cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a different TV, please don't throw popcorn!

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Current TV is a '09 Nissan Titan which was fine for the old 18' TT, but last spring we bought a 21' TH. Depending on how I load I'm either right at, or a couple hundred over, my GVWR 😞
Hills and/or a head wind make it work pretty hard and shift frequently, I average around 6.0 mpg when towing.
Obviously I need a 3/4 ton but here are my questions:
If I go diesel (probably used) anything to watch out for? Looks like I should avoid the 6.0L PSD, watch out for certain fuel pumps, etc?
A gasser is not out of the question, and for those who have one I'd like information about power and MPG pulling a 8,000# TH or similar.
Truck will most likely be a daily driver.
Thanks!
Greg
35 REPLIES 35

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
the bear II wrote:
2500/F250 crewcab longbed dually would be my choice. This gives you flexibility extra cargo room and security if you add a campershell/cap. You'll be able to tow your current TH and anything you may want in the future.

This is my favorite post this year so far...

We have no idea how many people he needs to move, but he needs a crewcab.

We have no idea what his parking situation is nor do we know if he needs to carry anything in the bed of his truck, but he needs a longbed.

But the piece de resistance is the 3/4 ton DUALLY.

Bravo sir... bravo.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Tom: a toolbox so I don't clutter up the back seat area with jumper cables and such.
Tragusa; that depends on who you ask. The Cummins is ready to go but some recommend a 500 mile break in to let the transmission and rear end gears mesh before putting a load on them.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Taurus18 wrote:
The die is cast and the paperwork signed. The dealer just needs to put on the wheel locks, splash guards and detail it out;
2016 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 with the Cummins.
9 days until towing the TH 720 miles to TN.
Thanks for everyone's input!

Congratulations! I think you would have been happy either way, but you're going to love that Cummins.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Taurus18 wrote:
Well, after LOTS of research, test drives, discussions, etc. it has come down to choosing between a 2015 Ford Super Duty w/6.7 PSD and a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Option wise and price wise they are about even

Both are great trucks and will pull your house off its foundation if needed. That's one heavy 21 foot toy hauler. My 21 foot is 5,400 pounds and I think it's heavy.

Either way, going diesel is the only way to go in my opinion. I don't think everyone who were pitching gas engines were reading how heavy your trailer is.

Among those trucks, I personally prefer, and am kinda looking for, a 2015 GMC Denali Duramax. My reason is it's a little smaller than the others and mine is a daily driver. I had a Ford for a while and those few inches are noticeable. I sacrifice in interior room however so really there are trade offs either way.

All three are pretty reliable now. I think the Chevy and Ford get a little better mileage from tests I read. Chevy seems to squat less when loaded. I do like the RAM as well, and if it wasn't a daily driver, the mega cab would be pretty sweet.

Sounds like you've driven them all and have your preference, can't go wrong either way. Here's more reading material.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2014-ultimate-one-ton-hd-challenge.html
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned a diesel...do they recommend a break in period before towing? If so, you may be driving alot in the next nine days... Congrats on your decision!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck! I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

Now, what shall we do to accessorize?

Have fun!
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Here's wishing you many miles and years of happy, trouble free vacations with it. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
The die is cast and the paperwork signed. The dealer just needs to put on the wheel locks, splash guards and detail it out;
2016 Ram Laramie 2500 4x4 with the Cummins.
9 days until towing the TH 720 miles to TN.
Thanks for everyone's input!

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
I tow 7,000 lbs with my 2013 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi and 3.73 gear. It does a fantastic job! I Average 8.5 mpg at 62mph, 2000 rpm in 5th gear. I think any of the big 3 gas 2500 will work fine for your needs.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Taurus18 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Taurus18 wrote:
Well, after LOTS of research, test drives, discussions, etc. it has come down to choosing between a 2015 Ford Super Duty w/6.7 PSD and a 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. Option wise and price wise they are about even

Which one runs the CP4 injection pump?

Done with arrangement.

My understanding is both Ford and GM run the Bosch 4.2 fuel pump. Seems to have had lots of problems a couple years ago, still looking in to more recent failures.

That's correct, and the Cummins still uses the CP3. I heard they made some improvements on the CP4 but I think the underlying issue of massive damage when a failure does occur is still a problem. In other words, perhaps it's less likely to fail, but if it does it's still going to blow up the fuel system to the tune of a $10-12k repair. CP3 failures can occur too but the difference is they don't damage anything - you just swap in a new pump and you're on your way.

They're both awesome and capable trucks. It's your call whether you want to roll the dice on the injection pump or not. I decided I didn't want to take that risk, but then I also liked some other things about the Ram better too so it wasn't really that tough of a call or me. A reasonable person can prefer any of the big diesels right now - they're all really impressive rigs.

What IdaD said!
Either is a capable rig. But for proven reliability and simplicity, I went Ram also. And my previous 4 trucks were Ford. Not one regret so far either. The Cummins is just awfully hard to beat.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Taurus18 wrote:
Flashman wrote:
Taurus18 wrote:

Done with arrangement.

My understanding is both Ford and GM run the Bosch 4.2 fuel pump. Seems to have had lots of problems a couple years ago, still looking in to more recent failures.

That's correct, and the Cummins still uses the CP3. I heard they made some improvements on the CP4 but I think the underlying issue of massive damage when a failure does occur is still a problem. In other words, perhaps it's less likely to fail, but if it does it's still going to blow up the fuel system to the tune of a $10-12k repair. CP3 failures can occur too but the difference is they don't damage anything - you just swap in a new pump and you're on your way.

They're both awesome and capable trucks. It's your call whether you want to roll the dice on the injection pump or not. I decided I didn't want to take that risk, but then I also liked some other things about the Ram better too so it wasn't really that tough of a call or me. A reasonable person can prefer any of the big diesels right now - they're all really impressive rigs.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go with whichever one you like the best- looks and ride. They are all good today. Don't let the fear mongers effect your decision.

Taurus18
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
Taurus18 wrote:

Done with arrangement.

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taurus18 wrote:

Done with argument.