come up with a ton of them. No, the kitchen is not ideal, however we could possibly find a used bunkhouse model for WAY cheaper than a new one....I just don't know the quality of a KZ and it doesn't appear that they're automatically a four-season camper, which is very important to us.

Anyone have any thoughts on the KZ's?

Man, they sure do have a ton of floorplans.....I don't even know where they're made.

Thanks again Mike E!

Mary Kay

Another one we've been concidering as well as the KZ & Lance is Cruiser rv, they have a lot of floor plans that may suit in the Fun finder & Shadow cruiser range. Just to confuse you further. Don't know how this stacks up build wise, but they get a high rating in the 'Travel trailer comparison guide by Randal Eaton. Nash don't really cater for having 3 kids so I guessed you have 2?

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
No comparison for us. Nash trailers have been around since 1994(?) and are built sturdy. They make their own heavy duty frames. (No Lippert concerns.) More ground clearance just means that you don't need to sweat speed bumps, gas station driveways, or off-road use. Lance is a good company, but hasn't been building trailers nearly as long as Northwood.

True, but Lance has been building Truck Campers since 1964 and started building Travel Trailers in 2008-2009. So they do have a solid and reputable company who stands behind their products. They also use BAL/Norco Frames on the TT, not Lippert.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
No comparison for us. Nash trailers have been around since 1994(?) and are built sturdy. They make their own heavy duty frames. (No Lippert concerns.) More ground clearance just means that you don't need to sweat speed bumps, gas station driveways, or off-road use. Lance is a good company, but hasn't been building trailers nearly as long as Northwood.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
I don't think Lance would make my short list until they start putting in ducted A/C. Sorry Woodglue...

This is one of our problems with the Lance. A well designed, ducted A/C really cuts down on noise, and whether one spot is freezing while another is hot. Same with the heat ducting. AFAIK,Lance doesn't use floor vents, just those little round vents in the cabinetry.

Another issue with Lance is the small wheels, low ground clearance (though you can lift the axles), and, for their longer trailers, I just don't trust the light weight Bal/Norco frames.

The Nash is built to handle off-road as well as 4-season. It has a higher road clearance, beefier frame, axles and tires. And yes, wood framing has much better insulating properties than Al.

As for KZ, when we looked, they didn't seem that 4-season capable as either the Nash or Lance. Can you get dual pane windows? If not, they're probably not really 4-season capable.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think Lance would make my short list until they start putting in ducted A/C. Sorry Woodglue...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
rhinowino wrote:
We have been trying to decide between the Nash 25C and the Lance 2185 (we like the bunks for the kids) and need a true 4 seasons TT. Since I am in So Cal only 2 hrs from Lance factory that has some appeal. I also like the Lance product since they have seem to have thought about all the little things. The Nash on the other hand appears to be built on a better in house chassis, has a solid reputation (Northwood), has more ground clearance, is a few thousand less and the biggest item for me is the generator option (propane). I am not aware of any other TT that has a generator. Northwood dealers are few and far between in Southern California but my research indicates that Northwood will cooperate with most RV repair places for warranty work. The extra weight of the Nash isn't an issue since I have a Ford 2012 diesel f250. I welcome any comments good or bad. We still haven't ruled out a Attitude Toy hauler either.

Lance is a true 4 Seasons Trailer. Just because it isn't heavy like a Nash or Arctic Fox doesn't detract from the fact that it's a 4 Season certified RV.

Heavy doesn't make something better, and in the case of Nash, they're still using typical "house insulation" in the walls, so this gives this type of insulation to settle or debride over the years. Lance uses Azdel substrate w/ extruded polystyrene.

Lance is built on a BAL/Norco chassis which is a fine choice (Lance doesn't use cheap 3rd party vendors)

Lance has gone the distance to make the lightest, strongest travel trailer available to the public

You're close to the Lance factory. Go take a free tour of the facility and see for yourself the quality that goes into each unit. If nothing else, you'll become acquainted with modern manufacturing techniques (CNC Routers, use of Lite-Ply wood, PEX plumbing) Pinch rolled extruded polystyrene wall materials, with Azdel, etc)

Don't forget that now the 2014 Lance RV's all carry A 2 YEAR WARRANTY.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
If you want true 4 season go Nash, also the ground clearance is better on the Nash.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander